Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   eotech :( (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/eotech-15006/)

Hot Sauce NARC 06-21-2009 11:28 PM

eotech :(

i was bored today and since it was stupid hot i decided to punish myself and head out to the woods to do some shootin. I took the ar with the 512 eotech out and just for fun shot it at 35 yards with excellent results (50 cent size groups ......ok excellent for me) so then i set the target out to about 90 yards just to check if im still zeroed and im shooting at 4 inch withe on black targets, and the freaking red dot is covering the whole target. The targer essentially disappears behind the dot at that distance and it pissed me off so much i took off the red dot and put the carry handle back on, and once i found my zero again i was shooting 1 inch groups again so im gona keep the irons and dump the ultra taticool swat ninja stuff.

skullcrusher 06-21-2009 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hot Sauce NARC (Post 120223)
i was bored today and since it was stupid hot i decided to punish myself and head out to the woods to do some shootin. I took the ar with the 512 eotech out and just for fun shot it at 35 yards with excellent results (50 cent size groups ......ok excellent for me) so then i set the target out to about 90 yards just to check if im still zeroed and im shooting at 4 inch withe on black targets, and the freaking red dot is covering the whole target. The targer essentially disappears behind the dot at that distance and it pissed me off so much i took off the red dot and put the carry handle back on, and once i found my zero again i was shooting 1 inch groups again so im gona keep the irons and dump the ultra taticool swat ninja stuff.

You could not adjust the brightness until barely visible? The red dots in daylight are tough to see, but when adjusted to barely visible, you can see the target better. Jmho.

bkt 06-22-2009 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skullcrusher (Post 120228)
You could not adjust the brightness until barely visible? The red dots in daylight are tough to see, but when adjusted to barely visible, you can see the target better. Jmho.

Yeah, I'd suggest turning the brightness down. If the dot is bigger than your front sight, it's not worth much.

Hot Sauce NARC 06-22-2009 12:25 AM

well i know what you mean but if you turn it down then you cant see the dot, if you turn it up to see the dot it covers the target with the fuzzy edges of the dot you cant win.

feedsasquatch 06-22-2009 12:32 AM

Hotsauce, I'm thinking about getting an AR in the near future... How accurate are iron sights past 100 yards? Could you hit a 3" target at 300 yards with iron sights? If so, I might not bother with a scope if I get an AR...

Sorry for my noob questions, I'm more familiar with pistols and .22's under 100 yards...

skullcrusher 06-22-2009 12:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hot Sauce NARC (Post 120244)
well i know what you mean but if you turn it down then you cant see the dot, if you turn it up to see the dot it covers the target with the fuzzy edges of the dot you cant win.

I feel your pain, NARC. Like bkt said, if the dot has to be bigger than your front sight to see it, they are not much good. But, I always turn the brightness down until I barely see it. No fuzzies. How much of the target can you see at that distance with the iron sights?

Hot Sauce NARC 06-22-2009 12:48 AM

sasquatch: idk much about shooting the ar much more than 100 sorry, but 3 inches at 300 yards may be pushing it a little, but im sure it can be done with practice.

skull: it seems like even thought the front sight is bigger than the target its more forgiving than the red dot, idk y but i just seem to shoot better groups closer to the bulls eye with the irons. Instead of covering the round target with a round dot you only cover the bottom half with the sight post.

skullcrusher 06-22-2009 01:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hot Sauce NARC (Post 120249)
skull: it seems like even thought the front sight is bigger than the target its more forgiving than the red dot, idk y but i just seem to shoot better groups closer to the bulls eye with the irons. Instead of covering the round target with a round dot you only cover the bottom half with the sight post.

A lot of good shooting starts with confidence in your arm and sights. Seems like you shoot better with iron sights. Just knowing that goes a long way to better shooting. :D

FCross7 06-22-2009 02:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hot Sauce NARC (Post 120223)

One thing you can try is re-zeroing your eotech, but instead of zeroing with the dot on your target, zero it where the dot is right under your target. That's how I did my iron sights and it helped a lot at 100 yards. That way no matter how far out your shooting your target is never covered up. Just my .02

-Fred

-Fred

Hot Sauce NARC 06-22-2009 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FCross7 (Post 120289)
One thing you can try is re-zeroing your eotech, but instead of zeroing with the dot on your target, zero it where the dot is right under your target. That's how I did my iron sights and it helped a lot at 100 yards. That way no matter how far out your shooting your target is never covered up. Just my .02

-Fred

-Fred

Thanks Fred i may try that