Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Everything you want to know about AR 15 models

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2008, 04:12 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3474 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger_sxt View Post

But few of us are patrol officers...
100% agreed. No argument from me on that fact. Very few rifles on this site will ever see the kind of "lawsuit defensible" type of situation that a LEO would encounter.

Also, few of us really need a $2,200 AR because it's the "best" according to a few guys who are professional operators.

JD

Old 11-29-2008, 05:24 AM   #12

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

As a matter of fact, I rarely listen to "professional operators" when it comes to who makes the best parts. It has been my experience that they know how to fight, how to use their guns, but are nearly clueless on the errata of parts...

Old 11-29-2008, 11:23 AM   #13
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1081 Times on 620 Posts
Likes Given: 507

Personally,you could not give my any gun that had the word Colt on it. They are just like every other been around forever company,you are just buying a name,not quality. Granted,they do make decent guns,but they are no where near the best out on the market in any class of gun- AR,1911,or SASS Revolvers. TXHB

Lifetime Member-
NRA
Texas State Rifle Association
North American Hunting Club

Old 11-29-2008, 02:27 PM   #14

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post
Personally,you could not give my any gun that had the word Colt on it. They are just like every other been around forever company,you are just buying a name,not quality. Granted,they do make decent guns,but they are no where near the best out on the market in any class of gun- AR,1911,or SASS Revolvers. TXHB
You are incorrect regarding the ARs, but thanks for playing.

Old 11-29-2008, 05:24 PM   #15

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Even though I have a few of the same brands they were comparing in that article...I've never been one to buy just because so-n-so said so, or because that's what this Spec-Op/LEO Swat/Secret Service/etc, etc. team is carrying this year, or because whatever reason.

I do read the material that the manufacturer's put out, to see what they used, how it was used, etc. As for performance, the only test that I would rely on, is the test that I would put it through, myself. I want to know how the gun reacts with how I handle it, the way I normally would handle it, how I shoot, what I load it with, what I choose to put in it and on it. Anything that anyone else has to say about it, that's fine. I will always listen - but I choose whether or not to hear.

For newbie's to the AR, sometimes that's all they can do is read and listen to what the experienced folks have to say. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, since you really don't have any practical knowledge to go by - yet. But as you gain that experience and knowledge, you will soon be able to read THROUGH some of the write-ups and comparisons, and make the right choices for yourself.

As for the article, eh...it's okay. But let's see a side-by-side, actual comparison, in the field, with a variety of ammo, fired by a group of unbiased operators, and put all the brands through the wringer. It's easy to sit back and say that this one or that one has all these attributes checked off, so they must be good, right? Oh well...just my .02.

Slo