DPMS Oracle
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > DPMS Oracle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2013, 09:34 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default DPMS Oracle

Looking to buy the dmps oracle...just a casual shooter maybe use for hogs every now and then...any one know some pros and cons?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-07-2013, 09:50 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1198 Times on 669 Posts
Likes Given: 497

For your reading pleasure:

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/does-dpms-make-good-rifles-93051/

Old 07-07-2013, 10:53 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1726 Times on 897 Posts
Likes Given: 3651

I think it would be good for what you want it for. Some say they are great. Some say their a piece of crap. I bought one before prices went up. Then when the prices did go up, traded it for a much better Lever Action rifle.

Old 07-08-2013, 07:09 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 244 Times on 192 Posts
Likes Given: 30

The Oracle is a fine example of an entry level $700 AR. Nothing wrong with it. I'd suggest also considering the S&W M&P Sport...basically the same gun, maybe $50 more, but with a more versatile 1:8 twist.

$800 or so can get you into a rifle with substantially better parts throughout if that's something you desire.

Old 07-08-2013, 11:41 PM   #5

Liked 74 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeper22 View Post
The Oracle is a fine example of an entry level $700 AR. Nothing wrong with it. I'd suggest also considering the S&W M&P Sport...basically the same gun, maybe $50 more, but with a more versatile 1:8 twist.

$800 or so can get you into a rifle with substantially better parts throughout if that's something you desire.
I don't consider it basically being the same Rifle in any way.

Sport DIDN'T have a Dust Cover, Forward Assist. What is called Smooth-Side. One I saw didn't have Rear Sight, but has pinned, Front sight. Loose fitting Upper to Lower, mismatch color Anodizing, 1/8 barrel twist. Don't know if Chrome-Lined. I like S&W but quality turned me off.
Warranty I believe was only 1yr. Price $750

Oracle HAS Dust Cover, Forward Assist. Good color match Anodizing, NO Front/Rear Sights. Nice tight Upper to Lower fit. You can get whatever suits your fancy in Optics/BUIS. 1/9 barrel twist. Barrel NOT Chrome-Lined.
Warranty 3yr. Price $650.

These were just a quick assessment of what I found when looking at AR's before the "panic of 2012". Price compared to function knowing I was gonna change things out to suit me, and needing Optics, due to Eye Sight.

I will say I wish the barrel on the Oracle was a 1/8 twist, but I can live with it. Over time, I've changed out a few things to make it work better for me.
Forward Grip: UTG USA Pro (Slim)Quad Rail w/rail covers. Good USA--not China.
Hand Grip: UTG Combat Sniper Ergo Pistol Grip w/Compartment.
Optic: Bushnell TRS-32 Red Dot w/Mount.
Carry Strap: Winchester Padded from WalMart mounted with UTG QD Swivel.
BCG:PSA FA Anonized w/Charging handle
Charging Handle: DPMS-Miculek Steel.
KNS Hammer/Trigger anti-rot Stainless Pins
DPMS Heavy Buffer for the "stock" AR BCG. Stock Buffer for FA BCG.
Bolt Release: MagPul BAD Release.
Magazines: USGI, Troy Defense, DPMS. Will get a couple MagPuls some Day.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:52 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1198 Times on 669 Posts
Likes Given: 497

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triumphman View Post
I don't consider it basically being the same Rifle in any way.

Sport DIDN'T have a Dust Cover, Forward Assist. What is called Smooth-Side. One I saw didn't have Rear Sight, but has pinned, Front sight. Loose fitting Upper to Lower, mismatch color Anodizing, 1/8 barrel twist. Don't know if Chrome-Lined. I like S&W but quality turned me off.
Warranty I believe was only 1yr. Price $750

Oracle HAS Dust Cover, Forward Assist. Good color match Anodizing, NO Front/Rear Sights. Nice tight Upper to Lower fit. You can get whatever suits your fancy in Optics/BUIS. 1/9 barrel twist. Barrel NOT Chrome-Lined.
Warranty 3yr. Price $650.

These were just a quick assessment of what I found when looking at AR's before the "panic of 2012". Price compared to function knowing I was gonna change things out to suit me, and needing Optics, due to Eye Sight.

