Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   DPMS Build (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/dpms-build-85386/)

willijayt 02-28-2013 03:48 AM

DPMS Build
 
1 Attachment(s)
I just got a DPMS back home so I'm going to start building it up so it's ready when I visit home. I've had some ideas of what I want to do to it but would like some opinions.

Foregrip or hand guard I was looking at DD omega x mid length I like the flush look rather than the D ring.

I like Ergo Grips F93 pro but stock because the look is unique

I want a drop in trigger and though its expensive have been looking at POF's one with EFP

Magpul mags and pistol grip

Aim point sight

Some type of reliable flip up sights

Some kind if low profile light and mount

Tango down sling mount

Phase 5 charging handle

Ambidextrous select fire

Phase 5 version of bad lever gen 2

Good low profile gas block

A muzzle break or flash hider that actually enhances the gun not just look good

Phase 5 trigger Gaurd

So yeah I didn't put much info into what I plan on getting I'm more interested in seeing what you all recommend

bluez 02-28-2013 03:56 AM

Welcome to the site!:)
Enjoy your build!

sweeper22 02-28-2013 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willijayt (Post 1157364)
So yeah I didn't put much info into what I plan on getting I'm more interested in seeing what you all recommend

There are some folks out there who are going to poo-poo the DPMS brand. I am not one of them. I had one, and it was a great rifle for me. But I am going to offer you a bit of advice, before you start emptying your bank account:

This is a $700 rifle. Your proposed project reminds me a bit of when you see a guy spending $25K accessorizing his $12K Honda Civic. And at the end, it's still a used Civic that he poured brand new Lexus/Audi/BMW-type money into. Just know that it's money you will never recover, because to some degree, it'll still be a DPMS.

I'm not saying ditch the DPMS. But you might come out a lot better if you kept it simple and let it be what it is...a good, simple carbine. And then invest in a higher end gun (as things hopefully calm down a bit) that'll be more worthy of the finances you're throwing at it. When available (I know, that's a tricky proposition at this moment), you could get a Daniel Defense, with the $350 rail you want, a better barrel & BCG, Magpul stock/trigger guard/grip, etc, all included for like $1400-1800...instead of spending similar (perhaps more) money to build all that around a DPMS with a lesser barrel/BCG, which are the most crucial components in your rifle's actual performance and reliability.

The point: A Civic is a perfectly good car. So is an Audi. But if you're going to spend Audi money, don't come home with a spruced up Civic.

GeneralPatton 02-28-2013 10:33 PM

My first AR was a DPMS. I had a plan not to different from yours. Opportunity knocked, and I answered the door and sold mine. I fired a couple hundred rounds through mine, and I had no issue with .5MOA at my local range. Oddly enough, I've yet to best 1.5MOA on a higher quality rifle.

lilnoug 02-28-2013 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweeper22

There are some folks out there who are going to poo-poo the DPMS brand. I am not one of them. I had one, and it was a great rifle for me. But I am going to offer you a bit of advice, before you start emptying your bank account:

This is a $700 rifle. Your proposed project reminds me a bit of when you see a guy spending $25K accessorizing his $12K Honda Civic. And at the end, it's still a used Civic that he poured brand new Lexus/Audi/BMW-type money into. Just know that it's money you will never recover, because to some degree, it'll still be a DPMS.

I'm not saying ditch the DPMS. But you might come out a lot better if you kept it simple and let it be what it is...a good, simple carbine. And then invest in a higher end gun (as things hopefully calm down a bit) that'll be more worthy of the finances you're throwing at it. When available (I know, that's a tricky proposition at this moment), you could get a Daniel Defense, with the $350 rail you want, a better barrel & BCG, Magpul stock/trigger guard/grip, etc, all included for like $1400-1800...instead of spending similar (perhaps more) money to build all that around a DPMS with a lesser barrel/BCG, which are the most crucial components in your rifle's actual performance and reliability.

The point: A Civic is a perfectly good car. So is an Audi. But if you're going to spend Audi money, don't come home with a spruced up Civic.

I was thinking the same thing when I read the post. I put all those listed accessories on my colt, DD and Rick river. I put magpul moe, MI quad rail and vortex red dot on DPMS. Never understood those people that buy old ass crown Vic's and drop thousands of $$$ just to make it look good. Good advice

lilnoug 02-28-2013 11:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I just realized I picked up that same gun Christmas Eve for $629 at cabelas.

