DPMS AR or Del-Ton AR - Page 7
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > DPMS AR or Del-Ton AR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2012, 04:34 AM   #61
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

This thread is a few years old. That being said, at the time this thread was started everyone was praising the all mighty colt and the likes. Research colt reliability and why the acr, scar, remington ar platform, h&k, sig ect were developed for the military, and why colt actually ultimately won, and it was not because they were the best! colt m4 variants mil spec constantly have had problems up through 2009. you can read the military test reports online. because colt continually malfunctioned in the field and during actual combat use, military wanted to replace it. Just because it says colt on the name does not mean it is any better than all the others. True, sometimes you get what you pay for, but even with the pricey colts, which i carried briefly and "use to own", they all at some point will fail! Getting a colt or lmt, stag, ect is alot like buying a car. You can buy a bmw and you pay for it, but truth be told, is it more reliable than its competitors? Delton, dpms, whichever, get a mil spec and change the trigger and it is just as good and reliable than the more pricey ones. Someone mentioned the m&p 15 sport. It is a mil spec barrel, with the omision of dust cover, which was added years after armalite introduced the ar platform but people think you have to have, and the forward assist, again, as shown with the sport m&p has been shown unnecessary as you can just use your finger and have a reduced risk of a double fed forced in the assist rendering the rifle useless. It has the same barrel as the more expensive variants, m4, with 1/8 5r twist which is normally only found in higher end long range/sniper type systems, and so far has proven just as reliable, yet is cheaper than even the del-ton and dpms... go figure.. price has nothing to do with reliability. My fnp usg 9 is just as reliable as my glock. My mini-14 has only had 1 malfunction in 14 years, but my colt LE or my m-16 a2 i carried both constantly had problems. Dont fall into the myth that expensive is better. It has been proven time and again to be a myth. same spec rifles from all companies using same rate of twist, same bolt carrier style, same spec everything can have 1k dollar price difference to get the exact same results. And unless you are going to war with this particular rifle, any "cheap" rifle will work for sport or even home defense. Personally i will never pay for another colt as you are only paying for a name. I know there are the ones out there that will argue til they are blue in the face that just dont want to hear the truth because they own something better than stated, but truth be told, put a decent barrell on a cheap del-ton and decent scope, trigger, still being cheaper than lmt and colt, and will run and shoot just as tight just as far. This is the same as arguing glock, xd,m&p, ect. I own all 3, an would take my fnp over all for reliability and accuracy, and it again was the cheapest! have had glock jam with buffalo bore ammo in 3 different mags, m&p 1 failure to extract, ex, i just dont like and am getting rid of, but the fn has been 100% relliable thus far with 2k rounds through it. now tha i am done ranting, if you want to spend your money on a good ar, save and get a barrett ar, yes, i said a barrett, same price as colt, at around 1500 base price if you can find it! they make a reliable 50 cal with no complaints, seems to me they would make a great ar also!

Old 01-09-2012, 05:02 AM   #62

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Hey thatguy216! Hope you don't mind, I am reposting your post with a little addition called a Hard Return. Using the hard return key makes your post look like there are paragraphs in it - I was just trying to make your post easier to read:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This thread is a few years old. That being said, at the time this thread was started everyone was praising the all mighty colt and the likes. Research colt reliability and why the acr, scar, remington ar platform, h&k, sig ect were developed for the military, and why colt actually ultimately won, and it was not because they were the best!

colt m4 variants mil spec constantly have had problems up through 2009. you can read the military test reports online. because colt continually malfunctioned in the field and during actual combat use, military wanted to replace it. Just because it says colt on the name does not mean it is any better than all the others. True, sometimes you get what you pay for, but even with the pricey colts, which i carried briefly and "use to own", they all at some point will fail!

Getting a colt or lmt, stag, ect is alot like buying a car. You can buy a bmw and you pay for it, but truth be told, is it more reliable than its competitors? Delton, dpms, whichever, get a mil spec and change the trigger and it is just as good and reliable than the more pricey ones. Someone mentioned the m&p 15 sport. It is a mil spec barrel, with the omision of dust cover, which was added years after armalite introduced the ar platform but people think you have to have, and the forward assist, again, as shown with the sport m&p has been shown unnecessary as you can just use your finger and have a reduced risk of a double fed forced in the assist rendering the rifle useless. It has the same barrel as the more expensive variants, m4, with 1/8 5r twist which is normally only found in higher end long range/sniper type systems, and so far has proven just as reliable, yet is cheaper than even the del-ton and dpms... go figure.. price has nothing to do with reliability. My fnp usg 9 is just as reliable as my glock. My mini-14 has only had 1 malfunction in 14 years, but my colt LE or my m-16 a2 i carried both constantly had problems.

Dont fall into the myth that expensive is better. It has been proven time and again to be a myth. same spec rifles from all companies using same rate of twist, same bolt carrier style, same spec everything can have 1k dollar price difference to get the exact same results. And unless you are going to war with this particular rifle, any "cheap" rifle will work for sport or even home defense. Personally i will never pay for another colt as you are only paying for a name. I know there are the ones out there that will argue til they are blue in the face that just dont want to hear the truth because they own something better than stated, but truth be told, put a decent barrell on a cheap del-ton and decent scope, trigger, still being cheaper than lmt and colt, and will run and shoot just as tight just as far.

This is the same as arguing glock, xd,m&p, ect. I own all 3, an would take my fnp over all for reliability and accuracy, and it again was the cheapest! have had glock jam with buffalo bore ammo in 3 different mags, m&p 1 failure to extract, ex, i just dont like and am getting rid of, but the fn has been 100% relliable thus far with 2k rounds through it.

now tha i am done ranting, if you want to spend your money on a good ar, save and get a barrett ar, yes, i said a barrett, same price as colt, at around 1500 base price if you can find it! they make a reliable 50 cal with no complaints, seems to me they would make a great ar also!

