DPMS sportical question.. - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > DPMS sportical question..

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2012, 08:11 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 293 Times on 221 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentTikki
the sport is cheaper, the upper doesn't have an ejction port cover or a forward assist.

Some people say that aren't needed, but I like to have them......the cover maybe not so much, but I like having a foward assist, because I like to chamber check without wasting a round.
I had to use the fwd assist on my m&p. Got some lacquer coated steel stuck. Could not pull the charging handle back for the life of me. And I'm no little guy. I'm 6,2" 220lbs. One good hit to the fwd assist jard it loose. Turns out after measuring and comparing with a micrometer the lacquer was to thick. Making the diminution of the casing to big.

Old 06-08-2012, 08:13 PM   #12

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts

I don't think the S&W has a chrome lined barrel while the DPMS does

Old 06-08-2012, 08:16 PM   #13

Liked 1126 Times on 731 Posts
Likes Given: 2014

I believe the S&Ws have a melonite coating which is supposed to have a slight accuracy advantage . When I say slight I mean most of us would never be able to tell unless you were shooting from a bench setup

Old 06-08-2012, 08:19 PM   #14

Liked 293 Times on 221 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc
I believe the S&Ws have a melonite coating which is supposed to have a slight accuracy advantage . When I say slight I mean most of us would never be able to tell unless you were shooting from a bench setup

I dont know my wife who couldn't hit a car door with my .22 put a hell of a group at 100 yards with my m&p.

Old 06-08-2012, 08:25 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

A buddy has a DPMS sportical; it has been accurate and reliable enough for his plinking needs. He did have a post-purchase wish that he had spent a little more and gotten a more fully dressed model.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 06-08-2012, 10:05 PM   #16

Liked 980 Times on 689 Posts
Likes Given: 984

Looking at the differences, the S&W Sport has 7075-T6 upper and lower receivers, the DPMS Sportical only the lower is 7075-T6, they cut corners on the alloy in the upper. The S&W has a melonited 1:8" barrel, DPMS non-chrome lined 1:9. Also the DPMS doesn't come with front or rear sights, the S&W comes with both. To me there's no comparison, S&W for the win.

Here's what Bud's Gun shop says about the DPMS:

"Panther 5.56 NATO Sportical has a 4140 chrome-moly steel barrel with 6 grooves, right hand 1X9 twist, button rifled Lite Contour with A2 flash hider (birdcage) 16" barrel, gas operated rotating bolt, and a 8620 steel bolt carrier. The upper receiver features flattop Lo-Pro Extruded. The Upper Receiver made of 6066-T6 aircraft aluminum. The Lower Receiver is made of 7075 T6 aircraft aluminum and feature semi-auto trigger group, aluminum trigger guard, and a aluminum magazine release button. The stock is DPMS Pardus Carbine Stock. The handguards are GlacierGuards oval carbine length with aluminum Delta Ring."

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 06-08-2012, 10:13 PM   #17

Liked 980 Times on 689 Posts
Likes Given: 984

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbwar15 View Post
Um probably a stupid question. But tikki you and Quentin seem to be able to build ar's in your sleep. So I figure I should ask yall. Is a m&p and m&p sport the same thing.
Well as AT said, the M&P-15 Sport doesn't have an ejection port cover or a forward assist. Also it has an integrated trigger guard and melonited 1:8" barrel while I think the regular M&P-15s use a standard trigger guard and 1:9" chrome lined barrel. At least last year's versions did.

Also I haven't built an AR in my sleep yet but I have lost sleep over builds!

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 06-08-2012, 10:15 PM   #18

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

It would have been better to use 6066-t6 for the lower reciever. A stiffer upper is probably a bit more important than the lower. But for all intents and purposes it probably wouldn't make much of a difference on a 16" ar anyways.

I love to get my hands on a test out one of these 1x8 twist melonited barrels. It really is a wonder why more manufacturers aren't making them this way.

Old 06-08-2012, 10:19 PM   #19

Liked 32 Times on 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc View Post
smith uses melonite, glock uses tenifer, xd uses whatever they call theirs. it's all personal preference but it is the finish on the OUTSIDE of the gun. Accuracy is not affected. Chrome lined barrels are easier to clean. That is all. If they enhanced accuracy, benchrest rifles would have them...

Old 06-08-2012, 10:23 PM   #20

Liked 2723 Times on 1595 Posts
Likes Given: 1733

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc View Post
i'm no expert here, i'm an AR super newbie.

but, i think what they claim offers the accuracy advantage in the S&W sport is the 5r rifling more so then the melonite.