Fail Zero BCG's ? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Fail Zero BCG's ?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2012, 02:59 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
fsted2a's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,109
Liked 224 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 308

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by billt View Post
That is the biggest drawback these things suffer from right now. A large increased cost in a horrible economy. Anyone who wants to build an AR, or replace a BCG on a budget, can find standard models substantially cheaper. Because of that, it will be only the hard core AR enthusiasts that will shell out the additional funds to buy them.
I just don't have the money to buy another carrier. You can go to their website and they are about 155 bucks plus shipping, tax, etc.
http://www.failzero.com/buynow.html?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flyp age-ask.tpl&product_id=9&category_id=1
That is cheap enough.
__________________

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin


Last edited by fsted2a; 08-02-2012 at 03:10 PM.
fsted2a is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 03:16 PM   #22
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Phoenix, Arizona,Glendale, Arizona
Posts: 1,642
Liked 157 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 119

Default

I was referring to the complete drop in BCG.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=27448/Product/AR-15-BOLT-CARRIER-GROUP-EXO-TREATED-NICKEL-BORON

They run around the $250.00 mark. I would imagine slightly less without the hammer.

__________________
billt is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 04:33 PM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
sweeper22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,423
Liked 252 Times on 198 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Default

Shoulda probably sent $150 or so to BCM...(sorry to rub salt in the wounds).

I'm sure your FailZero will be fine and I hope you love it. I've been working on a build lately and it seems like there are few quality $100-150 BCGs out there right now. I'll probably get the BCM, but would be quite happy to spend $120 on one of the Spike's BCGs. Everything that's in stock at the places I frequent is either basic commercial grade or blinged out $200+ nickel boron.

I might try the Spike's nickel boron at some point, but I'll probably go with a milspec BCM or Spikes with the current project.

Buy whatever you'll enjoy and take pride in. It may not always be the most pragmatic decision...but if you're going to lean on this gun for many years to come, paying an extra $50-100 for your own sense of pride isn't such a huge loss in my opinion.

__________________
"The Future is Unwritten"

Last edited by sweeper22; 08-02-2012 at 04:35 PM.
sweeper22 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 04:40 PM   #24
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
fsted2a's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,109
Liked 224 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 308

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by billt View Post
I was referring to the complete drop in BCG.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=27448/Product/AR-15-BOLT-CARRIER-GROUP-EXO-TREATED-NICKEL-BORON

They run around the $250.00 mark. I would imagine slightly less without the hammer.
My bad. They run the same on fail zero's site.
__________________

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin

fsted2a is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 12:18 AM   #25
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Quentin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Idaho
Posts: 6,568
Liked 1018 Times on 715 Posts
Likes Given: 1016

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
Seems contradictory from the guy who recommends cheap AR parts/rifles because "they are as good as" Colt, BCM, DD, LMT, etc. and says you can throw parts from many ARs of different manufacturers in a huge salad bowl and mix 'n' match. Bottom line, there is a standard out there that normally you're wise to be aware of. Buy too cheap, fine but don't say as good as. Buy into the hype and pay more, you don't get a free pass to say better. Prove it in an AR, not in an engine.

The FZ BCM should work fine but my choice would be the $150 BCM that you could buy by the thousands and use reliably in the military's M16 family of rifles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by billt View Post
Look, I'm not going to get into a pissing match with you over this. I'm still enjoying the fact your buddy has finally departed, (hopefully for good this time). The fact is these coatings have been well proven to work in the applications they're used in. In an apples to apples comparision between like parts, (i.e. Bushmaster, DPMS, Colt, RRA, S&W, Stag, BCM, ect.), there isn't much if any difference in regards to wear and or longevity. All will wear at similar rates because all are manufactured from similar materials. Nickel Boron coated BCG's will wear less over time in similar circumstances, and be far easier to keep clean from carbon and like deposits. If they didn't, they wouldn't be used because there would be no benefit from the increased cost.

The fact that Larry Vickers, Pat Rogers, and the rest of the paid endorsers out there, are paid to endorse companies that employ standard BCG's means nothing as to the longevity and the ease of cleaning these coated BCG's provide. If you feel more comfortable using standard BCG's, that is fine. But please spare us all the "prove it to me" crap that gets tossed around as soon as something unconventional is offered. Prove it to yourself. That is what most of the users of these type of products do anyway.
Bill, you know you can find paid endorsers for just about any product, that's nothing new. I don't buy a touted product because of one person, I do my research then choose what's best for me. Anyway back on topic, bottom line, you can take a chance on a so-so BCG or pay the same to get a quality PSA or pay $150 to get BCM or equivalent. Up to you. Or you can pay $100 more for something coated that YOU claim to be better but haven't proved. I say save that $100 and put it into a better basic rifle, or TLR-1 or ammo or training. Makes more sense than a shiny, slick surface that may or may not need lube. Paid endorsers or not, you can bet the farm that BCM will be good enough.
__________________

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.
________________________________________
US Army 1966-69, VFW Life Member, Retired Geek

Quentin is online now  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 05:58 PM   #26
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
fsted2a's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,109
Liked 224 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 308

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
Bill, you know you can find paid endorsers for just about any product, that's nothing new.
I don't think Vulcan has enough money to convince anyone to endorse their crap Seriously, just because he-who-shall-not-be-named has not made an appearance on this forum in a while is not a reason for you two to go at it in his absence. There are some companies that are producing products which they believe is superior to the standard fare, and I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt until proven wrong. POF has Nickel based coatings on their BCG's and other components of their rifles, and have rifles that have gone tens of thousands of rounds with no lube and very few malfunctions, and out of those, majority are ammo related. I can't beleive this is exclusively the result of using the piston instead of DI. Just as there are lubes which are vastly superior in every way to the CLP we were issued in the military, I am sure there are ways of making the metal itself smooth enough to need little to no lube. Now whether or not having a slick BCG is worth the extra money is something the shooter will have to decide for himself. If I were putting an AR together for competitive shooting, everything would be on the table, including the BCG. For some saturday afternoon plinking, maybe not.
__________________

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin

fsted2a is offline  
billt Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 06:28 PM   #27
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Quentin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Idaho
Posts: 6,568
Liked 1018 Times on 715 Posts
Likes Given: 1016

Default

Fsted2a, you think that was bad, you otta see Bill and me go at it in the senior center!

__________________

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.
________________________________________
US Army 1966-69, VFW Life Member, Retired Geek

Quentin is online now  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
400$ fail tacticalfun Optics & Mounts 15 09-22-2012 11:54 PM
Babysitting fail. Overkill0084 The Club House 17 05-02-2012 09:16 PM
Grrr!! AR fail!! JonM AR-15 Discussion 12 04-19-2011 02:04 AM
Classic FAIL! c3shooter The Club House 1 02-07-2011 05:15 PM
Fail of the Day CA357 The Club House 5 08-10-2010 07:08 AM