Failure to feed first round.
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Failure to feed first round.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2012, 11:30 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 73 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Failure to feed first round.

My newish AR is having issues feeding the first round.
Spikes dissipator upper, M4 feed ramps that look properly aligned, not mismatched.

Issue appeared today, out of nowwhere.

I'm using the same ammo (bulk federal XM193 or whatever) and the same mags that i've used before (pmags) with no issues. I had something like 200 rounds through the gun previously before this happened out of the blue.

it hasnt been cleaned since the last time i went shooting, maybe 60 rounds since cleaned.

It wont strip the first round from the mag on its own. I drop the bolt and it goes about 1/3rd of the way forward and gets stuck. if i pull the charging handle back, and let it fly again, it'll go into battery.

After that, the gun cycles flawlessly.

If i take the mag out, with say only 20 rounds in it, unload it, reinsert the bag and either pull the charging handle or drop the bolt it'll do the same thing. doesnt matter how many rounds are in the mag.

It looks like the bullet is getting stuck in the notches at the top of the feed ramp where the bolt locks in (sorry, i dont know the terms in mnew to AR's).

The feed ramps or notches in the barrel extention pinch and gouge the bullet, its leaving deep gouges in the jacket.

ideas?

like i said, it cycles fine once its loaded, but it just out of nowhere started to refuse to strip the first round.

you can faintly see the gouge on the bullet.

Andrew - Landscape architecture student. Not landscaper

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-15-2012, 12:36 AM   #2
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3277 Times on 1584 Posts
Likes Given: 1645

Dr.

The first thing I would suggest and the easiest diagnosis of the problem would be to get a standard metal new magazine and see if you still experience the problem. My bet is as follows from your explanation and photos.
My thought is that is definitely the PMags. Not that PMags are bad but if you leave them fully loaded for a period of time they tend to spread out the Magazine Lips causing the problem you are speaking of. That is why the military does not use them as standard issue due to this problem.
If the standard magazine does not solve your problem which I think it will. The next issue to address would be the Buffer Spring and in that order. 1. Magazine Test with New Metal Mil-Spec or same quality magazine. And then the #2 CAR Buffer Spring getting weal although I doubt that this is your problem.
Also from the chamber pictures I was concerned that there may have been Wolf varnish coated ammunition fired in the weapon which builds up in the chamber and causes problems if not totally removed. However may just be a shadow from the photo process? Try a New Mag first!
Let us know what you find out!

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 07-15-2012, 12:43 AM   #3

These mags are all newish. Some have sat with ammo in them for 1 month, and one of them was literally brand new.

Ill still try tho!

Like I said the strange thing is it literally happened out of nowhere. And it happened s with every.Mag, even the brand new one

Old 07-15-2012, 12:44 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1146 Times on 803 Posts
Likes Given: 1162

Kinda looks like the case neck catches on the feed ramp. Does it always happen when feeding from the right magazine lip, because that right feed ramp doesn't look quite as good as the other. Sounds like something that will work itself out with more rounds down the pipe but this shouldn't happen in the first place.
US Army 1966-69, VFW Life Member, Retired Geek

Old 07-15-2012, 01:12 AM   #5
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

DR.

