DPMS AR or Del-Ton AR - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > DPMS AR or Del-Ton AR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2009, 02:53 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

D.P.M.S is not a low quality product! The Philippines army and marines use D.P.M.S ARs as their main sniper weapons in their on going war against Communist and Islamic insurgencies. Those are very tough jungle conditions that they are fighting in and the D.P.M.S has been very reliable and successful.

Old 03-06-2009, 07:54 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowryde45 View Post
WIth either of those 2 brands, you would be doing okay. Contrary to what some think, neither of those 2 are "low quality". I own a few DPMS AR's and have never had any issue with any of them, that I didn't cause myself. By that I mean using a bad mag in them, or faulty cleaning job - things that would have made even my most expensive AR hiccup. One of them is setup with a 20" 1:8 target barrel and will consistently shoot less than 1moa with decent ammo. As for Del-Ton, I've purchased lowers and uppers, barrel kits and assemblies from them and have had ZERO issues with anything from them as well. Good folks to deal with and fair. And you'll save a few pennies, too

Slo
Hey, Slo I got a question: Are Del-Ton's made well enough to where if you were in a situation where your life was on the line, that one of their ARs could get you out of it safely?

Old 03-06-2009, 01:44 PM   #13

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoHandRevy View Post
Hey, Slo I got a question: Are Del-Ton's made well enough to where if you were in a situation where your life was on the line, that one of their ARs could get you out of it safely?
IF...you put it together CORRECTLY, paid attention to the simple things, as well as the details during assembly, cleaned and lubed, are using good magazines, ammo that you have tried in that particular gun with no issues....IF you did all that....then in a word......YES.

Now if you are talking about a pre-assembled piece, I don't have anything in my safe or anywhere else that I haven't taken apart. So I know that assembly wise, if anything did hiccup, it was my own undoing. Part quality wise, I haven't seen anything in any of their upper assemblies, or complete kits that I would have any issue using. Maybe if you were to break out the calipers or micrometers and compare side by side with LMT, Colt, or Sabre Defense, you might find a part that may or may not match up with them perfectly. But I've never found anything from them..yet..that I would not use. For my .02, they are gtg.

Slo

Old 03-06-2009, 06:23 PM   #14

Default Del-ton vs DPMS

I have read up on both of these companies and have heard positive things on both ends. I was going to gow with del-ton because of the price and good reviews from the articles i have read. But ther is such a long wait for the kits and recievers on both of those sites i figured i'd star from scratch and build my own.
I think i will get the lower parts kit from del-ton @ $55 vs the 70-78 on other sites and just replace the triger with a two stage.

by no means am i an expert. i'm new to it. some i'm bound to make some mistakes or poor choices do to feeling out personal preferences but thats how you learn what you like and what you dont like.

My two cents.

Old 03-09-2009, 03:25 AM   #15

Default Del-ton good to go

Hey, I can understand the concern about the make. But really the 750.00 M-4 DEL-TON id as good as any Colt or Bushmaster I have fired. I just bought one and have fired about 500 rounds through it so far and not one issue. It is tight and well put together. Set it beside the M-4 Colt and you can't tell them apart. Manufacturing and equipment the makers have are all the same the best M-16 I had in the service was built by GM so does it really matter who built it? I don't think so. If GM can build one that holds up to dirt and sand the Del-Ton should be fine. Just my opinion. Now Lock and Load! US Army Combat Engineers 1983-1992.

Old 08-02-2011, 04:46 AM   #16

Default Del-ton

I have a Del-ton AR M-4 style 16" upper and have put hundreds of rounds down range with no issues. I have not been to the range in a couple of months, and keep my AR in the basement, and not a spot of rust on rifle, even with the smallest amount of lubrication. Pretty good if you ask me. The Colt we had in the Corps would rust after a week or less, so when it comes to quality, it is relative and if you want microns of accuracy, go with the high priced AR's, but in military terms my Del-ton is way beyond good enough for government work.

Old 08-02-2011, 04:54 AM   #17

Liked 1000 Times on 703 Posts
Likes Given: 1001

Do you really believe your Del-Ton will stand up to more abuse than your Colt got in the Corps? Big difference between stored in the basement and being beat to crap out in the field. Sounds like you're comparing apples to oranges.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 08-02-2011, 12:41 PM   #18

Liked 39 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Glasshartt's patrol rifle is a DelTon and she has used it for almost two years without a problem. Fit, finish and quality is very good to excellent in my opinion and I would not hesitate to trust my or my wife's life to our DelTons.

Scubie

dog2000tj Likes This 
Old 08-02-2011, 02:00 PM   #19

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I laughed a little when I read post #16. The comparison is ridiculous at best.

A little something I was told once, "Time of ownership in no way provides a good description of a rifles quality/durability." I guess its on of those things like keeping a vehicle garaged and never driving it then claiming it last longer w/ fewer malfunctions than a car driven hard everyday.

I just don't see spending the money on a rifle w/ a questionable history when you could have a rifle w/ an outstanding track record in the same price range.

Old 08-05-2011, 03:34 PM   #20

I did a bit of research and Cerro Forge, which makes the Colt uppers, also makes the Det-ton uppers. You know the Key hole or Birds head, same forge as a square. I do think the metalic make up is just a bit different, but still good quality.