Last edited by NOVA; 01-09-2012 at 05:04 AM.

Old 01-09-2012, 05:06 AM   #63

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 12

BTW, I own a Del Ton. Shoots fine!

Old 01-09-2012, 05:12 AM   #64

Liked 62 Times on 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguy216
This thread is a few years old. That being said, at the time this thread was started everyone was praising the all mighty colt and the likes. Research colt reliability and why the acr, scar, remington ar platform, h&k, sig ect were developed for the military, and why colt actually ultimately won, and it was not because they were the best! colt m4 variants mil spec constantly have had problems up through 2009. you can read the military test reports online. because colt continually malfunctioned in the field and during actual combat use, military wanted to replace it. Just because it says colt on the name does not mean it is any better than all the others. True, sometimes you get what you pay for, but even with the pricey colts, which i carried briefly and "use to own", they all at some point will fail! Getting a colt or lmt, stag, ect is alot like buying a car. You can buy a bmw and you pay for it, but truth be told, is it more reliable than its competitors? Delton, dpms, whichever, get a mil spec and change the trigger and it is just as good and reliable than the more pricey ones. Someone mentioned the m&p 15 sport. It is a mil spec barrel, with the omision of dust cover, which was added years after armalite introduced the ar platform but people think you have to have, and the forward assist, again, as shown with the sport m&p has been shown unnecessary as you can just use your finger and have a reduced risk of a double fed forced in the assist rendering the rifle useless. It has the same barrel as the more expensive variants, m4, with 1/8 5r twist which is normally only found in higher end long range/sniper type systems, and so far has proven just as reliable, yet is cheaper than even the del-ton and dpms... go figure.. price has nothing to do with reliability. My fnp usg 9 is just as reliable as my glock. My mini-14 has only had 1 malfunction in 14 years, but my colt LE or my m-16 a2 i carried both constantly had problems. Dont fall into the myth that expensive is better. It has been proven time and again to be a myth. same spec rifles from all companies using same rate of twist, same bolt carrier style, same spec everything can have 1k dollar price difference to get the exact same results. And unless you are going to war with this particular rifle, any "cheap" rifle will work for sport or even home defense. Personally i will never pay for another colt as you are only paying for a name. I know there are the ones out there that will argue til they are blue in the face that just dont want to hear the truth because they own something better than stated, but truth be told, put a decent barrell on a cheap del-ton and decent scope, trigger, still being cheaper than lmt and colt, and will run and shoot just as tight just as far. This is the same as arguing glock, xd,m&p, ect. I own all 3, an would take my fnp over all for reliability and accuracy, and it again was the cheapest! have had glock jam with buffalo bore ammo in 3 different mags, m&p 1 failure to extract, ex, i just dont like and am getting rid of, but the fn has been 100% relliable thus far with 2k rounds through it. now tha i am done ranting, if you want to spend your money on a good ar, save and get a barrett ar, yes, i said a barrett, same price as colt, at around 1500 base price if you can find it! they make a reliable 50 cal with no complaints, seems to me they would make a great ar also!
No offense....but just so I understand....after all that "rant" (your words), you are recommending the $1500 dollar rifle?

Old 01-09-2012, 06:02 AM   #65

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguy216 View Post
Everyone knows the BCG and barrel are the heart and sole of the AR. We all know the receivers are basically equal minus the out of spec garbage. Where the problem begins is when these low quality, corner cutting, get it out the door manufacturers try to pass their ARs off as quality and some guy comes on a forum and rants how it's just as good or it's just a name.

Do you ever read any of the AARs from these multi day carbine courses? I'm guessing not or your attitude would be completely different.

Is it about taking my AR into combat, nope. It's about principle and not wanting to gamble w/ my money. Do you want to support a company that half asses their product or one that takes pride in what they produce?

I don't know where you are seeing Colts for $1500. I suggest you tell them to go to hell because Colts can be had all day long for under $1k. It's not about money spent it's about value. Sounds like you have a twister perception of what's important.

And just because a manufacturer makes a good "this" doesn't mean they'll make a good "that".

I probably missed something. That **** was hard to read.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 01-09-2012, 06:15 AM   #66

Liked 1069 Times on 752 Posts
Likes Given: 1073

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguy216 View Post
I suggest you rewrite this with more respect for you reader. NOVA gave you a clue. I for one am not going to slog through it in its current form.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 01-09-2012, 08:07 AM   #67

/agree I've never owned a colt outside of the army but I will testify that it never had a malfunction it's the operator in 99% of the cases it sounds like all your trying to say is there are other weapons as good as colt which is true but like cars as you said you get what you pay for and you gotta pay to play my friend

Old 01-09-2012, 02:34 PM   #68

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by paccerelli View Post
/agree I've never owned a colt outside of the army but I will testify that it never had a malfunction it's the operator in 99% of the cases it sounds like all your trying to say is there are other weapons as good as colt which is true but like cars as you said you get what you pay for and you gotta pay to play my friend
True, but not in every case. Often times the gap in price is so small it would be silly not to spend the little extra to take a big step up in quality.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 01-10-2012, 02:26 AM   #69

Wow This is his second post and allready making friends.

Old 01-10-2012, 04:40 AM   #70

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Here's a pic I just came across in a thread from a very reliable source. Another reason to purchase quality.

DPMS w/ an out of spec chamber (factory ammo):

-John Ruskin

Quote: