Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > DPMS AR or Del-Ton AR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2012, 12:02 AM   #171
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Entering isn't quite there is it?
M&P Sports barrels are not chorme lined
Missing?
Forward assist, dust cover, with enough saved to buy a cheaper optic to go with your cheaper AR, lol..

Ain't enough difference to argue about, this thread has been on the funny paper side (FAR SIDE?) for pages now.

Old 03-07-2012, 12:34 AM   #172

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pike
Missing?
Forward assist, dust cover, with enough saved to buy a cheaper optic to go with your cheaper AR, lol..

Ain't enough difference to argue about, this thread has been on the funny paper side (FAR SIDE?) for pages now.
Agreed, anyone who would attach the word Quality to DPMS is a joker and belongs in your local comedy club.

A $570 DPMS isn't even the same quality of their higher dollar rifles. That scares me because their higher dollar rifles are lower quality than many in the same price range.

I would take a S&W Sport before a higher priced DPMS.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 03-07-2012, 12:34 AM   #173

Liked 926 Times on 652 Posts
Likes Given: 902

Quote:
Originally Posted by pike View Post
Missing?

Translation please, and don't say CMV is the same as Melonite. Look hard at the PSA.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 04-21-2012, 12:02 PM   #174

You can't beat the S&W M&P 15 for that, or any price range. I think they make about 15 different AR models.

Old 04-21-2012, 12:40 PM   #175

Liked 40 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Can you say "reserection".

The Sport is a good choice for those wanting to have an AR but not spend more than $600+/-. Beyond that the M&Ps quickly begin to loose their appeal IMO. When you get into the $750-$1k range there are so many more choices.

Old 04-24-2012, 02:38 PM   #176

Likes Given: 6

Hmmmmm...lots and lots of opinions about a AR. But then....is a AR better than an AK? Hahahahahh how about another 39 pages or so on that. When I was looking to get my AR, I lost my F/T job soon after starting to compare. So I had plenty of time to decide, ( still just have a couple p/t jobs but pays the bills, barely :-) and read and research, and read...drove me a little nuts really. I have been around guns since I was 12, now 54 and while not a gunsmith, have learned one or two things here or there. I ended up deciding on a Rock River Arms Ar. Could not afford one right away, so ended up buying the lower end first...then saving up for the upper. After about 8 mo's decided on the upper and bought when they had a sale and gave away free chromed BCG's. During that time spent many a late night reading about barrels, twist rate, etc, etc., ended up getting a stainless Wyhlde chamber 1/8 twist barrel. Cost a little more, not much, but a little. I had never heard of a Whylde but now I see them being recommended and some EXPERTS using them on their rifles. Seems to be a good choice in chambers and the 1/8 also. Since I am not jungle fighting, I thought the tighter tolerances and wee bit better accuracy of the stainless vs chrome lined would suit me just fine. I ended up spending about $850 altogether and $30 for shipping for the upper. NOW..today...they give you all kinds of goodies Chrome BCG, Flip up sights, better stock, FREE SHIPPING and a few other goodies for about $900 give or take a $100. Much more than what I got for my $850 + $30. But,.....I am happy and never lose a nights sleep on it. I still love to look at the high end HK416, Knights Armament, and such...but my little RRA will do EVERYTHING I want it to do. I am not going to war....at least...not that I know of :-) but I think it would do ok in a pinch! A friend just bought a Del-ton for $699 including some kind of Red Dot ( haven;t seen it yet ) and he is happy as a Pig in S---. He only recently got into shooting after going wth me a few times. He used an M14 back in boot back in the 60's and loved that. But...he is happy with his Del Ton, and I wouldn't want to spoil his fun. So.....my point is....you can drive yourself crazy making comparisons and listening too much to others, but in the end, we all know what we want...what we can afford.....so listen..research...but then make your own choice and be happy with it. There is ALWAYS something better. In one thread here a guys says he does not need a Porsche...I don't either...but would LOVE to have one :-). Maybe one day......but then....I better save up for those tickets and higher insurance because I can gurantee I will need those also!!! Just some thoughts....:-)

Old 04-25-2012, 08:37 PM   #177

Liked 926 Times on 652 Posts
Likes Given: 902

Paragraphs are nice.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 04-25-2012, 09:27 PM   #178
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

WOW! 2008 vintage thread on AR brand quality?

Dragunovsks, do you still have the AR you chose? How did it work out? It's only been about three and a half years; it should be broken in by now.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 04-26-2012, 10:17 AM   #179

Likes Given: 6

Paragraphs can be nice......:-) Especially when I ,...errrr... you spell correctly and not write them in the middle of the night during an insomniatic ( is that a word :-) period.

Old 05-29-2012, 01:17 PM   #180

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I work on and sell AR15's. I find DPMS to be one of the best buys, Del-Ton is OK also. Stag, DPMS, Remington, SW, etc., are all the same. You can interchange parts between the brands telling me they use the same components. I have sold 100's of DPMS R-15's and have had no complaints, people just love these guns.
We sell DPMS Oracles (flat top, no sights) for $590 brand new and frequently sell out. If you are going into competition consider having the gun worked on, if you are going to get it for hunting, shooting or just plain fun, DPMS is the way to go.
We have a full auto DPMS and it has shot over 1,000 rounds with only 3 failures all due to mag problems.