DPMS AR or Del-Ton AR - Page 20
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > DPMS AR or Del-Ton AR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2012, 01:50 AM   #191
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1069 Times on 752 Posts
Likes Given: 1073

Quote:
Originally Posted by connectegr View Post
... In my brief participation on this forum, it is obvious that the primary participants are not very subjective or have extreme bias. As many of these "experts" have posted, show me the facts. If there are flaws in the DTI, I would like to know them. Not a BCM commercial.
BTW, I forgot to mention this earlier, you might want to look up the meaning of subjective. IMO you see a lot of IMOs here!

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 05-30-2012, 02:12 AM   #192
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5986 Times on 3131 Posts
Likes Given: 427

Quote:
Originally Posted by connectegr View Post

In my brief participation on this forum, it is obvious that the primary participants are not very subjective or have extreme bias. As many of these "experts" have posted, show me the facts. If there are flaws in the DTI, I would like to know them. Not a BCM commercial.
wife and i have a few ar15. dpms panther m4, colt sp1, colt m16 (if the feds ever finish the approval*sigh*), RRA 458socom, RRA national match, BCM midlength bhf lightweight. ive used colt M16A2 i my years in the army. i would take the bcm to war no doubt. put the dpms and bcm side by side the difference is astounding.

has the dpms ever jammed or failed?? no , but we dont run it hard. its the wife's main gun she doesnt shoot a lot. although there is little left in that panther the way it came from the factory. everything is properly torqued and staked.

there are a lot of cheaper ar15 that run fine when not run hard over long durations. does everyone need a gun like a colt or bcm?? no. thats why delton dpms smith rra psa are all very good sellers. they have a place and a role to fill.

just dont expect cutting edge performance or be disapointed when one is pushed past its limits. while some samples can perform at higher levels its not the norm.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 05-30-2012, 03:03 AM   #193

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

This has been an exhausting 20 pages...

Old 05-30-2012, 03:19 AM   #194

Liked 40 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by e43jimmy409 View Post
This has been an exhausting 20 pages...
It didn't have to be this way. All the information has been out for years some just refuse to acknowledge it and perpetuate the BS. The biggest reason to figure out who pretends to know and who actually knows.

Old 05-30-2012, 03:44 AM   #195

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Which can be hard to pick out amongst all the arguing and senseless fillers that have been added. I am brand new to this world. I know nothing other than what i have read in the past few weeks.

I was looking at deltons. had a friend that ran thru a carbine course and said the delton stood out in it. Others here hate it.

I can see points on both sides. Some of the chat on here does sound like commercials for some of the brands. Like I said hard to pick out with all the bickering.

Im looking for a gun that I can kill paper targets and plywood in my buddies pasture. I am liking the PSA uppers. Seem to have a lot of good features in my nubile views. For lowers im looking a a spikes. I dont know if stripped lowers are any better than the next but i like the roll mark. If there is a difference please id like to know.

I came to this forum becasue it wasnt supposed to be like this, at least i thought. I thought the premises of this forum was an unbiased/open minded. No commercials. I just wanna know about AR's and learn about what im getting into.

Old 05-30-2012, 03:57 AM   #196
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5986 Times on 3131 Posts
Likes Given: 427

Quote:
Which can be hard to pick out amongst all the arguing and senseless fillers that have been added. I am brand new to this world. I know nothing other than what i have read in the past few weeks.

I was looking at deltons. had a friend that ran thru a carbine course and said the delton stood out in it. Others here hate it.

I can see points on both sides. Some of the chat on here does sound like commercials for some of the brands. Like I said hard to pick out with all the bickering.

Im looking for a gun that I can kill paper targets and plywood in my buddies pasture. I am liking the PSA uppers. Seem to have a lot of good features in my nubile views. For lowers im looking a a spikes. I dont know if stripped lowers are any better than the next but i like the roll mark. If there is a difference please id like to know.

I came to this forum becasue it wasnt supposed to be like this, at least i thought. I thought the premises of this forum was an unbiased/open minded. No commercials. I just wanna know about AR's and learn about what im getting into.
Like most things there are degrees of good. Delton sw psa dpms will function just fine killing cardboard in a pasture.

Thing is if you decide to later upgrade you will end up spending more than saving an extra 200$ and getting the colt rra or bcm in the first place.

Conversly if you decide crap this sucks i want a different rifle you will get a lot closer to your initial cost with rra colt bcm than dpms delton sw...

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 05-30-2012, 04:37 AM   #197

Liked 40 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:

JonM makes good points.

As for the back and forth, I feel the same way as you. It is difficult sometimes to tell the difference. I'll help you out. Quentin, Agent Tikki, and JonM are the first thre that come to mind.

As for the commercial comment. There are more over priced POS manufacturers/assemblers out there than good. When a company comes along that throws its product in the fire knowing itll come out on top people like to sing it's praise. Most of the others avoid all such things. I contacted DPMS and they wouldn't do anything but dance. I call it the 3 D's; duck, dodge, and dive.

Old 05-30-2012, 05:15 AM   #198

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragunovsks
I'm currently saving money to buy an AR, even got the wife helping me. I'm eyeballing a DPMS Panther in 5.56mm, it has a 6-pos. adjustable stock, short M-4 barrel with carry handle. The guy at the gun store told me I should spend a little less and get a Del-Ton AR with a flat-top upper. DPMS=$750, Del-Ton=$699. I'm not big into scopes, I like shooting using iron sights and if I get the Del-Ton, I'll just have to buy a rear sight. Give me some opinions on which you guys would buy. Myself, I'm still leaning towards the DPMS, cause I've heard a lot of good things about them and I've never heard of Del-Ton
My wife and I each bought DPMS ARs but ours were just under $600 each. They were pretty much bare other than picatinny on the top and at the base of the barrel. Here's what I've done to mine so far.

Old 05-30-2012, 05:17 AM   #199

Liked 1069 Times on 752 Posts
Likes Given: 1073

Quote:

Keep reading and learning and you'll be fine. We all went through a learning process and came to certain conclusions, right or wrong. One big tip, look at the stickys above.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 05-30-2012, 04:18 PM   #200

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts

Here is a plate I killed at 100 yds DPMS panther. 55 grain I put a cheap Barsca scope on it . I'm not the best shot so I was pleased. As far as reliability I have put about 200 rds with no FTF or FTF. Not amcommercial for DPMS. Just my recent experience with my new AR

image-111619598.jpg