ever built an AR-10???
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > ever built an AR-10???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2011, 05:50 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 55 Times on 31 Posts

Default ever built an AR-10???

I am wanting to built an ar 10 from parts but i have no idea were to start. I have never built a gun before. Any tipa pointers and info would be appritiated. Also how much do you think it will cost me?

Have Gun....Will Travel

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-14-2011, 06:15 AM   #2

Liked 42 Times on 34 Posts

There are a ton of places to get your build pieces. Do your research on the uppers and lowers and how much you're willing to spend. Dpms, Daniel defense as well as many other manufacturers make easy to build kits. You'll spend a little more with the. 308 platform so keep that in mind with your build. Ball park plan a descent build to run about $1000 +

"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."
~John F. Kennedy

Old 12-14-2011, 02:32 PM   #3

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I've built many AR10s and they are essentially an AR15, only bigger. Bear in mind they require a couple of bigger tools to assemble them, especially when installing the barrel assembly to the upper receiver.

Old 12-15-2011, 04:35 AM   #4

Liked 55 Times on 31 Posts

What kind of tools will i need? Screw drivers and basic stuff like that or will i have to make a trip to the hardware store for this?

Have Gun....Will Travel

Old 12-15-2011, 04:58 PM   #5

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 6

If you're assembling a true parts kit you won't find what you need at the hardware store. You'll need a block to secure the receiver and a barrel nut wrench, a pivot pin installation tool, a buffer tube wrench and a handguard tube wrench for starters. Buy them from Brownell's or borrow them from a friend. This assumes that the barrel and barrel extension are already attached and the bolt headspaces properly. Prepare for a lot of little parts in tight places. If you've never done a build I really encourage a lot of research, an experienced helper, or have it assembled. The tools are not cheap and are job specific, so you won't be able to use your AR10 barrel nut wrench for AR15 for instance. Other little items are handy such as a mag button installation tool, but not necessary, but the half punch pin for the bolt release is almost mandatory if you don't want to mar the receiver driving the pin in. While you're buying tools get real gun screwdrivers and get the right tools for cleaning and maintaining your new rifle. When you're done you can always sell the tools on Ebay if you don't need them any longer.

Assembling the rifle isn't particularly hard as there are plenty of books and videos widely available, but you need to exercise a lot of caution and patience to assemble it right and not damage the finish. Buying matched parts helps a lot, too.

Old 12-15-2011, 06:27 PM   #6

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

To me, AR10 = ArmaLite.

They are running their 2011 Holiday Sale right now with some decent prices on complete AR10 uppers and parts such as complete AR10 BCG's and barrels.

You would save a lot of the tooling cost by buying a complete upper if that is a concern to you.
A complete lower can be readily assembled using hand tools that a handy person will have in the garage or shop already.

Sources:

ArmaLite Inc

762SASS.com :: www.762sass.com

Be Well.