Attachment 88173

Bought this to shoot cheap ammo and CMMG conversion bolt carrier with. Lookalike crap out of the box but a little lipstick goes a long way. You ll be happy

willijayt 03-01-2013 01:29 AM

I like DPMS but just cause there not mil spec I don't think that qualifies them as a civic. Granted by the time I'm done with this project not a thing on it will be DPMS but maybe the lower

bluez 03-01-2013 01:34 AM

US made DPMS is used by the phillipine Army fighting the muslim insurgency in tough jungle conditions and they have no complaints!

Enjoy your rifle!! :)

PS: I also own and enjoy expensive "boutique rifles", but that is as a collector.
I have owned entry level rifles and they were accurate and reliable even if the finish was not as nice as on the expensive ones.
Since we dont expose our rifles to the stress of full auto fire they can be extremely reliable even w/o the most expensive components.

Quentin 03-01-2013 05:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweeper22 (Post 1158044)
There are some folks out there who are going to poo-poo the DPMS brand. I am not one of them. I had one, and it was a great rifle for me. But I am going to offer you a bit of advice, before you start emptying your bank account:

This is a $700 rifle. Your proposed project reminds me a bit of when you see a guy spending $25K accessorizing his $12K Honda Civic. And at the end, it's still a used Civic that he poured brand new Lexus/Audi/BMW-type money into. Just know that it's money you will never recover, because to some degree, it'll still be a DPMS.

I'm not saying ditch the DPMS. But you might come out a lot better if you kept it simple and let it be what it is...a good, simple carbine. And then invest in a higher end gun (as things hopefully calm down a bit) that'll be more worthy of the finances you're throwing at it. When available (I know, that's a tricky proposition at this moment), you could get a Daniel Defense, with the $350 rail you want, a better barrel & BCG, Magpul stock/trigger guard/grip, etc, all included for like $1400-1800...instead of spending similar (perhaps more) money to build all that around a DPMS with a lesser barrel/BCG, which are the most crucial components in your rifle's actual performance and reliability.

The point: A Civic is a perfectly good car. So is an Audi. But if you're going to spend Audi money, don't come home with a spruced up Civic.

New guy, please understand what Sweeper is saying to you. This is the best advice you could hope to get before you start tapping into the credit card. Ever hear the saying "You can't make a silk purse... ?"

sweeper22 03-01-2013 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willijayt (Post 1158405)
I like DPMS but just cause there not mil spec I don't think that qualifies them as a civic. Granted by the time I'm done with this project not a thing on it will be DPMS but maybe the lower

Your gun is a $700-ish gun. I don't say that with any intention of coming off as some insulting AR enthusiast brand-snob. It's probably a very good gun at that price. Mine absolutely was, and maybe someday I'll have another. I had a $700 Sportical that I upgraded with an M16 bolt, MOE furniture, and a Millet red dot. So I built it into an ultra reliable $950 light carbine. I have zero complaints about that gun. But I'd hesitate to dump much more money into such a platform, considering the alternative options once you get north of $1K.

If I'm going to place all my cards on the table, you're right. DPMS is not equivalent to a Honda Civic. It's more like a Hyundai. A good, practical, and reliable piece of equipment at its price, but with limited resale value and certainly not to be confused with higher end stuff. The difference between "in demand" and "big box store mediocrity" is dictated both by true quality parts that matter greatly in fuctional reliability, as well as popular brand names that offer little more than being trendy and expensive. But even the latter actually does matter if you ever decide to sell.

You can in fact build an excellent rifle on the most basic DPMS platform. This is undeniable. But you also can do a lot better (for yourself and your wallet) than your proposed project. You can build a similar, probably superior gun, for similar money, that will likely have a 50-100% greater resale value. And that's just plain better for you in every way.

There's nothing wrong with a basic DPMS. But if you attempt to turn one into a $2K gun, when you could build/upgrade a DD/LMT/BCM/etc at the same price...you lose. And believe it or not, I'd greatly prefer that you win. You don't have to buy the high end stuff. The cheap stuff is in fact pretty good. But it would be a foolish decision (regarding both quality and financial implications) to build expensive stuff around a cheaper platform in my opinion.


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:54 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.