Dust cover removal- help!!
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Dust cover removal- help!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2012, 02:19 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 77 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default Dust cover removal- help!!

Hey guys I bought a new dust cover with American flag and made in USA wording and wanted to put it on my Noveske but as I'm looking at it I can't see any way to get the dust cover pin out without removing either the forward assist or NSR handrail. Is removing the forward assist even possible? It looks like just two pins need to be punched out (1 vert & 1 horizontal) but not sure never done it before. If anyone knows how to remove the forward assist could you please help me? Here are some pics of the area. Oh and it's a VLTOR MUR upper receiver if that matters. Thanks

image-1007201292.jpg   image-396226588.jpg   image-214731745.jpg  

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-04-2012, 05:47 AM   #2

Took a shot in the dark and got it installed without messin it up...Whew!!

image-329056580.jpg  

Old 12-04-2012, 12:06 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 50 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaiePoi View Post
Took a shot in the dark and got it installed without messin it up...Whew!!
Looks cool!

So how did you do it? I know you have to punch out one of the pins in the forward assist, but which one?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Old 12-04-2012, 03:54 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeusEcho

Looks cool!

So how did you do it? I know you have to punch out one of the pins in the forward assist, but which one?
There are two pins that hold it together...one that goes in horizontally thru the FA and thru the receiver and the other one that goes in vertically just thru the FA to keep the push nob/spring in place. I first took out the horizontal pin thinking it would come off but I had to actually take off the second pin as well and it comes right off. It was pretty easy to get the new dust cover on with the FA off. The hardest part was getting the vertical pin back in because you gotta hold the little push nob down while you tap the pin back in to hold it in place and that pin can take a beating its pretty hard to get back in there...my punch started to bend. But I got it in with 2 minor scratches..blehh! It took me a while to get it done because I dropped the dang tiny C-ring when putting the dust cover back on. I was looking on the floor for it for like half an hr before I found it on the table right in front of me haha. Yes it is that small! Happy it's done though I like the dust cover engraving a lot it's a nice touch

Old 12-04-2012, 11:01 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Yeah man looks nice! I tried doing one on my VLTOR upper and barely moved the horizontal pin but started bending the punch. I gave up cause I was too scared to scratch it.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Old 12-05-2012, 04:03 AM   #6

Quote:
Yeah man looks nice! I tried doing one on my VLTOR upper and barely moved the horizontal pin but started bending the punch. I gave up cause I was too scared to scratch it.
Nah man you should do it! I was scared too but didn't want to waste the dust cover plus it looks way better than plain black. I was more scared that I would not be able to get everything back together because I wasn't sure if it required some special tools but luckily it didn't. It's actually pretty easy. I prob wouldn't have scratched it at all if I had it in a vice. I don't have a vice block for the upper yet (only lower) so I just held it in my lap while holding the punch with one hand and hammering it in with the other. You could just electrical tape it up around the holes and be safe but like I said its two minor scratches not really noticeable unless you already know its there.

Old 12-05-2012, 04:18 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

That's a nice lookin upper you got there, would love to see a pic of the whole rifle.

I already put it on my BCM instead and looks kick-ass so all is well

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Last edited by ZeusEcho; 12-05-2012 at 04:21 PM.

Old 12-06-2012, 12:51 AM   #8

Quote:
That's a nice lookin upper you got there, would love to see a pic of the whole rifle.

I already put it on my BCM instead and looks kick-ass so all is well
Very nice! Cool dual color handguard. I was gonna do a bcm as my first build but it's so hard to get the BCG ill have to do that one next. I'm still waiting on my Spike's buffer tube assembly kit to finish my build so its not actually all put together yet but here I just laid the stock next to the receivers and this is basically what it will look like and here's what parts I used

-Noveske Afghan 14.5 barrel
-Battle comp 1.5
-Noveske NSR 13.5 modular handguard
-VLTOR MUR upper
-Spike's Lower with their enhanced LPK
-Magpul STR
-Troy folding BUIS (M4 style)
-Aimpoint H1 with high mount (1/3 cowitness)
image-3575197912.jpg  

Old 12-06-2012, 12:56 AM   #9

Sorry I know it's a really bad picture and lighting but ill try get a better on for you when I get the buffer tube kit installed

Old 12-06-2012, 01:20 AM   #10

Liked 638 Times on 385 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Laie:
How do you like that Spikes lower? I was considering buying one, but their website says a 8-12 month back order. Where did you buy and how much?