DPMS/Remington R-25 - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion >

DPMS/Remington R-25

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2009, 07:28 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Originally Posted by GonzoLonzo View Post
I just bought the R25 also and was wondering what would be a good scope for the .308, I am new to rifles. I have always been into archery and handguns.
Also, Jesse17 did the mags from DPMS work on this rifle? I have been having trouble finding mags for this.
The mags work perfect. The gun after all is made by DPMS. They said when I ordered the mags that they were back ordered 210 days, but it only took about 120 days to get them.
Originally Posted by mmszbi View Post
"Be polite to everyone you meet but have a plan to kill them".
Sole owner of Random Thought # 5,000
Old 08-04-2009, 02:29 PM   #12
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Both the R-15 and the R-25 are made by DPMS, not Bushmaster. The parent company (Cerberus) owns other firearms manufacturers also. The mags can be ordered by DPMS, but you can get them cheaper from Sportsman's Guide and even Brownells. They are the same mags that the Knight SR-25 uses as well. If you put a scope on, be sure to get "high" scope rings or you won't be able to cock the rifle since the ocular will be too close to the cocking handle. DPMS sells a carry handle w/A-2 sights which is specifically made for the .308. this can be used to mount a scope with the see-thru handle-mount scope adapter commonly sold for AR's. UTG makes a cheap front/rear sight combo for about $50 that is quality-made and works well. A good scope is a plus for that rifle since you will no doubt find out quickly that shooting it at under 100 yds is a waste of ammo since you are not utilizing the excellent ballistics capabilities of the .308. WalMart sells the Nikon Pro Staff 2-7x for $149 and the cheaper Leupold Rifleman scopes for $199. Personally I have a 6-24x scope on my LR308 and it negates the use of a spotting scope.
Guns Have Only Two Enemies-Rust and Politicians
"The United States Constitution (c) 1791 - All Rights Reserved"
If Guns Kill, Do Pencils Mis-spell Words?
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Last edited by RL357Mag; 08-05-2009 at 02:00 AM.
Old 04-25-2011, 06:30 PM   #13
Default Scope

I would recomend something in the range of a 1.5 to 6 variable power scope for your R-25 or any close range to mid range rifle. I have this type of scope on many rifles ranging from my Remington Blackpowder rifle to my .375 H&H magnum bolt action rifle, with several other calibers in between. At 1.5 power the scope is quicker than open sights for a charging cape buffalo at 15 yards and I have made one shot kills at 285 yards with the blackpowder rifle and out to 600 yards with modern center fire rifles with the scope set at 6 power.

The key is to always carry the rifle with the scope set at 1.5 power so you can react quickly to a close target, as you normally have time to turn the power up on targets that are further away. (This principal is true for all variable power scopes; Always carry your rifle with the scope set at the lowest power so you can react to a threat or opportunity at close range.)
Old 04-25-2011, 06:44 PM   #14
Default Remington and DPMS

Cerberus Capital Management LP owns Remington, DPMS, Bushmaster, Cobb Manufacturing and Marling Firearms under an umbrella entity named Freedom Group.

They are one of the largest private equity investment firms in the country and have many other sizable investments in automotive, sportswear, paper products, military services, real estate, energy, retail, glassmaking, transportation, and building products. In 2006, its holdings amounted to $24 billion.

So based on this information, I would not be surprised if DPMS made the R-25 and Bushmaster made the R-15.
Old 04-25-2011, 07:25 PM   #15
Liked 1310 Times on 898 Posts
Likes Given: 1396

Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Thanks Brother - I was watching Troy about the time of the big swing in the numbers last summer and it's paraphrased off of some dialogue in the movie. I did some reading on Achillies and I think he would approve of the liberty I took with it.

You can add it you your signature if you want. The more people that know how we feel ( that the Presidency is worth protecting, but not serving the man ) the better I think. We aren't for anarchy - we want a leader that we can respect and follow....

JD, like Jesse I've always meant to tell you what a good signature that is. A shame it's hard to find men like our founding fathers to fill the office today. Today it's as bad as it's ever got. Worse
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together.
US Army 1966-69, VFW Life Member, Retired Geek
Old 04-25-2011, 07:31 PM   #16
Liked 5738 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Nice thread! Howzabout an update since August of '09?
Dead Bears, the only good kind.
Old 04-25-2011, 08:00 PM   #17
Liked 649 Times on 426 Posts
Likes Given: 1313

I have a DPMS LR308AP4 use it for whitetail hunting and a truck rifle,I installed a Burris 2-6 power scope that has a illuminated reticle and have been very happy with my decision. I have an eotech I was going to install on the LR308AP4,well turkey season was about to begin??? The eotech has been on my turkey shotgun ever since.If I wasn't going with a traditional fixed power scope or a small variable scope,I would take a hard look at a eotech for close quarter shooting jmo

[IMG]DPMS/Remington R-25 - AR-15 Discussion[/IMG]
Old 05-01-2011, 03:53 PM   #18
Supporting Member
Liked 3909 Times on 1886 Posts
Likes Given: 1963

Just a couple of thoughts. You may also want to look at the 30mm Tube Scopes before you buy! They are my preference due to the light and clarity. As far as mounting a scope use caution not to mount it too high. You will not be able to get a comfortable and accurate cheek weld on the stock and will be Goose Necking to see through the scope. Accuracy will suffer as a result. Those shooting the (M-14) M1-A Style rifles also experience this due to the stock and receiver relationship. So they must use a riser on the stock (Cheek Pad) is needed. Same with the AR if the scope is mounted too high. If you are going to Scope it. They have extensions for the Charging Handle to eliminate the problem with the scope being mounted close to the receiver so it can be properly mounted. I would recommend a scope mount with rings and as Dillinger and some have mentioned quick release mount or rings.

Old 07-31-2011, 02:10 AM   #19

Just as an FYI, these R-25s are hitting out to 1000 yards and so a 9 power might be a bit less than perfect for anyone with eyes older than, say, 35... 40. I'm putting something a bit stronger on mine...
Old 07-31-2011, 10:40 PM   #20
Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 30

In reference to your idea of using iron sights and an optic, there are rail mounts available that go in the middle of a carry handle, you can see the scope and your iron sights. just a thought.
"I only regret I have but one life to lose for my country" Nathan Hale

Amendment 2 - Right to Bear Arms. Ratified 12/15/1791. Note

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.