Eotech or Aimpoint - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Eotech or Aimpoint

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2012, 02:51 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I have two Aimpoint H-1s and two EOTech XPS 2-0s. They are both first-rate military grade red dot sights. They are pretty different in design philosophy.
The EOTech has the signature circle-dot reticle for which EOTech is known. This is a 65 MOA outer circle and a 1 MOA center dot. This approach has the advantage of perhaps a bit quicker acquisition. Put another way, if you pick your rifle up and want to quickly acquire a target, the EOTech circle-dot reticle probably is easier to quickly acquire. The downside to it is that some people say that the outer circle portion of the reticle can be distracting, and some would say that they prefer a simple red dot for a reticle.

Here is the reticle on the EOTech XPS2-0

The Aimpoint simple red dot reticle is small, bright, and lends itself well to precision shooting.

The Aimpoint hardware (i.e. the H-1) is somewhat smaller than the EOTech XPS series. Both are small enough for a medium sized pistol or revolver, however, and both are ideal for about any rifle.

The EOTech XPS series are open holographic design while the Aimpoint is a tube design.

The Aimpoint battery life is nothing short of sensational. They use patented circuitry that allows an Aimpoint to go for literally thousands of hours between batteries. The EOTech XPS series is rated for about 500 hours, give or take depending on intensity. The EOTech will shut itself off after either 4 or 8 hours. For non-combat situations the EOTech goes for a long time between batteries.

Hope this helped. I own both and like both.

Last edited by Redleg; 06-11-2012 at 02:54 AM.

Old 06-11-2012, 04:12 AM   #12

Liked 42 Times on 34 Posts

I'm a big fan of my EOTech 512. Yea its big and heavy but AA batteries just made sense. Look at it this way, when SHTF and you're scavenging for stuff, what household or business won't have AA's somewhere or in something? Not very many. They are everywhere! Used both, and having that 65 MOA outer circle really helps with the quicker target acquisition.

"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."
~John F. Kennedy

Old 06-11-2012, 06:17 AM   #13

Liked 1000 Times on 598 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by g17frantz
I'm a big fan of my EOTech 512. Yea its big and heavy but AA batteries just made sense. Look at it this way, when SHTF and you're scavenging for stuff, what household or business won't have AA's somewhere or in something? Not very many. They are everywhere! Used both, and having that 65 MOA outer circle really helps with the quicker target acquisition.
+1 love my 512

20120318_211357-1.jpg

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Old 06-11-2012, 06:32 AM   #14
Cancer Killa
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: -1 reviews

Liked 361 Times on 222 Posts
Likes Given: 645

I'm a huge EOTech fan, especially for CQB. Both eyes open and zero magnification.

Owner/Armorer at Argyle Armoring, LLC - FFL 07
NRA Life Member
What do I know? I'm only a professional.

Old 06-11-2012, 12:50 PM   #15

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I know I'm old school, and this is a bit cumbersome, but it works well for up close and personal. And very well at 200 -300 yards. Beyond that, I'd rather have my AR10 anyway.

aimpoint-system-lmt-m4-005.jpg  

Old 06-11-2012, 04:23 PM   #16

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Thanks for the input. I ordered the Eotech 512 this morning. I was leaning toward the Eotech before purchasing the RDS. I am not disappointed in the Sig STS 081. For the money spent, it works great. But, most of my buddies have Eotech, and I have some scope envy. Problem solved.

Old 06-11-2012, 06:25 PM   #17

Liked 19 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I had an EOtech 512, then went to an ACOG TA01, and now i've settled on an Aimpoint T-1. It is perfect for what I want. A small, lightweight, and durable sight. Long battery life, lots of tests proving its durability and repeatable zero with the right mount.

What do I shoot with? Canon gear of course

Old 06-11-2012, 07:10 PM   #18

Liked 1000 Times on 598 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesb
I had an EOtech 512, then went to an ACOG TA01, and now i've settled on an Aimpoint T-1. It is perfect for what I want. A small, lightweight, and durable sight. Long battery life, lots of tests proving its durability and repeatable zero with the right mount.
Did you not like the Acog?

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Old 06-13-2012, 07:31 PM   #19

Liked 19 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWray View Post
Did you not like the Acog?
Loved it! I just realized after I played with it at the range the T-1 was more suited to me.

I built it as a battle rifle/HD/SHTF and the 4x wasn't doing it in the home.

What do I shoot with? Canon gear of course