DPMS sportical question.. - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > DPMS sportical question..

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2012, 10:28 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1018 Times on 715 Posts
Likes Given: 1016

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentTikki View Post
It would have been better to use 6066-t6 for the lower reciever. A stiffer upper is probably a bit more important than the lower. But for all intents and purposes it probably wouldn't make much of a difference on a 16" ar anyways.

I love to get my hands on a test out one of these 1x8 twist melonited barrels. It really is a wonder why more manufacturers aren't making them this way.
I agree. You really need a stiff upper receiver when talking A3/A4, a lot of strength was lost when the integrated carry handle was replaced with a flat top.

I hear lots of good things about accuracy in the 1:8" melonite barrel. It seem S&W hit it out of the park with the Sport, especially for the price.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 06-08-2012, 10:28 PM   #22

Liked 2913 Times on 1734 Posts
Likes Given: 1951

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryguy00 View Post
smith uses melonite, glock uses tenifer, xd uses whatever they call theirs. it's all personal preference but it is the finish on the OUTSIDE of the gun. Accuracy is not affected. Chrome lined barrels are easier to clean. That is all. If they enhanced accuracy, benchrest rifles would have them...
you might be wrong here. i have read many sources saying the melonite treatment is inside and out on the barrel.

not saying i'm 100% right, but i have read that many places.

Old 06-08-2012, 10:38 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
I agree. You really need a stiff upper receiver when talking A3/A4, a lot of strength was lost when the integrated carry handle was replaced with a flat top.

I hear lots of good things about accuracy in the 1:8" melonite barrel. It seem S&W hit it out of the park with the Sport, especially for the price.
i recently purchased the S&W sport. i am very happy with it (especially the price), although i have very little use so far. i was the cheap skate that just couldn't pay $1000+ for a gun, so i was happy to see the S&W (a well known firearm company) at such a reasonable price point.

i have always enjoyed reviewing guns and testing accuracy, although i have always admitted i am far from an expert in my trials. i'll be happy to post my results on accuracy once i get more comfortable with the gun.

this weekend, a couple of ex-marines (one a marksmanship instructor in the service), are gonna give me some tips at the range. i'll be interested to see their opinions on the S&W sport.

Old 06-08-2012, 10:43 PM   #24

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryguy00 View Post
smith uses melonite, glock uses tenifer, xd uses whatever they call theirs. it's all personal preference but it is the finish on the OUTSIDE of the gun. Accuracy is not affected. Chrome lined barrels are easier to clean. That is all. If they enhanced accuracy, benchrest rifles would have them...
Unfortunately, you are incorrect on this account. S&W barrels are full melonited including the bore, chamber, and extention. If I recall correctly Tennifer is applied to the bore to Glocks as well.

The reason why it doesn't affect accuracy, is that it actually treats the metal itself, much like anodizing does. Ferretic Nitro Carburization (FNC, Melonite, Tennifer, et al) a bore will not affect accuracy. If it was a great shooter before fnc treatment, it will be great after treatment. If it is a crappy shooter, it will remain that way after FNC treatment.

Its not like chrome wich is added to the surface like paint. Since it is impossible to paint the surface with chrome evenly, chromed bores are a little less consistant than they were before they were chromed.

Old 06-08-2012, 10:46 PM   #25

Quote:
Unfortunately, you are incorrect on this account. S&W barrels are full melonited including the bore, chamber, and extention. If I recall correctly Tennifer is applied to the bore to Glocks as well.

The reason why it doesn't affect accuracy, is that it actually treats the metal itself, much like anodizing does. Ferretic Nitro Carburization (FNC, Melonite, Tennifer, et al) a bore will not affect accuracy. If it was a great shooter before fnc treatment, it will be great after treatment. If it is a crappy shooter, it will remain that way after FNC treatment.

Its not like chrome wich is added to the surface like paint. Since it is impossible to paint the surface with chrome evenly, chromed bores are a little less consistant than they were before they were chromed.
hey! this may be a much better reply than mine, but i said it first!

also, isn't the 5r rifling supposed to be a big factor with accuracy as well?

Old 06-08-2012, 10:47 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkguy View Post
i recently purchased the S&W sport. i am very happy with it (especially the price), although i have very little use so far. i was the cheap skate that just couldn't pay $1000+ for a gun, so i was happy to see the S&W (a well known firearm company) at such a reasonable price point.

i have always enjoyed reviewing guns and testing accuracy, although i have always admitted i am far from an expert in my trials. i'll be happy to post my results on accuracy once i get more comfortable with the gun.

this weekend, a couple of ex-marines (one a marksmanship instructor in the service), are gonna give me some tips at the range. i'll be interested to see their opinions on the S&W sport.
Once you get comfortable behind the trigger, splurge a little on a few boxes of match grade ammo. I'll bet ya you can probably shoot under a 1 inch group at 100 yards with the right setup. (magnified optic, bags, bench and non itchy trigger finger.

Old 06-08-2012, 10:56 PM   #27

Quote:
Once you get comfortable behind the trigger, splurge a little on a few boxes of match grade ammo. I'll bet ya you can probably shoot under a 1 inch group at 100 yards with the right setup. (magnified optic, bags, bench and non itchy trigger finger.
sure will! i learned my lesson in getting my ol' mini 14 to shoot, that quality ammo is a must for good groups.

i also know a nice guy who is the RO and smith at a range. he has cut me a deal on a trigger job for $50. i felt one of his triggers and it was the best trigger i have ever messed with. seems like $50 well spent? although, i think i should get some time on the trigger before i decide on that.

an optic is where i am the most torn at the moment. don't know what direction i want to go. that, and i'm trying desperately to save money for once....

Last edited by hawkguy; 06-08-2012 at 10:59 PM.

Old 06-08-2012, 11:07 PM   #28

um, you can get a ALG QMS trigger for $45. No need for a trigger job, just a simple swap. Now if you want a non combat lighter pull you can just add some JP springs for like $10. There's a vendor here Xmark that is giving boardmembers a good deal on ALG triggers.

Old 06-08-2012, 11:08 PM   #29

after getting the ALG trigger, you can use your original as a back up, or try and do a trigger job yourself. Its fun to tinker.

Old 06-09-2012, 02:41 AM   #30

Liked 40 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 25

I would go w/ the S&W. As Quentin said DPMS cut corners on their sport model.