DPMS sportical question..
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > DPMS sportical question..

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2012, 03:49 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default DPMS sportical question..

Im new to the AR world but not new to rifles.. Mostly only shot AK,sks,mausers and handguns so need a little info...

Ok I found a new DPMS Sportical for $640+tax in a local shop and of course the Guy says yea its great and what have you(but I don't listen to sell people lol).. I want real people to tell me if this is a good starting AR.. keep in mind I don't want to spend the $800+ on one at the moment but in the future I would like to upgrade so brings me to another question: would I be able to swap the upper on this rifle with a better one in the future after I get a good idea of how the rifle performs?? I mainly want to know if you can swap parts like upper and lowers on these sportical rifles like most of the other AR 15 rifles out there.. Please help and thanks for your info.. Oh and if you own one of these please inform me on how they shoot and what upgrades are necessary..thanks..

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-08-2012, 04:01 PM   #2

Liked 1069 Times on 752 Posts
Likes Given: 1073

You should be able to swap uppers on that. But first look at the S&W Sport in that price range.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

purehavoc Likes This 
Old 06-08-2012, 04:41 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin
You should be able to swap uppers on that. But first look at the S&W Sport in that price range.
Ok thanks for your input and the same gun shop where I found the dpms they had the s&w m&p I think is what its called and its about $80 more but the Guy did say that both of the guns internals are pretty much the same.. is that true??

Old 06-08-2012, 04:46 PM   #4

What did he mean by the same? They may be interchangeable but I'd expect better quality in the SW. Compare them and see for yourself. I am not a fan of the Sportical.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 06-08-2012, 05:39 PM   #5

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts

I have both the S&W and the DPMS in those models. As far as dependability I Have no ftf or fte from either rifle honestly to me the DPMS feels better to me the balance of it is quite nice. You can't go wrong with either one as far as replacing uppers I can't sAy.

image-2794780973.jpg

The top is my DPMS the bottom is my S&W

Old 06-08-2012, 08:13 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenderribbs View Post
I have both the S&W and the DPMS in those models. As far as dependability I Have no ftf or fte from either rifle honestly to me the DPMS feels better to me the balance of it is quite nice. You can't go wrong with either one as far as replacing uppers I can't sAy.

Attachment 48214

The top is my DPMS the bottom is my S&W
Let me get this right, you have two ARs and haven't swapped uppers? Not even a little bit curious? Time's awastin'!

I have three ARs and each upper performs well on each lower. Not much talk about such things but something I bet we all do.

______

Old 06-08-2012, 08:29 PM   #7

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Ya....your babies swing both ways.......

You ever watch a little girl play with her dolls? swapping out outfits n accessorizing?

Old 06-08-2012, 08:58 PM   #8

Liked 293 Times on 221 Posts

Um probably a stupid question. But tikki you and Quentin seem to be able to build ar's in your sleep. So I figure I should ask yall. Is a m&p and m&p sport the same thing.

Old 06-08-2012, 09:00 PM   #9

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts

Well I have 4 Ar 's and nope I haven't swapped the uppers around . I have swaped the furniture all around yea kinda like dressing a GI Joe.! yea GIjoe had uniforms you could trade out too ! lol

Old 06-08-2012, 09:03 PM   #10

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

the sport is cheaper, the upper doesn't have an ejction port cover or a forward assist.

Some people say that aren't needed, but I like to have them......the cover maybe not so much, but I like having a foward assist, because I like to chamber check without wasting a round.