Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   dpms ar10 recon vs colt le901 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/dpms-ar10-recon-vs-colt-le901-102932/)

Ultimate_sig 01-18-2014 05:44 AM

dpms ar10 recon vs colt le901
 
What are yalls thoughts on these two? I don't want to buy a name, I'm more interested in performance. Which will perform greater in reliability, accuracy, over all lifespan? Any advise will be appreciated

JonM 01-18-2014 03:42 PM

i went down that route before the re-election of dear leader. i was just about to go with the colt 901 when the deal feel through and im kinda glad it did as i have read mixed reviews of it. i ended up going with the scar17s.

what i didnt like about the dpms was the balance and weight. its a HEAVY gun and feeels very nose heavy to me. the 901 is a bit better in balance. the scar17 is perfect and is very comparable in weight to most ar15 builds.

if your considering a 901 you are in the price range of a scar17.

i would suggest looking at all three in real life if possible.

scar17
monolithic upper
very easy to work on
barrels can be swapped for other calibers and return to zero
very accurate like all 308 semi autos
lightweight
well balanced
lots of aftermarket mods
very good iron sights
poor stock trigger
uses proprietary mags

dpms308
very accurate
uses pmags
some aftermarket parts and accessories are specific to ar10 manufacturer
usable but not great stock trigger
some reported reliability issues when very dirty
balance can be an issue

colt 901
monolithic upper
accuracy unknown to me
can accept 223/556 style uppers
uses pmags
excellent iron sights
still new and has been delayed for various issues
not much aftermarket parts
jury still out on longterm reliability

prolly more plusses minuses im missing

Ultimate_sig 01-18-2014 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM (Post 1485563)
i went down that route before the re-election of dear leader. i was just about to go with the colt 901 when the deal feel through and im kinda glad it did as i have read mixed reviews of it. i ended up going with the scar17s.

what i didnt like about the dpms was the balance and weight. its a HEAVY gun and feeels very nose heavy to me. the 901 is a bit better in balance. the scar17 is perfect and is very comparable in weight to most ar15 builds.

if your considering a 901 you are in the price range of a scar17.

i would suggest looking at all three in real life if possible.

scar17
monolithic upper
very easy to work on
barrels can be swapped for other calibers and return to zero
very accurate like all 308 semi autos
lightweight
well balanced
lots of aftermarket mods
very good iron sights
poor stock trigger
uses proprietary mags

dpms308
very accurate
uses pmags
some aftermarket parts and accessories are specific to ar10 manufacturer
usable but not great stock trigger
some reported reliability issues when very dirty
balance can be an issue

colt 901
monolithic upper
accuracy unknown to me
can accept 223/556 style uppers
uses pmags
excellent iron sights
still new and has been delayed for various issues
not much aftermarket parts
jury still out on longterm reliability

prolly more plusses minuses im missing

Thanks. I have the dpms and the colt was a possible trade. I put a cmc trigger in because your right, the trigger was way to heavy. I'd love to get a scar but the price tag is pretty heafty.

JonM 01-18-2014 06:38 PM

I won't say this about many guns but it's worth it. Especially after your done messing with it.

If any rifle is a do it all it's the scar17. Dmr, sniper, battle rifle, cqb, hunting.

I have yet to find a load that shoots over 1 moa. My experience is how far under moa will it go.

sweeper22 01-20-2014 08:47 PM

I had a DPMS LR308 and really like the Recon package for the price. While I'm not a huge fan of Panther AR15's, their 308 products offer excellent performance for the price IMO. And I really like the Recon (which would get a number of upgrades if I bought one, beginning with the stock and trigger).

The Recon's been in the back of my mind for a while, as has the FN Scar-17 (different price points, obviously). But for the $1500 price range, I think the Recon, M1A, and DSA Fal are the best semi-auto 308 options out there. But that whole perspective could get tipped on it's head when PSA's AR10 becomes available. If I'm in your shoes (and if you're determined to go the AR-10 route), I'd probably wait a few weeks and see what becomes of Palmetto's PA-10.

Have to expect PSA's demand will be heavy and rifles/parts/portions will be selling out fast for the remainder of this year. They've got a huge following...but for good reason. The quality to price ratio at PSA is generally great, bordering on inconceivable.

Ultimate_sig 03-09-2014 03:35 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I have a recon 308. Put in a cms trigger, can grip, and will be putting on a pre stock. Great rifle and the pistol grip feels amazin

Sent from my LGMS500 using Firearms Talk mobile app

Ultimate_sig 03-09-2014 03:43 AM

Sorry, caa grip and cmc trigger

Sent from my LGMS500 using Firearms Talk mobile app

Alpha1Victor 03-09-2014 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ultimate_sig (Post 1485341)
What are yalls thoughts on these two? I don't want to buy a name, I'm more interested in performance. Which will perform greater in reliability, accuracy, over all lifespan? Any advise will be appreciated

What is your intended use?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Firearms Talk mobile app

Ultimate_sig 03-10-2014 02:38 AM

Long rang precision shooting

Sent from my LGMS500 using Firearms Talk mobile app

Alpha1Victor 03-10-2014 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ultimate_sig (Post 1526923)
Long rang precision shooting

Sent from my LGMS500 using Firearms Talk mobile app

Do you have much experience with long range shooting and what's your experience with sass rifles. I ask only to share my experience as a Marine Corps Sniper.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Firearms Talk mobile app


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:38 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.