Failure to Eject
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Failure to Eject

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2014, 01:32 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Default Failure to Eject

Hey guys,

Hoping I can get some help here have an AR-15 that has operated flawlessly
putting more then 1000 rounds through it in fact took it to the range about 2 weeks ago,and all was fine. Lastnight however first round out of a Magpul pmag shooting Brown Bear 223 55 gr. I had a failure to eject. It didnt sound quite right like a weak round,and I literallly had to pull out my bolt carrier group and beat the expended cartidge out of the barrel. and the rim seemed extremely sharp. I reassembled the weapon after an eyeball inspection of bolt carrier group and barrel, it now cycles a round into the chamber and I pull the magazine and it will eject. but I have not fired sense reassemble, any thoughts?

Steve

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-19-2014, 01:35 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6724 Times on 3580 Posts
Likes Given: 504

steel cased ammo is cheap. most likely an undersized case.

long as the bore is clear of obstruction should be fine. anytime a firearm malfunctions for any reason check the bore for obstructions before loading a fresh round even if a bullet strike is thought to be observed
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent
Franklin1995 Likes This 
Old 06-19-2014, 01:57 AM   #3

Liked 3253 Times on 1670 Posts
Likes Given: 4906

First round out...? How many times have you cycled that round in, then put it back in the top of the mag...? Just a thought...

Old 06-19-2014, 02:25 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 481 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 947

Isn't brown bear some cheap steel case ammo? I didn't think most ARs liked steel case.

Like JonM said, as long as the bore is clear, the only way to find out is to go shoot some more!

Old 06-19-2014, 02:44 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

depends on the rifle. but its really not a rifle problem but a problem with cheap ammo made with a casing the gun was not designed to run. charge weights can vary greatly in cheap steel and i think this has a lot to do with it as does improper coatings on the cases.

chrome lined chambers and 556 chamberings mitigate some of these issues.

the other biggee with 556/223 is the shallow angle of the case wall from the base of the shoulder to the start of the rim. the rooskies use a step angle in their 5.45 x39 and x54r offerings. reason for it is to ease extraction.

if you have a really tight chamber that isnt chrome lined and coupled with iffy coating makes for a rough time using steel in an ar15. this can be exacerbated by running a carbine length gas system or an over gassed gun both of which are very common in cheap low end offerings like s&w dpms bushmaster and some psa guns and other brands looking to cut corners.

when you have a over gas situation or a carbine length the bolt is moving very very fast. steel does not retract from the expansion of hot gasses as fast or as much as brass does making it more difficult to extract. a stronger extractor spring or adding a black extractor o-ring can strengthen the extractor and make it easier for the bolt to yank out stubborn steel cases

this isnt saying if you own a gun with all pr some of these conditions you cannot run steel cases or it wont it just means the chances of problems will be higher.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 06-19-2014 at 02:56 AM.
therukh Likes This 
Old 06-19-2014, 02:46 AM   #6

Liked 59 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 78

How does the chamber look? Is it clean, Does it have grime in or around it? My experiences with steel cased ammo has been fine but I keep my firearms very clean when shooting it. Usually steel cases stick because they don't seal the chamber as well as brass and this allowed powder and other dirt to gunk up the chamber causing stuck cases. could also be caused by case size or perhaps even a undercharge. I would check the barrel and the chamber to make sure nothing was damaged.

Old 06-19-2014, 02:51 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 195 Times on 126 Posts
Likes Given: 105

Have you broken down the BCG completely and inspected the extractor assy?

Old 06-19-2014, 03:00 AM   #8

Liked 3253 Times on 1670 Posts
Likes Given: 4906

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCody View Post
How does the chamber look? Is it clean, Does it have grime in or around it? My experiences with steel cased ammo has been fine but I keep my firearms very clean when shooting it. Usually steel cases stick because they don't seal the chamber as well as brass and this allowed powder and other dirt to gunk up the chamber causing stuck cases. could also be caused by case size or perhaps even a undercharge. I would check the barrel and the chamber to make sure nothing was damaged.
And sometimes the steel cased will have a light film on it to prevent rust in storage, when the barrel warms up, the stuff can get sticky...
Old 06-19-2014, 03:01 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4103 Times on 2791 Posts
Likes Given: 2033

Brown Bear has lacquered cases. In a very hot, fouled up AR chamber they do get sticky.

Not a problem in the AK's, probably because the cycle is over-powered, and the chamber gets less residue.
rn-cindy Likes This 
Old 06-19-2014, 03:08 AM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

you can test for lacquer by using denatured alcohol on a rag. denatured alcohol removes lacquer instantly. i doubt your going to find any lacquered steel as it was stopped being used ages ago.

People Like This