Eagle Arms carbine - shooter or collector?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Eagle Arms carbine - shooter or collector?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2010, 09:51 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Eagle Arms carbine - shooter or collector?

I have an AR made by Eagle Arms in Cole Valley, IL. I bought it in the late 90's for $1300, test fired it once, cleaned it and put it in the safe. It appears to be very well built and has an old-school CAR look to it.

A friend believes that it is worth at least what I paid for it, due to it being made by the original Eagle Arms, started by the same Mr Lewis of LMT. I think he's optimistic, but I'd like to get some input from others.

Does anyone know anything about this rifle? I have other ARs, but this is my only carbine. If its a shooter, then I'll shoot it. If it is worth close what I paid for, then I would probably upgrade to a newer (flat-top) platform.

Thanks,
ss

eagle1.jpg  

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-05-2010, 10:27 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I haven't a clue about value, but that's a handsome carbine.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 10-05-2010, 11:11 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

It certainly is a sharp looking rifle, but with the going rate on carbines now a days, I doubt that it is worth near what you paid for it. In my honest opinion, you should take it as you have a new rifle that has been hardly broken in, and take her out and get to shooting. You can add optics on top of the carry handle if that is the only reason that you would like to upgrade to a flat top.

Old 10-07-2010, 07:05 PM   #4

Liked 1020 Times on 717 Posts
Likes Given: 1016

Those old Eagle Arms ARs have a good reputation but I agree it's not likely to be a collector's item so you might as well shoot it. Very accurate I understand and at that time they were a premiere company. Today they're ArmaLite's economy line, though still very good.

Amazing how ARs have actually come down in price over the last decade especially considering inflation. I guess the Clinton ban back then increased the price and demand though. Don't know what it would be worth today... as there are even better ARs for that money.

Old 10-07-2010, 07:12 PM   #5

Just a thought - did you buy it new in the late '90s or could it actually be pre-ban? That would increase its value in ban states like CA, NY, etc. And could explain the price in the late '90s.

The reason I ask, it seems to have a bayonet lug, flash hider and pistol grip which would be a lot of 'evil' features after 9/1994 and until 10/2004.

Last edited by Quentin; 10-07-2010 at 07:14 PM.

Old 10-07-2010, 08:59 PM   #6

Yes, it was purchased as a "pre-ban" rifle. I had no idea that pre-ban meant anything to anybody anymore.

In my search to find more about the rifle, I've been told the following:

Rifles were built by Eagle, then Armalite bought out Eagle. I few rifles got lost in inventory until they were later discovered and they realized they had valuable "pre-ban" items.

Same person said that rifles were used in the movie the Postman. I personally find the movie part hard to believe, but when I saw the movie again I did notice that the CAR style rifle had the same distinctive flash hider. The Eagle's flash hider flares down to meet the barrel at a 45 degree angle were all other CARs (Bushmasters & Colts) do not, they are a 90 degree step.

The person who sent the email could not provide any reference material, so take it with a grain a salt.

Old 10-08-2010, 04:38 AM   #7

Since you're in Oregon it would be interesting to see what pre-ban ARs are going for in neighboring CA. You might be very pleased with what you could get for it and it would allow some fortunate soul there or in other ban states to own a rifle like the rest of us can buy now.

And you could get a much nicer rifle for only $800-1000, maybe even the EA's big sister, ArmaLite! Anyway, you now know the gun is more valuable than we originally suspected.

Old 10-08-2010, 04:53 AM   #8

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Honestly I think it's sexy and since it does have some uniqueness to it, I'd just keep it and shoot it. But I probably wouldn't shoot the crap out of it. But that's just me.

Old 10-08-2010, 04:17 PM   #9

Ok, I found out some really interesting info....

In the late 90's, when Armalite discovered what they had, they sold them via "hidden" website only known about through word-of-mouth.

Sounds far-fetched to say the least, right?

Well I went to Internet Archive: Digital Library of Free Books, Movies, Music & Wayback Machine, entered in armalite.com, and clicked on a archive from 1998 I noticed a missing page (the URLs when 1,2,3, etc with 8 missing).

I manually entered in 8 and got...

http://web.archive.org/web/19980113193555/www.armalite.com/page8.htm

Freaking cool, right?!?

Old 11-25-2010, 10:34 PM   #10
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2570 Times on 1256 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Scott,

The price you can get for it depends. Since the original Eagle Arms is not in business. As stated Armalite markets it's stripped lowers under the Eagle name. Of course if you would advertise and find a collector that needed a true Eagle for his collection then you may be in the bucks. Pre Ban does add some to it but it is certainly not a pre-ban Colt SP-1 or the like. As far as selling it just our on the market I would guess $850-$1000 would be tops since it is new and in the condition it is. If you want to sell it look into the collectors area we spoke about previously. My past boss worked for the true Eagle facility and also has a couple of them put back.
Otherwise shoot and enjoy it. They are a nice quality rifle.