few questions before beginning an AR build - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > few questions before beginning an AR build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2008, 06:05 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by falseharmonix View Post
Balloo93, i've actually heard the opposite about the wylde....That it offers a compromise in size/chamber pressure of the round to work in either 5.56 or .223 safely, but that the accuracy is not up to snuff when compared to using the round specifically made for the rifle (ie, only 5.56 rounds in 5.56 rifles, and only .223 rounds in .223 rifles)
That's correct. A chamber that is cut for a specific round dimension is ALWAYS going to be more accurate than any type of combination chamber.

The thing is though, with a 16" barreled AR-15; you aren't going to be shooting sub moa groups and you aren't going to be hitting soda cans at 500 yards. That is not what you are building.

Quote:
My next question is about barrels. Theres stainless, chrome lined, non-chrome lined....what does everyone here recommend? I'm assuming the stainless is the easiest to maintain, but I'm up for suggestions and experienced insight.
A chrome lined barrel isn't as accurate, as has been discussed on numerous occassions, it was designed to handle heavy, full auto, constant rounds down range. The nice thing is, again, you aren't building a benchrest rifle here, so in a "field quality" AR, that you can shoot Minute of Bad Guy all day long, there is nothing wrong with a chrome lined barrel.

Now, if you are building Varminter, with a 20" barrel, sure go with a S/S Douglas or Shilen, or a precision cut rifled barrel from one of the great makers up in the Wisconsin/Minnesota area ( Mike Rock / Krieger ).

But, for a Standard build, 16", home defense, paper punching rifle - there is nothing wrong with having a chrome lined barrel. It won't be AS accurate, but for Minute of Bad Guy accuracy rifle, there won't be anything to worry about and you will get good, long term use from it.

JD

Old 08-26-2011, 07:10 AM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 4

Just pointing out that I'm reading ALL of these "build" posts with great interest. I too have been day-dreaming about a 20" stainless bbl.