Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > DPMS AR or Del-Ton AR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2012, 03:15 PM   #181
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 40 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriot View Post
I work on and sell AR15's. I find DPMS to be one of the best buys, Del-Ton is OK also. Stag, DPMS, Remington, SW, etc., are all the same. You can interchange parts between the brands telling me they use the same components. I have sold 100's of DPMS R-15's and have had no complaints, people just love these guns.
We sell DPMS Oracles (flat top, no sights) for $590 brand new and frequently sell out. If you are going into competition consider having the gun worked on, if you are going to get it for hunting, shooting or just plain fun, DPMS is the way to go.
We have a full auto DPMS and it has shot over 1,000 rounds with only 3 failures all due to mag problems.
This is awesome. Couldnt have asked for a better way to start my day. I damn near laughed myself out of the recliner.

Old 05-29-2012, 03:28 PM   #182

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriot View Post
I work on and sell AR15's. I find DPMS to be one of the best buys, Del-Ton is OK also. Stag, DPMS, Remington, SW, etc., are all the same. You can interchange parts between the brands telling me they use the same components. I have sold 100's of DPMS R-15's and have had no complaints, people just love these guns.
We sell DPMS Oracles (flat top, no sights) for $590 brand new and frequently sell out. If you are going into competition consider having the gun worked on, if you are going to get it for hunting, shooting or just plain fun, DPMS is the way to go.
We have a full auto DPMS and it has shot over 1,000 rounds with only 3 failures all due to mag problems.
In your professional opinion then, what would you say are the differences between a BCM 16" carbine and a DPMS 16" carbine both with oval handguards and a fixed front sight post?

Old 05-29-2012, 04:42 PM   #183

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

As I have mentioned, my Del-ton purchase was researched in hindsight. I have read nearly every forum post or review article I can find. The overwhelming feedback is positive. My personal experience with my DTI is far beyond my expectation. In my previous career, I worked with superior CQ rifles and long range rifles from HK ($4000-$20k). I fired thousands of rounds and would place these above any AR platform. But, that does not negate that my DTI appears to be an outstanding tool. And it appears that it will perform well beyond any threat level my current lifestyle will create. Similarly I would choose my Sig P229 ($1000 and ++15000 rounds) over my Wilson Combat 1911 ($2900 and +1000 rounds). They are both exceptional tools. In my limited experience, a poor quality weapon can be a limitation to the user. But a skilled operator with any reliable weapon, will out perform any wannabe with a high dollar gun. I doubt anyone on this forum will dredge through a swamp or brave a sand storm at our climate controlled indoor range. For 99% the sport model of any AR will exceed their skill set. Skills are only improved by putting lead through paper or on steel. Unless you have ammo provided, your ammo budget should be 10 fold the money you spend on the tool.

As with my golf game... it is rarely the bow and arrow, but the indian that misses the target.

In my brief participation on this forum, it is obvious that the primary participants are not very subjective or have extreme bias. As many of these "experts" have posted, show me the facts. If there are flaws in the DTI, I would like to know them. Not a BCM commercial.

Old 05-29-2012, 05:39 PM   #184

Liked 972 Times on 683 Posts
Likes Given: 972

Buy what you want and I'll buy what I want, which will not be DPMS.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 05-29-2012, 07:13 PM   #185

SO....back to the op....which is better? DPMS or Delton (DTI)?

Old 05-29-2012, 07:29 PM   #186

Liked 40 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by connectegr View Post
As I have mentioned, my Del-ton purchase was researched in hindsight. I have read nearly every forum post or review article I can find. The overwhelming feedback is positive. My personal experience with my DTI is far beyond my expectation. In my previous career, I worked with superior CQ rifles and long range rifles from HK ($4000-$20k). I fired thousands of rounds and would place these above any AR platform. But, that does not negate that my DTI appears to be an outstanding tool. And it appears that it will perform well beyond any threat level my current lifestyle will create. Similarly I would choose my Sig P229 ($1000 and ++15000 rounds) over my Wilson Combat 1911 ($2900 and +1000 rounds). They are both exceptional tools. In my limited experience, a poor quality weapon can be a limitation to the user. But a skilled operator with any reliable weapon, will out perform any wannabe with a high dollar gun. I doubt anyone on this forum will dredge through a swamp or brave a sand storm at our climate controlled indoor range. For 99% the sport model of any AR will exceed their skill set. Skills are only improved by putting lead through paper or on steel. Unless you have ammo provided, your ammo budget should be 10 fold the money you spend on the tool.

As with my golf game... it is rarely the bow and arrow, but the indian that misses the target.

In my brief participation on this forum, it is obvious that the primary participants are not very subjective or have extreme bias. As many of these "experts" have posted, show me the facts. If there are flaws in the DTI, I would like to know them. Not a BCM commercial.
BCM is a well respected company for a reason. DelTon could do all the things BCM is doing. When a company offers up their product time and again to be used by some of the most highly respected instructors and their students for reticule that shows confidence in their product. Rogers has multiple BCMs in his stable w/ round counts ranging from 20k to 50k w/ no cleaning. Travis Haley reports his BCM has 30k through it and still holds 1 MOA. Why doesn't DelTon do this?

It's not about bias, it's about what works. The facts are there. BCMs is open w/ their policies and subjects themselves to countless opportunities to fail. However they do not. Reason? They produce a great product worthy of a following. People are naturally drawn to quality. It's nice to see such a great company receive the well deserved recognition.

I'm happy you've had a good experience w/ your DelTon.

Old 05-29-2012, 09:25 PM   #187

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 14

I've been very happy with my DPMS AP-4 in the 4 years I've had it not one problem of any kind. It's got maybe 5k rounds thru it and loves the Russian steel case ammo, so if it works it works be happy and learn then move up to a higher tier AR. Best tip for a DI AR-15 keep it WET.

PS, it runs and shoots better than my Century built AK-74, KEYHOLING

Old 05-29-2012, 11:11 PM   #188

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalash1138 View Post
I've been very happy with my DPMS AP-4 in the 4 years I've had it not one problem of any kind. It's got maybe 5k rounds thru it and loves the Russian steel case ammo, so if it works it works be happy and learn then move up to a higher tier AR. Best tip for a DI AR-15 keep it WET.

PS, it runs and shoots better than my Century built AK-74, KEYHOLING
wait.....your DPMS is keyholing?

Old 05-29-2012, 11:52 PM   #189

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentTikki View Post
wait.....your DPMS is keyholing?
No the AK-74 built by the monkeys at Century is. 2nd one, maybe 3rd time is the charm.

Old 05-30-2012, 12:34 AM   #190

Liked 268 Times on 167 Posts
Likes Given: 1032

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragunovsks View Post
I'm currently saving money to buy an AR, even got the wife helping me. I'm eyeballing a DPMS Panther in 5.56mm, it has a 6-pos. adjustable stock, short M-4 barrel with carry handle. The guy at the gun store told me I should spend a little less and get a Del-Ton AR with a flat-top upper. DPMS=$750, Del-Ton=$699. I'm not big into scopes, I like shooting using iron sights and if I get the Del-Ton, I'll just have to buy a rear sight. Give me some opinions on which you guys would buy. Myself, I'm still leaning towards the DPMS, cause I've heard a lot of good things about them and I've never heard of Del-Ton
My buddy has one of the DPMS Panther's and it's awesome.

The police cannot protect the citizen at this stage of our development, and they cannot even protect themselves in many cases. It is up to the private citizen to protect himself and his family, and this is not only acceptable, but mandatory. - Col. Jeff Cooper.