Also make sure you Gas tube is in proper alignment. If the gun was a kit gun and the barrel nut was not properly aligned and slightly out of alignment. This will definitely cause the problem you are having. Misalignment can also be caused by cleaning and bending the Gas Tube in the Receiver causing misalignment with the Gas Tube. To check this remove your upper from the lower. Take your Bolt out of your Carrier and return your Carrier into the Upper and move the Carrier and Carrier Key back and forth over the Gas Tube with your hand. You will be able to feel any bind or flex of the Gas tube you have located your problem. If you do and it has a bind this could attribute to your problem you are describing. It happens all the time in our classes when the student does not properly align the Barrel Nut for the Gas Tube assembly. Alignment must be perfect! When proper alignment is achieved with the Barrel Nut when barreling a rifle the gas tube should be *Easily inserted into the receiver through the Delta Ring Assembly and Gas Tube Hole in the front of the Receiver. With the Gas Tube on one side or the other of the front sight when pushing it in to the Receiver no resistance should be felt. Either side is acceptable! Very few times will it fit with no resistance on both sides of the front sight! One side is FINE! Which ever side works with no resistance! If it is forced you will also get the same issue that you are experiencing. I do not know if this rifle was built by the factory or someone for you but something to check also. I suggested the Mag first because it is the easiest!
As you are aware it is hard sometimes to diagnose a rifle by posts! But we will help all we can. There are many here with a lot of experience with the Black Gun!
Send us a photo of the Gas Tube in the Receiver from a 90 degree angle shooting in the bottom of the upper receiver if you can! And also a shot from the rear down the Charging Handle channel of the Gas Tube end!

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Last edited by Sniper03; 07-15-2012 at 01:14 AM.

Old 07-15-2012, 01:22 AM   #6

Liked 717 Times on 468 Posts
Likes Given: 1952

My PMAGs stayed loaded for like a year and they still work fine and there is no spread at all.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

كافر

Old 07-15-2012, 01:40 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03 View Post
DR.

Also make sure you Gas tube is in proper alignment. If the gun was a kit gun and the barrel nut was not properly aligned and slightly out of alignment. This will definitely cause the problem you are having. Misalignment can also be caused by cleaning and bending the Gas Tube in the Receiver causing misalignment with the Gas Tube. To check this remove your upper from the lower. Take your Bolt out of your Carrier and return your Carrier into the Upper and move the Carrier and Carrier Key back and forth over the Gas Tube with your hand. You will be able to feel any bind or flex of the Gas tube you have located your problem. If you do and it has a bind this could attribute to your problem you are describing. It happens all the time in our classes when the student does not properly align the Barrel Nut for the Gas Tube assembly. Alignment must be perfect! When proper alignment is achieved with the Barrel Nut when barreling a rifle the gas tube should be *Easily inserted into the receiver through the Delta Ring Assembly and Gas Tube Hole in the front of the Receiver. With the Gas Tube on one side or the other of the front sight when pushing it in to the Receiver no resistance should be felt. Either side is acceptable! Very few times will it fit with no resistance on both sides of the front sight! One side is FINE! Which ever side works with no resistance! If it is forced you will also get the same issue that you are experiencing. I do not know if this rifle was built by the factory or someone for you but something to check also. I suggested the Mag first because it is the easiest!
As you are aware it is hard sometimes to diagnose a rifle by posts! But we will help all we can. There are many here with a lot of experience with the Black Gun!
Send us a photo of the Gas Tube in the Receiver from a 90 degree angle shooting in the bottom of the upper receiver if you can! And also a shot from the rear down the Charging Handle channel of the Gas Tube end!
Awesome, thanks for the advice!

Ill definitely check into the gas tube issues as explained above.

I built the lower but I bought the upper complete from spikes. I just changed the handguard. It worked fine for about 200 rounds.

Is it normal for the barrel extension to marr the projectile so much?

In the pictures it does look like the neck is getting hung up, but its not, its the bullet itself that's getting stuck in the notches at the top of the feed ramps. Is it possible that they are just too sharp or pointy?

Old 07-15-2012, 02:06 AM   #8
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Still sounds like a mag problem to me!

But
#1 Check the Magazine first They are the #1 Cause of AR and M-16
Malfunctions.
#2 Check the gas tube alignment
#3 Check out another Buffer Spring

Good Luck and let us know if you need any additional ideas.

Sputnik that is good but we have seen several with the problem.

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 07-15-2012, 02:12 AM   #9

Liked 1148 Times on 744 Posts
Likes Given: 2039

Get some steel cased ammo and let it work those sharp edges down

Old 07-15-2012, 05:48 AM   #10

buddy lent me a functional steel mag, i'll fiddle with it tomorrow.