end of the world build - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion >

end of the world build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2012, 01:02 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TankTop View Post
My second post today as a total noob. I haven't even bought anything yet, but I would love for some people to share their ultimate builds just to drool over.
This thread has changed flavors.
'End Of The World BUILD' can mean several things.
The most extreme accuracy.
The most extreme options mounted.
Most functional, for SHTF needs and use.

For the first selection, long/longer heavy barrels add weight, stability, greater velocity possibilities but not necessarily any better accuracy. (Longer sighing radius with iron sight not included, think scopes/optical sights.) I have one with a heavy 20 inch stainless tube, I don't relish the thoughts of carrying it about while hunting. It will still make one ragged hole with 30 rounds at a hundred yards if I do my part.

The next, I don't do SBR, suppressed and after too many years as a cop, don't like/want a target lit up on or near me, so no mounted lights for me. I do have a thing about having two sighting means available. I have a regular scope AND a red dot mounted on one weapon, but no irons.

The last listing from above. Less is more or better. Less to break, go bad, fail, need batteries. Lighter weight weapon equates to more ammo can be carried. For me, I'm too old and broken to contemplate being 'on the run', so mobility holds little weight for me.

There are many threads displaying a great realm of weapons and configurations. Extreme is just that. I prefer simple and functional.

OSOK

Old 08-28-2012, 01:20 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1059 Times on 569 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpapps

There are many threads displaying a great realm of weapons and configurations. Extreme is just that. I prefer simple and functional.
My personal opinion is that if SHTF I want something rugged, reliable and accurate to a decent distance to use if necessary while order is being restored. Reaching out to touch someone sounds like it's really all over and I need prayer and a little luck more than a good weapon!

From what I'm reading from people here is that at least a lower build is in my future. So let's start with a quality stripped lower receiver. T6 aluminum of course, past that are there major differences between manufacturers? $100 vs $250,remington vs NATO and does that even matter at this point?

Old 08-28-2012, 02:16 PM   #13

Liked 1151 Times on 747 Posts
Likes Given: 2042

If you can find one I might suggest a Aero Precision or a Surplus Arms stripped lower. They seem to be the cheapest price of any alum stripped lower , IF you can find one in stock . I would say PSA but they jumped their price to $99.95 last week .
Thats a good start , then you need to ask yourself , what length barrel , what caliber , that optics if any , what what what . so much to choose from it will make your head spin , so what I have done is every time I think man I should have went this route instead , I just start another build that was the easiest solution

Old 08-28-2012, 02:41 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1059 Times on 569 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc
If you can find one I might suggest a Aero Precision or a Surplus Arms stripped lower. They seem to be the cheapest price of any alum stripped lower , IF you can find one in stock . I would say PSA but they jumped their price to $99.95 last week .
Thats a good start , then you need to ask yourself , what length barrel , what caliber , that optics if any , what what what . so much to choose from it will make your head spin , so what I have done is every time I think man I should have went this route instead , I just start another build that was the easiest solution
What about pin size, seems these black guns aren't so universal? Is one more standard than the others?

Old 08-28-2012, 05:57 PM   #15

Liked 1151 Times on 747 Posts
Likes Given: 2042

Quote:
What about pin size, seems these black guns aren't so universal? Is one more standard than the others?
Small pin is most universal. The large pin belong to some of the colt stuff

Old 08-28-2012, 06:27 PM   #16

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3486 Times on 1612 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Just about everything in the AR-15 world today is uniform and plays well together.

When you read about pin size they are talking about the difference between the current standard of .154" instead of the time back in the 70's or so when Colt (head in ass again) tried to make their stuff proprietary with pins measuring .171"

Not much of a diffence, until you try to to fit it.

These days all the new stuff is pretty uniform. No so on the AR-10 stuff, but for the AR-15 you should be good.

Old 08-30-2012, 01:57 PM   #17

Liked 32 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Here you go, the best end of the world build.

end of the world build - AR-15 Discussion

Old 08-30-2012, 03:12 PM   #18

Liked 515 Times on 325 Posts
Likes Given: 952

I built my ar using Armalite lower, Yankee Hill machine upper (yhm) fluted barrel with quad rails, Magpul flip up sights, UTG flashlight and red/green dot scope and DPMS rear adjustable stock. This should do the job.

forumrunner_20120830_100224.jpg

Member: NRA

The constitution of the United States asserts that all power is inherent in the people, that they may exercise it by themselves, that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed! Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Last edited by PC167; 08-30-2012 at 03:27 PM.

Old 08-31-2012, 02:29 AM   #19

Liked 340 Times on 265 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Um. I think ur front sight is on backwards. But honestly it should works both ways so if its zeroed no harm leaving it the way it is.

Old 08-31-2012, 02:33 AM   #20

Liked 480 Times on 329 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentTikki
Um. I think ur front sight is on backwards. But honestly it should works both ways so if its zeroed no harm leaving it the way it is.
Def backwards.