I will say I wish the barrel on the Oracle was a 1/8 twist, but I can live with it. Over time, I've changed out a few things to make it work better for me.
Forward Grip: UTG USA Pro (Slim)Quad Rail w/rail covers. Good USA--not China.
Hand Grip: UTG Combat Sniper Ergo Pistol Grip w/Compartment.
Optic: Bushnell TRS-32 Red Dot w/Mount.
Carry Strap: Winchester Padded from WalMart mounted with UTG QD Swivel.
BCG:PSA FA Anonized w/Charging handle
Charging Handle: DPMS-Miculek Steel.
KNS Hammer/Trigger anti-rot Stainless Pins
DPMS Heavy Buffer for the "stock" AR BCG. Stock Buffer for FA BCG.
Bolt Release: MagPul BAD Release.
Magazines: USGI, Troy Defense, DPMS. Will get a couple MagPuls some Day.
First off I own a DPMS carbine and have had no problems. But what is the total tab on your aftermarket add ons?

OP can get a BCM or a PSA and be ready to put feral swine on the smoker with no mods, just add preferred optic.
Old 07-09-2013, 12:41 AM   #7

Liked 1003 Times on 705 Posts
Likes Given: 1003

Gator's right, if you try to fix a low price gun's problems after the fact (like the BCG, etc.) the price goes up but you still have issues, like the barrel. In today's market I wouldn't go out looking for a new DPMS when PSA and Spikes give you more for similar money and BCM is just $200+ more. Might as well get it right the first time.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 07-09-2013, 01:38 AM   #8

Liked 74 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 35

I've had absolutely no problems with my Oracle either. The Hand Grip($20) I got because of large Hands. QD Sling Swivel($11) because of no Front Sling Swivel on Rifle, Quad Rail($60) for Light, Sling attachment point, Padded Sling($10), Bushnell Optic($129), MagPul BAD Lever($25).
Other than Optics, I could of used the "stock" Rifle as it was, but even changing out, or adding a few items, it makes what I think is a very good AR, into something I feel is more enjoyable and reliable in the long run, whether used for SHTF or for Hunting, as this is gonna be the only AR I will have.
Other than not having a Chrome-Lined Barrel or BCG, I'm happy with the Oracle, and what I didn't have to spend, just to get either a Name, or components that I feel I didn't need.
Can't say it's better than FN, Colt, BCM, Spikes and others, as I've never gone up against them and their price tags. Would like to test out one day. What I know is it works for me, and if it saves me or my Family and puts food on Table, then it was worth every "Cheap ASS Penny" of it, over a Name or how Mil-Spec it is/isn't.

I believe it's better to have a "good-cheap" $100 Gun in your hands when the time comes, than have a $800 Gun sitting on your Bedroom Dresser.

Old 07-09-2013, 02:11 AM   #9

Liked 42 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I own an oracle myself bought it from a buddy when he needed some money.

Only complaint is BCG is junk the email i recieved from DPMS said it was made from 4140 steel which is completely rediculous not built to last!!!

but other then that its a fine rifle quite acccurate. And never had any failures of any kind I had ran over 2k rounds thru it without cleaning it again with no troubles when I went out yesterday and put another 340 thru it for what I paid it's great.

I'll replace the bcg when this one dies same with the barrel but the rest of the gun is fine, upper reciever and lower reciever ARE milspec from what there website says

Work Hard Play Hard

Last edited by BigBizz87; 07-09-2013 at 02:18 AM.

Old 07-10-2013, 07:49 PM   #10

Liked 1131 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBizz87 View Post
I own an oracle myself bought it from a buddy when he needed some money.

Only complaint is BCG is junk the email i received from DPMS said it was made from 4140 steel which is completely ridiculous not built to last!!!

but other then that its a fine rifle quite accurate. And never had any failures of any kind I had ran over 2k rounds thru it without cleaning it again with no troubles when I went out yesterday and put another 340 thru it for what I paid it's great.

I'll replace the bcg when this one dies same with the barrel but the rest of the gun is fine, upper reciever and lower reciever ARE milspec from what there website says
After doing some reading and research on steel and its qualities, I wouldn't call 4140 junk , alot of barrels are made with 4140 steel , Now Im sure it was a AR15 carrier and visual quality is just so so , However you made a good decision to replace it with a better quality piece , it is the heart of the gun that keeps it running

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens
bluez Likes This