Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Ejection issue with my 14.5 middy - need some input

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2012, 08:26 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Ejection issue with my 14.5 middy - need some input

So I've been having some ejection issues with my most recent build. It seems that the spent case is fond of the area directly above the magazine and refuses to leave, like a bad party guest. It exits the chamber just fine, but for some reason the front of the case flips up and wedges in the groove of the charging handle while the back of the case is wedged against the bolt. This jams up the works real good.

Now, I have a ton of PMC Bronze .223 and that's pretty much all I've shot through this rifle. And I know it is reported to by pretty weak stuff. I have put a few boxes of Federal/American Eagle through it without a hiccup, but not enough to really be sure it's just an ammo issue. I've also read several times the the 14.5 mid-length setup is not happy working with low power ammo, but I've read just as many reports where guys claim that their rifle eats anything under the sun. So I'm looking for some input from the guys who shoot a lot more than I do. Ammo? Bolt issue?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-22-2012, 09:14 PM   #2
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2342 Times on 1169 Posts
Likes Given: 1189

Russ,

If the Federal American Eagle was running good it is definitely the ammunition. I would do another check with the AEs. The reason some of the guys rifles will run with anything has everything to do with the see of gas port in the barrel. Some of their rifles probably run hot with duty ammunition due to the fact the gas port hole in the barrel is larger. So they may shoot the lighter ammunition also. The size of the gas port has everything to do with how well the weapon functions. But too large a gas port hole can also cause a problem on the other end. If that is the contributing factor to your situation I would suggest lubing the Bolt Carrier group and all contact surfaces well so they look a little wet and see what happens with your PMC Ammunition. Lube with a good lubricant! Not Grease! Good luck! By the way be sure it is not one specific magazine by putting a chalk mark on the mag when the malfunction occurs.

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Jpyle Likes This 
Old 07-22-2012, 09:15 PM   #3

Liked 972 Times on 683 Posts
Likes Given: 972

I've also heard the 14.5 mid-length has problems with lower powered ammo, Russ. I assume you're already using a standard carbine buffer not H?

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 07-22-2012, 09:30 PM   #4

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

To sniper: I have had the issue on all the mags I use and all have been proven in other rifles, but that could still be a contributing factor. The moving parts of this upper are all Daniel Defense, so I have moved hardware to the end of the list for culprits. Not off the list completely, because I did assemble it myself. I will pick up some more Fed/AE ammo if I can find any, and try to run enough to prove out that theory. FWIW, I was running the bolt "wet".

To Q: standard buffer and spring. When I first put this upper together, I had it on my piston lower, which has a very heavy buffer and a Tubbs flat wire spring at full length (in a carbine length buffer tube). I chalked it up to that combo at first, but I just finished a new lower specifically for this upper and had the same issue.

It seems to have no trouble locking the bolt open on the last shot, for whatever that's worth.

Old 07-22-2012, 11:38 PM   #5

Liked 972 Times on 683 Posts
Likes Given: 972

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ View Post
To sniper: I have had the issue on all the mags I use and all have been proven in other rifles, but that could still be a contributing factor. The moving parts of this upper are all Daniel Defense, so I have moved hardware to the end of the list for culprits. Not off the list completely, because I did assemble it myself. I will pick up some more Fed/AE ammo if I can find any, and try to run enough to prove out that theory. FWIW, I was running the bolt "wet".

To Q: standard buffer and spring. When I first put this upper together, I had it on my piston lower, which has a very heavy buffer and a Tubbs flat wire spring at full length (in a carbine length buffer tube). I chalked it up to that combo at first, but I just finished a new lower specifically for this upper and had the same issue.

It seems to have no trouble locking the bolt open on the last shot, for whatever that's worth.
You know DD did have some problems with extractors a while back. I replaced mine with a BCM Socom extractor/kit and have noticed more positive extraction. If the recoil is strong enough to lock back the bolt on an empty mag maybe the extractor is slipping off the rim too quick and not giving a good kick from the ejector. Maybe a quick check, try another BCG or put on an O-ring for a test?

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

russ Likes This 
Old 07-23-2012, 03:05 PM   #6

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Thanks Quentin. That seems like a good option. I do have some o-rings of the correct size and I'll give that a shot next time out.

Old 07-23-2012, 05:06 PM   #7

Liked 214 Times on 168 Posts
Likes Given: 286

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
You know DD did have some problems with extractors a while back. I replaced mine with a BCM Socom extractor/kit and have noticed more positive extraction. If the recoil is strong enough to lock back the bolt on an empty mag maybe the extractor is slipping off the rim too quick and not giving a good kick from the ejector. Maybe a quick check, try another BCG or put on an O-ring for a test?
I am not a big fan of the o-ring in most carbine cases, as people tend to use it as a patch for a defective part, but in the shorter barrels like this one, it may not be a bad idea. If nothing else works, you might consider the buffer. possibly replacing it with an h buffer, or worst case scenario a hydraulic buffer. I would try the o-ring first though.

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin

Old 07-23-2012, 06:00 PM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ
Thanks Quentin. That seems like a good option. I do have some o-rings of the correct size and I'll give that a shot next time out.
Keep us updated I was originally looking at going with a 14.5 middy but decided I didn't want to have to potentially worry with ammo and what not I would like to know if you find a fix.

Old 07-23-2012, 06:40 PM   #9
fmj

Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

i had a similar problem with my PSA. (dropping spent case back on the mag and not spitting it out...i'm all about recycling, but in this case it just jams up the works )

It was an intermittent issue, but happened no matter the ammo, or mag.

Sent it back to PSA, they discovered a faulty ejector spring. Had it back in my hot little hands in exactly 7 days from the day i shipped it to them.

She has run without a hiccup since her safe return home.

Good luck getting your baby up and running properly!

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Old 07-24-2012, 07:21 PM   #10

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

FMJ, that sounds exactly like what mine is doing. I'm hoping the ejector is the problem and not the ammo, I have 2 1/2 cases of that PMC Bronze sitting in my ammo pile.