eotech :( - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > eotech :(

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2009, 03:38 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

When zeroing a rifle you NEVER obscure the target with the front post! Proper sight picture should be with the target sitting atop the front post. As far as red dot sights go, they are intended for rapid sight acquisition at moderate ranges. For self-defense pistols, red dots can be very helpful since the goal is to hit center of mass and not a target bullseye. Very few red dot sights, if any, will subtend less than a 4 moa dot (4" at 100yds.). Again, obscuration of the target is NOT the correct way to sight-in a rifle or pistol for that matter.

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 06-22-2009, 03:53 PM   #12

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

I suppose someone should step in here and point out that the EoTech is designed for Close Quarters, basically inside room to room and limited distance shooting.

It's not designed to be a target scope - a red dot on a man sized target at 100 yards is going to be PLENTY for a minute of bad guy scenario.

Now, as for shooting dimes at 100, you really need to have optics for that, a good target style scope.

Let's not forget that one of the big knocks against the Mil-Dot, and why all the advancement over the technology in reticles over the past 10 years, is because there are those "in the know" that feel the Mil Dot covers too much real estate to be a good "target/hunting" style scope.

As for the question of 3" at 300 - with iron sights, maybe, but with a competent shooter, and decent glass, you should be able to make that mark all day with a well built AR.

JD

Old 06-22-2009, 05:08 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Those EOTechs are designed for quick, minute of bad guy shooting at distances out to 300ish yards. They're not designed for precision target shooting.

You might want to look at something like a Pride and Fowler 1-4x24 illuminated: Rifle Scopes - Red Dot Pistol and Rifle Scopes Pride-Fowler, INC. Home of the Rapid Reticle or a Leupold Mark 4 1.5-5x20 MR/T: http://www.leupold.com/tactical/products/scopes/mark-4-mrt-riflescopes/mark-4-1-5-5x20mm-mrt-one-inch/

Both can fulfill the need for quick 'heads up' target acquisition, but still offer magnification and accurate shot delivery at greater distances.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 06-22-2009, 06:46 PM   #14

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

hey thanks guys i should have donr more research and thought about what i needed on my gun before i went and spent 400 dollars on the coolest hottest thing just to look cool. For right now i think im going to stick with the irons for minute of bg/coyote out to 100 or so and then try and sell the eotech and sink that money into my rifle build that i cant decide what to do with yet, decisions decisions 4,000 seems to burn holes in your pocket pretty fast

Old 06-22-2009, 07:00 PM   #15

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

How much you want for the EoTech?

Old 06-22-2009, 07:19 PM   #16

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
How much you want for the EoTech?
i was thinkin about 325 and ill include the YHM BUIS to make it an even 400

Old 06-22-2009, 11:23 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Sauce NARC View Post
hey thanks guys i should have donr more research and thought about what i needed on my gun before i went and spent 400 dollars on the coolest hottest thing just to look cool. For right now i think im going to stick with the irons for minute of bg/coyote out to 100 or so and then try and sell the eotech and sink that money into my rifle build that i cant decide what to do with yet, decisions decisions 4,000 seems to burn holes in your pocket pretty fast
IIRC, EOTech makes a magnifier that goes onto your rifle somehow.

edit: 3x unit that retrofits all HWS versions, available with flip away mounts: http://www.eotech-inc.com/products.php?id=3

That'll retain you precious EOTech and give you a 3x version of it for medium range engagements. It'll be much cheaper to go that route than either of the other two that I suggested eariler.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Last edited by matt g; 06-22-2009 at 11:26 PM.

Old 06-23-2009, 10:38 AM   #18
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
I suppose someone should step in here and point out that the EoTech is designed for Close Quarters, basically inside room to room and limited distance shooting.

It's not designed to be a target scope - a red dot on a man sized target at 100 yards is going to be PLENTY for a minute of bad guy scenario.

Now, as for shooting dimes at 100, you really need to have optics for that, a good target style scope.

Let's not forget that one of the big knocks against the Mil-Dot, and why all the advancement over the technology in reticles over the past 10 years, is because there are those "in the know" that feel the Mil Dot covers too much real estate to be a good "target/hunting" style scope.

As for the question of 3" at 300 - with iron sights, maybe, but with a competent shooter, and decent glass, you should be able to make that mark all day with a well built AR.

JD
Everything you said is true. However, adding a Bushnell red-dot really brought my shots together at 100yds. Another solution for me would have been to get a tapered front sight post. (But I was able to get the Bushnell for a song, so I figured what the heck.)

RL357Mag is right - never obscure your target with your front sight. Think "pumpkin on a post" when you're sighting in. My red dot sits perfectly in the middle with about half the diameter of the red dot is above my front post and it's about 1/4 the size of the front post as far as my eye is concerned when the intensity is set correctly. Like I said, this brought my group in very tight immediately.

Old 06-28-2009, 09:44 AM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I have a EOTech 512 on my 16" RRA flat-top AR. I can easily put 20 rounds in the black at 100 yards from a bench, when shooting semi-rapid fire (1 round per second - the shooting range's limit on rapid fire). I can do a bit better when taking more time for each shot, maybe 4" groups. But I bought the EOTechs (I have one on my AK as well) for the intended purpose - quick target acquisition at 100 yards or less. I have a Trijicon 4x32 ACOG on my old SP1 (carry handle mount), and it provides me with better groups at 200 yards than I can shoot with my .30-06 hunting rifle with a 4 x 12 scope!

Your results may vary - mine are limited by my own abilities (and my 55 year old bi-focal eyes!)

TXnorton