DPMS AR or Del-Ton AR - Page 22
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > DPMS AR or Del-Ton AR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2012, 12:44 AM   #211
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1019 Times on 716 Posts
Likes Given: 1016

Wiebelhaus is correct - FUD stands for Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt. The acronym has been around a long time, I remember it from the 80s and it goes back even further. Some of the other interpretations sound good to me though!

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 06-01-2012, 01:29 PM   #212

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Comments such as you get what you pay for reminds me of those that wanted us to go with certain financial institutions even if they cost more they were better, well this was proven wrong many times over as these institutions went broke.

If you are buying a basic gun DPMS, Del-Ton, Anderson, Barnes are as good as any including Colt. Many DPMS rifles will shoot under a M.O.A. at 100 yds right out of the box. You have to decide if a higher priced gun is worth 1.5 to 2.0 times what might be considered a "cheaper" gun and I think most will not see a bit of difference. Now some cost more because of add-ons and these can also be added to most all the guns. We sell DPMS at our gun shop for $590 and have little to no problems with these guns. Would you rather have 2 DPMS guns or 1 Colt and I think most customers will go the 2 gun route. We also sell Del-Ton which are mfg here in NC and they too have a good marketing strategy and excellent customer service. Don't fall for the myth the more they cost the better they are because this is not true.

Old 06-01-2012, 01:58 PM   #213

Liked 62 Times on 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriot
Comments such as you get what you pay for reminds me of those that wanted us to go with certain financial institutions even if they cost more they were better, well this was proven wrong many times over as these institutions went broke.

If you are buying a basic gun DPMS, Del-Ton, Anderson, Barnes are as good as any including Colt. Many DPMS rifles will shoot under a M.O.A. at 100 yds right out of the box. You have to decide if a higher priced gun is worth 1.5 to 2.0 times what might be considered a "cheaper" gun and I think most will not see a bit of difference. Now some cost more because of add-ons and these can also be added to most all the guns. We sell DPMS at our gun shop for $590 and have little to no problems with these guns. Would you rather have 2 DPMS guns or 1 Colt and I think most customers will go the 2 gun route. We also sell Del-Ton which are mfg here in NC and they too have a good marketing strategy and excellent customer service. Don't fall for the myth the more they cost the better they are because this is not true.
Yeah, well, if you want to go the analogy route, I can take the parts for an engine, assemble them, and I PROMISE you it won't run as well or as long as if a professional mechanic did the work.

Old 06-01-2012, 02:35 PM   #214

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriot View Post

So in you profession opinion there is no difference bewteen a bare bones low end COLT and a similarly optioned DPMS or DTI?

I am a believer that DPMS, and DTI make quality rifles. Perfect for rang,e plinking use. A good buy for light moderate use as most consumers will do. But they do not have the adequate testing or quality control that other manufacturers do like BCM, Colt, LMT, KAC, Noveske or LaRue.

I do concede that in your personal opinion you may believe that the price premium of a $900 colt or bcm over a $600 DPMS isn't worth it. I cannot and will not argue that. But you saying that all ARs being the same is wrong.

Old 06-01-2012, 03:00 PM   #215

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I have been watching this with interest - and I am a bit surprised by some of the responses that - almost smack of elitism and that is fine if you dig that -

I have been deciding on a DPMS or Smith and I will probably go with the S&W just because I have used their products for a lot of years.

Battle rifle - Really - unless you are a contractor or soldier you are not likely to need a "battle rifle" and if it happens it is better to have a low end gun than nothing - and when SHTF - well any gun you carry into "battle" is a battle rifle.

I have experience carrying the military version Colt GAU 5a and I had to qualify with it 2 times a year - and that thing jammed and FTE and FTF too, and the USAF expected me to carry that into battle too - It was very possible I would have bullets flying at me with mean intentions, when I worked for the police my patrol gun car was a Ruger Mini 14 and I trusted that thing WAY more than I did the Colt GAU.

And if in fact you have to engage someone it will be close range and likely only 1 or 2 assailants - unless you are talking armed mobs or the military and if that happens - we are all in a world of hurt because the world has gone insane

Last edited by KHickam; 06-01-2012 at 10:45 PM.

Old 06-01-2012, 03:10 PM   #216

Liked 1019 Times on 716 Posts
Likes Given: 1016

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriot View Post

Why not fully spec out that $590 DTI you're touting? I'd like to see these parts fully described that are "as good as" a Colt, BCM, Daniel Defense and LMT. I'm from NC but quickly discounted DTI after seeing their LPK and commercial M4 stock kit a few years ago. Maybe they're better today? Maybe not? Common sense even tells you something is missing from your AR.

I'd say forget the big guys, show us how DTI is better than PSA, Spikes and Sionics.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 06-01-2012, 03:34 PM   #217

Liked 38 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 235

Default Fud?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
Wiebelhaus is correct - FUD stands for Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt. The acronym has been around a long time, I remember it from the 80s and it goes back even further. Some of the other interpretations sound good to me though!
I thought it was like Cat Fud or Dog Fud...

If it's not that, I was thinking Freaking Useless Data

Thanks for the clarification... I prefer to think of it as Cat Fud...

there was a Gary Larson cartoon where a Dog is setting a Cat trap , and he has a sign saying something like "Free Cat Fud"...

Freakin Dog couldn't spell! What do they TEACH THEM these days????

Old 06-01-2012, 09:52 PM   #218

Liked 62 Times on 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnolans

I thought it was like Cat Fud or Dog Fud...

If it's not that, I was thinking Freaking Useless Data

Thanks for the clarification... I prefer to think of it as Cat Fud...

there was a Gary Larson cartoon where a Dog is setting a Cat trap , and he has a sign saying something like "Free Cat Fud"...

Freakin Dog couldn't spell! What do they TEACH THEM these days????

Ha ha...this thread needed that.

Old 06-01-2012, 09:57 PM   #219
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

FYI, do NOT look up "Colt GAU" on the interwebs.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 06-01-2012, 11:35 PM   #220

Liked 40 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHickam View Post
I have been watching this with interest - and I am a bit surprised by some of the responses that - almost smack of elitism and that is fine if you dig that -

I have been deciding on a DPMS or Smith and I will probably go with the S&W just because I have used their products for a lot of years.

Battle rifle - Really - unless you are a contractor or soldier you are not likely to need a "battle rifle" and if it happens it is better to have a low end gun than nothing - and when SHTF - well any gun you carry into "battle" is a battle rifle.

I have experience carrying the military version Colt GAU 5a and I had to qualify with it 2 times a year - and that thing jammed and FTE and FTF too, and the USAF expected me to carry that into battle too - It was very possible I would have bullets flying at me with mean intentions, when I worked for the police my patrol gun car was a Ruger Mini 14 and I trusted that thing WAY more than I did the Colt GAU.

And if in fact you have to engage someone it will be close range and likely only 1 or 2 assailants - unless you are talking armed mobs or the military and if that happens - we are all in a world of hurt because the world has gone insane
Elitism? That's laughable. I love it when guys use elitism or any such insult to defend a low quality product.

I know a thing or 2 about military armorers. They generally suck in my experience. They are usually lazy and are simply regular soldiers pulled off the line. The only thing they like about being in the arms room is they don't have to go out into the field.

2nd they don't have a lot to work w/. Even highly deployed units don't get the weapons rotation they need. They get stuck w/ worn out POS in need of retirement. To use an issued weapon as proof that they suck is BS. Blame the armorer and your chain of command.