Dpms lr 308?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Dpms lr 308?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2012, 01:25 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 51 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Default Dpms lr 308?

A buddy of mine put a few bucks down on a DPMS LR 308 Oracle. He wanted to know what I thought about it before he finalized the purchase. I told him I didn't no anything about it, but I would ask some AR experts. So, here I am asking, any good. What kind of accuracy and reliability can he expect?

Thanks.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-05-2012, 01:37 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5671 Times on 2962 Posts
Likes Given: 375

Im not a huge fan of dpms in general but i havent heard any real negatives about their ar10 type guns.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 08-05-2012, 09:33 PM   #3

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Contrary to their reputation with AR15s, DPMS' Ar10s are actually quite reputable.

Hm

Read that as DPMS AR10s are made pretty darn good. Coupled with cheap reliable magpul mags, and a low price point, they a good choice for plinking or hunting.

Of the 308 AR platform, all the reports I've seen point that they general get 15 to 2 moa with match grade ammo, not bad but not as good as SR25 or pofs or lwrc or noveske etc etc.

Old 08-05-2012, 10:06 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5717 Times on 3232 Posts
Likes Given: 5148

I have the LAR 308 AP4 carbine. I really love it.

Winston Churchill

Old 08-05-2012, 10:17 PM   #5

Liked 3735 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve4102 View Post
A buddy of mine put a few bucks down on a DPMS LR 308 Oracle. He wanted to know what I thought about it before he finalized the purchase. I told him I didn't no anything about it, but I would ask some AR experts. So, here I am asking, any good. What kind of accuracy and reliability can he expect?

Thanks.
I have their LR308B and it has been an excellent rifle, very accurate right out of the box. The only knock I have on it is that 1 of the 10rd mags that came with it is a bit hinky and tends to jam. It's not the best AR10 out there, but it is far from the worst and it doesn't cost $1800+

as far as performance, one should expect sub MOA accuracy at 100yds, if not 200yds out of it ... anything less would not be acceptable

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 08-06-2012, 07:12 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 244 Times on 192 Posts
Likes Given: 31

I had one, it was the 18" bbl version. Good AR-10 for under $1k, and I went with the bbl mostly for long range shooting. It was pretty tight with 168gr match ammo. Even with the 168gr American Eagle "M1A" rounds.

I think if your friend intends it to be a jack of all trades type of gun (CQB, medium, long range) I really recommend the AP4. It's a few bucks more, but not a lot. For exclusive long range target practice, advantage bull or extended stainless barrels.

Or there's always the M1A, which is my current preference.

But DPMS makes solid 308's at super competitive prices.

Old 08-07-2012, 01:05 AM   #7

Liked 157 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 119

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
I have the LAR 308 AP4 carbine. I really love it.
Ditto here. I've had this one for around 4 or 5 months now. It's been a very accurate, dependable shooter. I'm not sure if the Oracle has a free floated forend or not. (I'm too lazy to look it up right now). If it doesn't, I would spend the few extra bucks for the AP-4 Carbine. A free floated forend is one of the easiest way to make most any AR type rifle more accurate. I'm going to keep mine with the stock iron sights. All I've done to it thus far was install a Vltor E-Mod Stock and a Ergo Grip on it. The gun feels a lot better with them in place.

Old 08-07-2012, 05:09 PM   #8

Liked 1131 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by billt View Post
Ditto here. I've had this one for around 4 or 5 months now. It's been a very accurate, dependable shooter. I'm not sure if the Oracle has a free floated forend or not. (I'm too lazy to look it up right now). If it doesn't, I would spend the few extra bucks for the AP-4 Carbine. A free floated forend is one of the easiest way to make most any AR type rifle more accurate. I'm going to keep mine with the stock iron sights. All I've done to it thus far was install a Vltor E-Mod Stock and a Ergo Grip on it. The gun feels a lot better with them in place.

Very nice Bill, I really like it with the FSP / gas block , Im just not a fan of that ugly gas block they put on the rest of them . cant tell from the pics but is that carry handle removable ? Damn good price on it also compared to everything else I have been looking at

Old 08-07-2012, 05:32 PM   #9

Liked 157 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 119

Yes, the carry handle is removable. I've been shooting it with just the irons. But it's nice to have the capability to scope it if you so desire at some point. This photo shows the carry handle mounting screws.