Extractor O Ring
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Extractor O Ring

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2012, 12:37 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Liked 218 Times on 189 Posts
Likes Given: 64

Default Extractor O Ring

Hi guys, i noticed there's no O ring (Black round plastic ring) in my DD bolt extractor. But my Noveske and Spike's have them. Any important role out of it? Anyone had issues without having it in their bolts? Thank you.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-15-2012, 12:49 AM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by okdonk View Post
Hi guys, i noticed there's no O ring (Black round plastic ring) in my DD bolt extractor. But my Noveske and Spike's have them. Any important role out of it? Anyone had issues without having it in their bolts? Thank you.
Some manufacturers do not put the O ring in, others do. If the gun has a harsh recoil or shorter barrel you may want to add it. All it really does is reduce the shock to the extractor on recoil, a strong spring will absord most of the abuse without the ring. Check where the brass lands...if its on your toes or in the next county you may want to tame the recoil or add the O ring.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 07-15-2012, 12:50 AM   #3

Liked 1005 Times on 706 Posts
Likes Given: 1004

I don't use them and I don't think you need them in a carbine or rifle length barrel. My DD and BCM did not have the O ring installed but my ArmaLite bolt did. (I removed it years ago and never have extraction problems.) Now for SBRs and full auto you might need it.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 07-15-2012, 12:51 AM   #4
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2564 Times on 1252 Posts
Likes Given: 1287

okdonk,

I am certainly not a fan of the D-Ring as you referred to them as the O Ring!
If the rifle is a good quality rifle and built to specification they are totally unnecessary. In fact they add three to four times the grip strength to the Extractor Claw area of the Extractor not to mention to the "Brass" casing lip.
The last thing one would want to experience is the Extractor Claw breaking off or being worn to a much faster rate. In addition they can damage the ammunition lip on the casing especialy if the same ammo is loaded more then once in the weapon before fired. Of course someone is making money off of them and they fall into the Cool Chicks Dig It Category if you know what I mean. If one wants to increase the grip of the extractor on their Rifle they need only buy the Extractor Insert and Spring used in the Select Fire weapons. The Spring contains a "Black Insert" which is the strongest durometer of the Extractor Inserts.
One company that starts with a B in the past sold around 3000 ARs to a LE organization and the guns were not extracting! So they sent them a bunch of D Rings to solve the extraction problem. Sorry excuse for bad quality if you know what I mean. I have never seen an AR or other Stoner designed weapon malfunction due to the Extractor and Standard Extractor Insert that was not the subject of poor maintenance, weak spring from wear, worn, or broken extractor. So to answer your question it might seem cool but nothing I would recomend unless you have a weapon like one of the 3000 mentioned above.

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 07-15-2012, 01:14 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Oh ic. Thank you guys for the fast responds. That makes sense now, as you all mentioned the rings are usually used for shorter barrels. And yes my Noveske and Spike's are 10.5" barrels.
I was just worried if i might have lost or misplaces the ring from my DD bolt assembly during cleaning. Oh well it's a cheap replacement part anyway.
Thank you guys, appreciated it!

At least i know the DD guy always here whenever DD is mentioned.. right Q? *rolleyes*

Old 07-15-2012, 01:15 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I'm glad.. i'm learning something new here.

Old 07-15-2012, 02:15 AM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5694 Times on 2973 Posts
Likes Given: 379

bcm includes them with their BCG groups but they arent installed. its a brute force solution as stated above for a gun that is not built to spec. since bcm doesnt know what your putting their BGG in they include an oring in case you need one.

a too strong extractor can actually rip a chunk out of the rim or just snap right off. if your having difficult extractions you probably have a overgassing situation where the pressure hasnt dropped enough for the case to relax and be extracted. if your having fail to extract all of a sudden on a rifle thats been working forever you probably just need a new extractor spring as they DO wear out from time to time.

ive never seen a rifle that was built to spec and needed a oring

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 07-15-2012, 02:46 AM   #8

Liked 1131 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

My spikes 7.5" did not come with a Oring in the bolt and it operates just fine , puts a nice pile of casings about 3-4 ft from me between the 2-3:00 position. IMHO its a quick fix for a weak extractor spring until it can be replaced with a new spring

Last edited by purehavoc; 07-15-2012 at 02:49 AM.

Old 07-15-2012, 03:23 AM   #9
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2564 Times on 1252 Posts
Likes Given: 1287

OK,

You do not need them on the short barrels if you have the Black Insert and Spring.

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 07-15-2012, 04:01 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03
OK,

You do not need them on the short barrels if you have the Black Insert and Spring.

What black insert u r referring to? The one in the middle of the spring?