Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > DPMS sweet sixteen

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2012, 12:18 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
Send a PM to Quentin. If anyone on this board can tell you how to do it, he's the man.
I tried but no cigar..seems he has met his quota lol.

Old 12-27-2012, 12:20 AM   #12

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I guess I'll ask my general questions here and see what happens... So here goes nothing :-)
I just got a dpms sweet sixteen and am thinking about putting on a 6 position stock possibly. I'm just not sure what I would need to do so. As in buffer(length) , buffer spring, etc...What's better commercial or mil spec, and should I go with a hydraulic or spring? I've yet to even fire it or break it in for that matter however, which I'm patiently awaiting to do and it's killing me to wait!
Thanks in advance for any advice/words of wisdom you may have.

Old 12-27-2012, 04:43 AM   #13

Liked 949 Times on 671 Posts
Likes Given: 942

Well definitely fire it in it's factory configuration first! After you're sure it functions properly, sure go ahead and swap to an adjustable stock. I'd get a milspec diameter kit with the standard carbine spring and probably upgrade to the H buffer instead of standard weight carbine buffer - if you have midlength gas on a 16" barrel. If carbine length gas on 16" then often the H2 buffer smooths out the recoil and function. I will admit most ARs out there just have the standard weight carbine buffer and do just fine but most could be tuned a little better. So you can go with standard weight and keep it in the back of your mind that there are options.

Your googling is correct, the commercial receiver extensions have a larger external diameter but I'd go with the milspec which should be made from a stronger alloy, 7075 T6 like the receivers. PSA has very good prices on milspec kits and the two I have are of very good quality. The two BCM kits I have are even better but cost about twice as much. You can buy the kits with or without stocks and many of us skip the M4 stock and buy something else. Of course buy the right diameter for your kit, milspec or commercial. I always recommend milspec if someone has a choice but commercial isn't the end of the world, especially with all the shortages out there now. I'd forget the hydraulic buffer/spring, too.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Last edited by Quentin; 12-27-2012 at 04:46 AM.
locutus Likes This 
Old 12-27-2012, 11:46 PM   #14

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
Well definitely fire it in it's factory configuration first! After you're sure it functions properly, sure go ahead and swap to an adjustable stock. I'd get a milspec diameter kit with the standard carbine spring and probably upgrade to the H buffer instead of standard weight carbine buffer - if you have midlength gas on a 16" barrel. If carbine length gas on 16" then often the H2 buffer smooths out the recoil and function. I will admit most ARs out there just have the standard weight carbine buffer and do just fine but most could be tuned a little better. So you can go with standard weight and keep it in the back of your mind that there are options.

Your googling is correct, the commercial receiver extensions have a larger external diameter but I'd go with the milspec which should be made from a stronger alloy, 7075 T6 like the receivers. PSA has very good prices on milspec kits and the two I have are of very good quality. The two BCM kits I have are even better but cost about twice as much. You can buy the kits with or without stocks and many of us skip the M4 stock and buy something else. Of course buy the right diameter for your kit, milspec or commercial. I always recommend milspec if someone has a choice but commercial isn't the end of the world, especially with all the shortages out there now. I'd forget the hydraulic buffer/spring, too.
How would I know what length gas is on it?

Old 12-28-2012, 04:35 AM   #15

Liked 949 Times on 671 Posts
Likes Given: 942

Look at your specs, they should tell you. Looks like carbine gas, do you have 7" rails?

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 01-05-2013, 12:53 AM   #16

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
Look at your specs, they should tell you. Looks like carbine gas, do you have 7" rails?
Pretty sure it's a carbine. Just put a 4 sided gas block and a scope on it last night. Heading to break it in & sight it tomorrow morning! Can't wait. :-)

Old 01-06-2013, 03:23 PM   #17

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Finally got to run about 60 rounds through it yesterday. The last 3 while breaking in I confirmed the scope being dialed in with a 3 shot group that had @ .38" group. 2 touched each other and one was .38" difference. I don't think that's bad for a 100 yards.