Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Ejection issue with my 14.5 middy - need some input (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/ejection-issue-my-14-5-middy-need-some-input-68728/)

russ 07-22-2012 08:26 PM

Ejection issue with my 14.5 middy - need some input

So I've been having some ejection issues with my most recent build. It seems that the spent case is fond of the area directly above the magazine and refuses to leave, like a bad party guest. It exits the chamber just fine, but for some reason the front of the case flips up and wedges in the groove of the charging handle while the back of the case is wedged against the bolt. This jams up the works real good.

Now, I have a ton of PMC Bronze .223 and that's pretty much all I've shot through this rifle. And I know it is reported to by pretty weak stuff. I have put a few boxes of Federal/American Eagle through it without a hiccup, but not enough to really be sure it's just an ammo issue. I've also read several times the the 14.5 mid-length setup is not happy working with low power ammo, but I've read just as many reports where guys claim that their rifle eats anything under the sun. So I'm looking for some input from the guys who shoot a lot more than I do. Ammo? Bolt issue?

Sniper03 07-22-2012 09:14 PM

Russ,

If the Federal American Eagle was running good it is definitely the ammunition. I would do another check with the AEs. The reason some of the guys rifles will run with anything has everything to do with the see of gas port in the barrel. Some of their rifles probably run hot with duty ammunition due to the fact the gas port hole in the barrel is larger. So they may shoot the lighter ammunition also. The size of the gas port has everything to do with how well the weapon functions. But too large a gas port hole can also cause a problem on the other end. If that is the contributing factor to your situation I would suggest lubing the Bolt Carrier group and all contact surfaces well so they look a little wet and see what happens with your PMC Ammunition. Lube with a good lubricant! Not Grease! Good luck! By the way be sure it is not one specific magazine by putting a chalk mark on the mag when the malfunction occurs.

Quentin 07-22-2012 09:15 PM

I've also heard the 14.5 mid-length has problems with lower powered ammo, Russ. I assume you're already using a standard carbine buffer not H?

russ 07-22-2012 09:30 PM

To sniper: I have had the issue on all the mags I use and all have been proven in other rifles, but that could still be a contributing factor. The moving parts of this upper are all Daniel Defense, so I have moved hardware to the end of the list for culprits. Not off the list completely, because I did assemble it myself.;) I will pick up some more Fed/AE ammo if I can find any, and try to run enough to prove out that theory. FWIW, I was running the bolt "wet".

To Q: standard buffer and spring. When I first put this upper together, I had it on my piston lower, which has a very heavy buffer and a Tubbs flat wire spring at full length (in a carbine length buffer tube). I chalked it up to that combo at first, but I just finished a new lower specifically for this upper and had the same issue.

It seems to have no trouble locking the bolt open on the last shot, for whatever that's worth.

Quentin 07-22-2012 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by russ (Post 878428)
To sniper: I have had the issue on all the mags I use and all have been proven in other rifles, but that could still be a contributing factor. The moving parts of this upper are all Daniel Defense, so I have moved hardware to the end of the list for culprits. Not off the list completely, because I did assemble it myself.;) I will pick up some more Fed/AE ammo if I can find any, and try to run enough to prove out that theory. FWIW, I was running the bolt "wet".

To Q: standard buffer and spring. When I first put this upper together, I had it on my piston lower, which has a very heavy buffer and a Tubbs flat wire spring at full length (in a carbine length buffer tube). I chalked it up to that combo at first, but I just finished a new lower specifically for this upper and had the same issue.

It seems to have no trouble locking the bolt open on the last shot, for whatever that's worth.

You know DD did have some problems with extractors a while back. I replaced mine with a BCM Socom extractor/kit and have noticed more positive extraction. If the recoil is strong enough to lock back the bolt on an empty mag maybe the extractor is slipping off the rim too quick and not giving a good kick from the ejector. Maybe a quick check, try another BCG or put on an O-ring for a test?

russ 07-23-2012 03:05 PM

Thanks Quentin. That seems like a good option. I do have some o-rings of the correct size and I'll give that a shot next time out.

fsted2a 07-23-2012 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quentin (Post 878577)
You know DD did have some problems with extractors a while back. I replaced mine with a BCM Socom extractor/kit and have noticed more positive extraction. If the recoil is strong enough to lock back the bolt on an empty mag maybe the extractor is slipping off the rim too quick and not giving a good kick from the ejector. Maybe a quick check, try another BCG or put on an O-ring for a test?

I am not a big fan of the o-ring in most carbine cases, as people tend to use it as a patch for a defective part, but in the shorter barrels like this one, it may not be a bad idea. If nothing else works, you might consider the buffer. possibly replacing it with an h buffer, or worst case scenario a hydraulic buffer. I would try the o-ring first though.

powell0892 07-23-2012 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by russ
Thanks Quentin. That seems like a good option. I do have some o-rings of the correct size and I'll give that a shot next time out.

Keep us updated I was originally looking at going with a 14.5 middy but decided I didn't want to have to potentially worry with ammo and what not I would like to know if you find a fix.

fmj 07-23-2012 06:40 PM

i had a similar problem with my PSA. (dropping spent case back on the mag and not spitting it out...i'm all about recycling, but in this case it just jams up the works ;))

It was an intermittent issue, but happened no matter the ammo, or mag.

Sent it back to PSA, they discovered a faulty ejector spring. Had it back in my hot little hands in exactly 7 days from the day i shipped it to them.

She has run without a hiccup since her safe return home.

Good luck getting your baby up and running properly!

russ 07-24-2012 07:21 PM

FMJ, that sounds exactly like what mine is doing. I'm hoping the ejector is the problem and not the ammo, I have 2 1/2 cases of that PMC Bronze sitting in my ammo pile.