dpms oracle. - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > dpms oracle.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2013, 06:54 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

I have a dpms ap4 an never had any probs out of it. In my opinion ar is an ar. Some have extra bells an extra cost. They all operate the same way. Some of the big names all u pay for is the name

Old 10-05-2013, 11:06 AM   #12

Liked 27 Times on 19 Posts

Thanks guys!

Old 10-05-2013, 03:39 PM   #13

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I recently (last June) purchased a DPMS Oracle in 5.56. I had a Bushmaster 16" M4 ORC which I sold when the prices were high.

I have had a few AR's over the years and this Oracle was not my first DPMS, however it was my first Oracle. I never did shoot the Oracle out of the box as I had to wait for a scope mount to arrive. Since I had to order the scope mount I also ordered a Hogue Aluminum Rifle Length Knurled Free Float Tube, G27 Finger Groove Pistol Grip and Model 1 Sales Tactical Charging Handle Latch.

Once all my parts arrived I installed the Free Float Tube, Pistol Grip, Tactical Charging Handle Latch and mounted up a Bushnell 1.5x4.5x32mm Riflescope. I also did a do it yourself trigger job on the DPMS. I then set out to break the barrel in. Man this thing grabbed copper like it was a copper magnet. However in the end I finally won and the more I shoot it the better it gets.

Recently I have been shooting with my son in law and grandkids every weekend. I have been mainly shooting my standby load of 55gr. Nosler Ballistic Tips loaded with H-4895, but also worked up a new load for my grand daughter to use for the Youth Deer Season that used 65gr. Sierra Gameking Spitzer Boat Tails loaded with Varget.

Both of these loads will shoot sub MOA Groups from the bench at 100 yards with ease and both loads have been in the .5's for the best groups out of this DPMS Oracle with a few modifications. In over 300 rounds now through a new gun I have yet to have a malfunction of any kind.

The main reason I bought this DPMS Oracle is from previous experience with DPMS. I have worked on numerous DPMS Oracles, Sporticals and AP4's for friends installing Free Float Tubes, Trigger Jobs etc. and all have shot quite good. I have also had a couple DPMS Panther Bull 20's over the years, one fluted barrel one standard bull barrel and they have been the most accurate .223's I have ever shot in 35 years of shooting .223's.

Larry

Old 10-05-2013, 07:33 PM   #14

Liked 42 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry in SD View Post
I recently (last June) purchased a DPMS Oracle in 5.56. I had a Bushmaster 16" M4 ORC which I sold when the prices were high.

I have had a few AR's over the years and this Oracle was not my first DPMS, however it was my first Oracle. I never did shoot the Oracle out of the box as I had to wait for a scope mount to arrive. Since I had to order the scope mount I also ordered a Hogue Aluminum Rifle Length Knurled Free Float Tube, G27 Finger Groove Pistol Grip and Model 1 Sales Tactical Charging Handle Latch.

Once all my parts arrived I installed the Free Float Tube, Pistol Grip, Tactical Charging Handle Latch and mounted up a Bushnell 1.5x4.5x32mm Riflescope. I also did a do it yourself trigger job on the DPMS. I then set out to break the barrel in. Man this thing grabbed copper like it was a copper magnet. However in the end I finally won and the more I shoot it the better it gets.

Recently I have been shooting with my son in law and grandkids every weekend. I have been mainly shooting my standby load of 55gr. Nosler Ballistic Tips loaded with H-4895, but also worked up a new load for my grand daughter to use for the Youth Deer Season that used 65gr. Sierra Gameking Spitzer Boat Tails loaded with Varget.

Both of these loads will shoot sub MOA Groups from the bench at 100 yards with ease and both loads have been in the .5's for the best groups out of this DPMS Oracle with a few modifications. In over 300 rounds now through a new gun I have yet to have a malfunction of any kind.

The main reason I bought this DPMS Oracle is from previous experience with DPMS. I have worked on numerous DPMS Oracles, Sporticals and AP4's for friends installing Free Float Tubes, Trigger Jobs etc. and all have shot quite good. I have also had a couple DPMS Panther Bull 20's over the years, one fluted barrel one standard bull barrel and they have been the most accurate .223's I have ever shot in 35 years of shooting .223's.

Larry
I've had a very similar experience with my Oracle few small mods and 2000+ rounds later with only barrel cleaning no malfunctions of any kind I only paid 400 from a buddy put $200 ish in it and wanted to see what it could take for abuse and its a great rifle.

I acctually just cleaned it a few days ago after about 2600 rounds total thru it, it was nasty took me almost 2 hours, but its beautiful now looks almost brand new again

My 2¢

Work Hard Play Hard

Old 10-05-2013, 08:08 PM   #15

Liked 42 Times on 33 Posts

Other than the stiff and long trigger, no complaints yet on the Oracle. Took care of the trigger, lots better now. Havent tried any of the steel cased ammo, but everything else has shot and functioned as it should.
Maybe theres subtle differences between the lower end and the upper end ARs, cant say for sure. But I do know of a few 'custom' builds that have been outshot and outperfomed by a lowly Oracle. Im just not fully convinced that the name on the side makes that much difference. Theres alot of loyal brand followers out there tho.

Old 10-05-2013, 09:51 PM   #16

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Hey Larry you said something bout ff guards on an ap4. What would you recomend. I want to keep the front site stock. I dont see many choices to do that. I would also like to not break the bank.

Old 10-05-2013, 11:16 PM   #17

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Actually on my buddies AP4 we used a DPMS Carbine Length Aluminum Free Float Tube. I knocked out the two tapered pins, removed the front sight base gas block, swapped out the handguards for the new Free Float Tube and reinstalled the front sight base gas block and put the pins back in. The carbine length free float tube allowed the use of the original front sight gas block without problems.

Larry

Old 10-06-2013, 01:32 AM   #18

Liked 1032 Times on 725 Posts
Likes Given: 1029

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry in SD View Post
Actually on my buddies AP4 we used a DPMS Carbine Length Aluminum Free Float Tube. I knocked out the two tapered pins, removed the front sight base gas block, swapped out the handguards for the new Free Float Tube and reinstalled the front sight base gas block and put the pins back in. The carbine length free float tube allowed the use of the original front sight gas block without problems.

Larry
Curious, when did DPMS start taper pinning the FSB? They weren't doing that around 2009, just straight pins. It would be interesting to see if they're trying to upscale a little here and there, especially considering almost unbeatable competitors like PSA.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 10-06-2013, 03:22 PM   #19

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The two AP4's I have worked on (one a LR308 AP4 and one a 5.56 AP4) both had the front sight base gas blocks held on with tapered pins. All of the rest of the DPMS AR's I have worked on have had a railed gas block that was held in place with 2 set screws.

Larry

Old 10-06-2013, 07:19 PM   #20

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Thank u for the tip larry