Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   end of the world build (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/end-world-build-71253/)

TankTop 08-28-2012 01:29 AM

end of the world build

My second post today as a total noob. I haven't even bought anything yet, but I would love for some people to share their ultimate builds just to drool over.

dog2000tj 08-28-2012 01:34 AM

take a tip through the build threads in the AR section ;)

Dillinger 08-28-2012 02:21 AM

Top of this section has more information than you can probably process in one sitting to be hoenst.

Dog and I subscribe to the theory that at least building you own lower and buying an assembled upper is going to teach you a LOT along the ways and will only serve you in cleaning and maint in the long run. ;)

JD

NitroxAZ 08-28-2012 03:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dillinger (Post 918217)
Top of this section has more information than you can probably process in one sitting to be hoenst.

Dog and I subscribe to the theory that at least building you own lower and buying an assembled upper is going to teach you a LOT along the ways and will only serve you in cleaning and maint in the long run. ;)

JD

+1 But I suggest going one step further and building the entire rifle yourself. It is not hard and there are plenty of tutorials and advice here on how to do it. This forum inspired me to build my own and it was easy and well worth it. The good thing is you can buy the parts all at once or piece it together as your budget dictates.

What are you looking for your EOTW (End Of The World) rifle to do? Are you looking for something for close quarters so to speak or to reach out and touch something? What is your budget? There are alot of options depending on need.

JonM 08-28-2012 03:19 AM

Bravo Company midlength 16" BHF Upper on Bravo Company Lower, with MaTech buis, Trijicon 4x Acog green chevron on a Larue rco qd mount, blue force tac sling, magpul moe handguards, magpul acsl stock, surefire Qd FA762k suppressor attached with a Surefire Muzzle brake

http://imageshack.us/a/img692/2561/img0544ch.jpg

thats my shtf rifle

TankTop 08-28-2012 04:08 AM

I want something to be versatile, mostly range shooting, but if I hear more than one set of footsteps at 2am... In reality I want it to be a tactical weapon, hopefully never have to use it that way.

JonM 08-28-2012 04:19 AM

Nothing beats a good old 12ga pump shotgun for those 2am goblin visits...

TankTop 08-28-2012 04:40 AM

Agreed, for one intruder I'm with you. I'm still trying to get my wife to let me fire a shotgun in the living room at 2am. I want to know how long it takes to get my hearing and sight back... I think a pistol would be great too, but panicked where are my follow up shots going? I also understand a 223 may irritate the neighbors.
Recently I watched a wildfire burn a nice little part of my city and thirty thousand people displaced from their homes. Our city handled it well, but what if the next disaster is bigger and longer?

ineverFTF 08-28-2012 04:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TankTop
Agreed, for one intruder I'm with you. I'm still trying to get my wife to let me fire a shotgun in the living room at 2am. I want to know how long it takes to get my hearing and sight back... I think a pistol would be great too, but panicked where are my follow up shots going? I also understand a 223 may irritate the neighbors.
Recently I watched a wildfire burn a nice little part of my city and thirty thousand people displaced from their homes. Our city handled it well, but what if the next disaster is bigger and longer?

Oohhh i made the mistake of walking into an indoor range without my ears on first. A 12ga went off in the lane next to me. Daaaaamn. I went home and was mostly deaf for about 25mins. Shouldn't be as bad in a standard living room. As for muzzle flash, your eyes will be shocked, you will be able to "see" immediately, it will take time for your eyes to readjust to the dark.

Quentin 08-28-2012 05:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dillinger (Post 918217)
... Dog and I subscribe to the theory that at least building you own lower and buying an assembled upper is going to teach you a LOT along the ways and will only serve you in cleaning and maint in the long run. ;)

JD

I also subscribe to this doctrine. I think the hard part (and the one that most people screw up) is "designing" an upper in your mind that actually fits your requirements. From there it's fairly easy to buy a quality factory upper built to the same specs so I can't see building one yourself unless you just have to do every last thing yourself or your perfect upper isn't available.

Now building up a stripped lower, that's fairly easy and can save some money. Again though, you do want to have it figured out before buying willy nilly.

And for a nicely designed SHTF rifle, JonM's above is hard to beat!