Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   DPMS sportical question.. (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/dpms-sportical-question-66044/)

The_Mapex_Killer 06-08-2012 02:49 PM

DPMS sportical question..

Im new to the AR world but not new to rifles.. Mostly only shot AK,sks,mausers and handguns so need a little info...

Ok I found a new DPMS Sportical for $640+tax in a local shop and of course the Guy says yea its great and what have you(but I don't listen to sell people lol).. I want real people to tell me if this is a good starting AR.. keep in mind I don't want to spend the $800+ on one at the moment but in the future I would like to upgrade so brings me to another question: would I be able to swap the upper on this rifle with a better one in the future after I get a good idea of how the rifle performs?? I mainly want to know if you can swap parts like upper and lowers on these sportical rifles like most of the other AR 15 rifles out there.. Please help and thanks for your info.. Oh and if you own one of these please inform me on how they shoot and what upgrades are necessary..thanks..

Quentin 06-08-2012 03:01 PM

You should be able to swap uppers on that. But first look at the S&W Sport in that price range.

The_Mapex_Killer 06-08-2012 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quentin
You should be able to swap uppers on that. But first look at the S&W Sport in that price range.

Ok thanks for your input and the same gun shop where I found the dpms they had the s&w m&p I think is what its called and its about $80 more but the Guy did say that both of the guns internals are pretty much the same.. is that true??

Quentin 06-08-2012 03:46 PM

What did he mean by the same? They may be interchangeable but I'd expect better quality in the SW. Compare them and see for yourself. I am not a fan of the Sportical.

Tenderribbs 06-08-2012 04:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have both the S&W and the DPMS in those models. As far as dependability I Have no ftf or fte from either rifle honestly to me the DPMS feels better to me the balance of it is quite nice. You can't go wrong with either one as far as replacing uppers I can't sAy.

Attachment 48214

The top is my DPMS the bottom is my S&W

Quentin 06-08-2012 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tenderribbs (Post 829334)
I have both the S&W and the DPMS in those models. As far as dependability I Have no ftf or fte from either rifle honestly to me the DPMS feels better to me the balance of it is quite nice. You can't go wrong with either one as far as replacing uppers I can't sAy.

Attachment 48214

The top is my DPMS the bottom is my S&W

Let me get this right, you have two ARs and haven't swapped uppers? Not even a little bit curious? Time's awastin'! :p

I have three ARs and each upper performs well on each lower. Not much talk about such things but something I bet we all do.

AgentTikki 06-08-2012 07:29 PM

Ya....your babies swing both ways.......

You ever watch a little girl play with her dolls? swapping out outfits n accessorizing?:rolleyes:

lbwar15 06-08-2012 07:58 PM

Um probably a stupid question. But tikki you and Quentin seem to be able to build ar's in your sleep. So I figure I should ask yall. Is a m&p and m&p sport the same thing.

Tenderribbs 06-08-2012 08:00 PM

Well I have 4 Ar 's and nope I haven't swapped the uppers around . I have swaped the furniture all around yea kinda like dressing a GI Joe.! yea GIjoe had uniforms you could trade out too ! lol

AgentTikki 06-08-2012 08:03 PM

the sport is cheaper, the upper doesn't have an ejction port cover or a forward assist.

Some people say that aren't needed, but I like to have them......the cover maybe not so much, but I like having a foward assist, because I like to chamber check without wasting a round.