Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > DPMS AR or Del-Ton AR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2011, 03:45 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
Groups aren't always an indicator of how good a rifle is.
well - that depends on the purpose. Those of us who exclusively range shoot like the groups . We don't care how well it handles mud as we will not be throwing it in such.
Originally Posted by therewolf View Post
If the Mafia were bigger, IT would be the government.
Quote:
Originally Posted by freefall View Post
The reason illegal aliens are doing jobs Americans won't is that it pays too damn well to do nothing.

Old 08-06-2011, 10:34 PM   #32

Liked 971 Times on 682 Posts
Likes Given: 972

Quote:
Originally Posted by sublime42283 View Post
I was doing some more digging around and was looking at the specs of the major ar mfg's out there. Most of them are comparible in the manufacturing process and the material used; colt, rra, and even del-ton. The only difference I was seeing were what seemed to be the frequency of quality verification. DPMS was not listed and I could not find specs for them, but Del-ton only has some small non technical specs different from the big ar mfg's, the big one being the 1:9 barrel twist.
I've been debating whether to respond to this but there's too much leeway in "Most of them are comparible in the manufacturing process and the material used; colt, rra, and even del-ton."

There are huge differences in ARs and we all have our own opinions. Sure, they're designed to use interchangeable parts but there are differences in quality. You may have to learn a lot more than you wanted to but it's worth it - and you get a better rifle for the money. That's why so many of us build our own, we want control over the parts that go into our rifles. DPMS may do the job for 85% of casual buyers but I'll pass myself.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 08-06-2011, 10:38 PM   #33

IMO a skilled rifleman can take pretty much any rifle and put rounds on target. I watched a WWII sniper shoot with a replica of his springfield at 300 yds and shoot a group of about 1 MOA. He then picked up a .50 cal sniper rifle and with the assistance of an Army scout/sniper put a head shot at 1000yds with only three rounds fired through the big boy rifle. So goes to show that a true rifleman can shoot almost anything.

Old 08-06-2011, 10:44 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
... BCM, Noveske, KAC, Daniel Defense, Spikes and Colt. These definitely help make up the top ten rifles...
When researching parts it's wise to look at these manufacturers. No one is saying you HAVE to buy any particular brand but anyone worth their salt should be familiar with the extra care and extra quality that go into the best.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 08-06-2011, 10:49 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
I've been debating whether to respond to this but there's too much leeway in "Most of them are comparible in the manufacturing process and the material used; colt, rra, and even del-ton."

There are huge differences in ARs and we all have our own opinions. Sure, they're designed to use interchangeable parts but there are differences in quality. You may have to learn a lot more than you wanted to but it's worth it - and you get a better rifle for the money. That's why so many of us build our own, we want control over the parts that go into our rifles. DPMS may do the job for 85% of casual buyers but I'll pass myself.
I work in the manufacturing industry making sure measuring equipment used in the quality departments are measuring as accurately as possible. I see how precise almost every customer I go to measures to, including firearms manufacturers. They all are verifying accuracy of the parts down to at least .010 mm and .0001 inches that is why I say that the manufacturers are comparible in quality. Just to make a point in how much quality means nothing because a lot of companies use the same suppliers, a lot of people buy American cars cause they believe the foreign cars inferior to Made in USA, well I know for a fact that the majority of Chrysler, Ford, and GM suppliers are foreign companies and they supply the same quality to all the other manufacturers Nissan, Honda, Toyota. SH&^, the Toyoda family owns most of the car manufacturing industry...trust me if they are getting their uppers all the cerro or other reputable forges then there quality is going to be comparible.

Old 08-06-2011, 10:56 PM   #36

Most AR parts are machined to close enough tolerances to fit most other parts. But there still is a big difference in the quality of parts. If "parts is parts" everyone would just buy Vulcan for $500. You do tend to get what you paid for in ARs - and many other things.

______

Old 08-06-2011, 11:03 PM   #37

My company goes into a couple of the big named Rifle companies, which i will not say which ones, because of privacy laws, but the most common parts that fail in any piece of equipment is the small part, you know a spring or a pin, and these parts are being made in China and India cause it is cheaper that way. Just trust me on the quality issue. Everyone likes what they like, but when it comes to quality they are comparible.

Old 08-06-2011, 11:08 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by sublime42283 View Post
My company goes into a couple of the big named Rifle companies, which i will not say which ones, because of privacy laws, but the most common parts that fail in any piece of equipment is the small part, you know a spring or a pin, and these parts are being made in China and India cause it is cheaper that way. Just trust me on the quality issue. Everyone likes what they like, but when it comes to quality they are comparible.
Parts may be comparable but they're not the same. Let's make this simple, take the BCG from Vulcan, DPMS and Bushmaster then compare against BCM. They all charge roughly the same, say $115-135 but which one would you want in an AR that must be dependable?

______

Old 08-06-2011, 11:23 PM   #39

The least expensive cause the military has proven that the lowest bidder can still make a reliable part. For instance the new miltary rifles are made in india, but they are not blowing up in your face and the guys are putting them through the same crap as before. So why did they switch from colt if the price of quality is just that, price, cause the quality of a machine is nothing to do with price. A higher priced machine is due to the extra bells and whistles not quality. Oh and to show you what I mean, whats the difference between Ford Edge and a Lincoln MKT: Answer, absolutely nothing in quality of manufacturing and parts, but everything when it comes to extra crap to make your life easier or in weapon terms tacticool.

Old 08-06-2011, 11:35 PM   #40

Sublime, let's keep this on ARs and not widen the field with autos and other products.

So you would buy a Vulcan or Blackthorne or Hesse BCG and feel good using it in a defensive AR? If your life was on the line, you'd feel comfortable taking the lowest cost AR parts you could scrounge up?

Things to do, gotta go now...

______