Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   DPMS/Remington R-25 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/dpms-remington-r-25-a-11191/)

Jesse17 02-23-2009 04:58 AM

DPMS/Remington R-25
 
Ok, so I got a Remington R-25 .308 which is technically made by DPMS, and lots mags. Now my question is how to aim it.

I'm a crack shot with open/iron sites but don't have much experience with scopes, and zero experience with Red Dots. What would you'all recommend?

I bought the gun primarily for close quarters/mid-range self defense, which tells me I want iron sites; but I also like target shooting, and would like to use the gun to it fullest potential.

I'm anxious to see your replies. Do you think I should go with iron sites or a red dot, or maybe a VERY low power scope?

I been told that any kind of optics needs to have at least 1" of height under it. Is there a set up that could use iron sites and and optic? I've done this with 10-22s, where I could see thru the factory sites or the scope, but I don't know how feasible this is in a close quarters fire fight, or on an AR style.

Any feedback is appreciated, also any feedback on this particular gun would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jesse

bkt 02-23-2009 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jesse17 (Post 74147)
Ok, so I got a Remington R-25 .308 which is technically made by DPMS, and lots mags. Now my question is how to aim it.

I'm a crack shot with open/iron sites but don't have much experience with scopes, and zero experience with Red Dots. What would you'all recommend?

I bought the gun primarily for close quarters/mid-range self defense, which tells me I want iron sites; but I also like target shooting, and would like to use the gun to it fullest potential.

I'm anxious to see your replies. Do you think I should go with iron sites or a red dot, or maybe a VERY low power scope?

I been told that any kind of optics needs to have at least 1" of height under it. Is there a set up that could use iron sites and and optic? I've done this with 10-22s, where I could see thru the factory sites or the scope, but I don't know how feasible this is in a close quarters fire fight, or on an AR style.

Any feedback is appreciated, also any feedback on this particular gun would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jesse

A .308 is pretty ballsy for short-range defense, but it should get the job done.

If you go with a red-dot sight, you can often cowitness it with the iron sights. Aimpoint and Bushnell make good, relatively inexpensive holosights.

As for a scope, you should be able to get risers that will elevate it enough that you can peek under it and still use the iron sights.

A .308 can usually really reach out to long distances. I'd probably skip the red-dot and go with a decent scope.

Dillinger 02-23-2009 01:28 PM

Jesse - A .308 really isn't a close quarters weapon to be honest. Over penetration, especially in an urban environment, would be a concern.

Having said that, you have several options. If you like your iron sights, you can either set up a co-witness with a heads up like an Acog or a EoTech.

Or, you can get a set of fold down, flip up back up iron sights and get a low power scope ( 3 x 9 perhaps ) and get an ARMS quick release mount or one of these from Larue Tactical.

JD

Jesse17 03-03-2009 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dillinger (Post 74181)
Jesse - A .308 really isn't a close quarters weapon to be honest. Over penetration, especially in an urban environment, would be a concern.

Over penetration isn't a concern for me. If I ever need to use it for close quarters (God forbid), I'm in a very rural area, and I can't think of a scenario where I could get to the gun that SWMBO wouldn't be behind me (if she's home at all). I went with the .308 because I'm afraid that gun thieves may be wearing Kevlar vests in the future.

Thanks for the advice, I think I will go for something like a 3x9 with as large of lenses as I can afford, and I'll look into the suggestions of a fold down site as well.

PS. Dillinger, I don't know if I've said it before, but I absolutely love your signature about 'Me and my sword...'

Dillinger 03-03-2009 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jesse17 (Post 77275)

PS. Dillinger, I don't know if I've said it before, but I absolutely love your signature about 'Me and my sword...'


Thanks Brother - I was watching Troy about the time of the big swing in the numbers last summer and it's paraphrased off of some dialogue in the movie. I did some reading on Achillies and I think he would approve of the liberty I took with it. :D

You can add it you your signature if you want. The more people that know how we feel ( that the Presidency is worth protecting, but not serving the man ) the better I think. We aren't for anarchy - we want a leader that we can respect and follow....

JD

Jesse17 03-03-2009 02:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dillinger (Post 77288)
Thanks Brother - I was watching Troy about the time of the big swing in the numbers last summer and it's paraphrased off of some dialogue in the movie. I did some reading on Achillies and I think he would approve of the liberty I took with it. :D

You can add it you your signature if you want. The more people that know how we feel ( that the Presidency is worth protecting, but not serving the man ) the better I think. We aren't for anarchy - we want a leader that we can respect and follow....

JD

Thank you, I believe I will add it. I have to admit, I've already used it in some emails since I first saw you use it.

Dillinger 03-03-2009 02:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jesse17 (Post 77340)
Thank you, I believe I will add it. I have to admit, I've already used it in some emails since I first saw you use it.

LOL - That's going to cost you a nickel per use under the "Posted Ahead of You" in the Forum Court.... ;)

JD

J33Nelson 03-03-2009 01:11 PM

"Ok, so I got a Remington R-25 .308 which is technically made by DPMS,"


I am not sure about that statement. The Remington R-25 is exactly the same as Bushmaster since they are owned by the same parent company. I don't think it has anything to do with DPMS.

Jesse17 03-04-2009 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J33Nelson (Post 77529)
"Ok, so I got a Remington R-25 .308 which is technically made by DPMS,"


I am not sure about that statement. The Remington R-25 is exactly the same as Bushmaster since they are owned by the same parent company. I don't think it has anything to do with DPMS.

Well, the gun shop told me it was made by DPMS, and Remington refers you to DPMS when you call about mags.

After I read your post, I did a couple quick searches for "DPMS Remington R-25" from glancing at the results, it looks like the R-15 is made by Bushmaster, and the R-25 is made by DPMS.

Most of the results were from forums like this, so I still haven't seen in black and white where Remington or DPMS has made the claim. But, it's tending to look like it's indeed made by DPMS.

GonzoLonzo 08-04-2009 04:52 AM

I just bought the R25 also and was wondering what would be a good scope for the .308, I am new to rifles. I have always been into archery and handguns.
Also, Jesse17 did the mags from DPMS work on this rifle? I have been having trouble finding mags for this.


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:44 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.