DPMS AR or Del-Ton AR - Page 16
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > DPMS AR or Del-Ton AR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2012, 06:27 PM   #151
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator45
Most expensive doesn't always mean the best.
Yeah but my point was that it gave me a piece of mind that my kid was safe. Yes safety seats are all made to the same safety standard. But I felt better about the more expensive one knowing (I did do some research) that it was made to a higher standard than the state/government puts fourth. Do you think the cheaper one is made to a higher stranded than they have to?

Just like with some gun manufacturers.

High angle hell. Death and destruction from above.

Old 03-01-2012, 06:52 PM   #152

Liked 62 Times on 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator45
Most expensive doesn't always mean the best.
True, but it seldom if ever means the worst, either.

Old 03-01-2012, 09:06 PM   #153

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfraga1978

Yeah but my point was that it gave me a piece of mind that my kid was safe. Yes safety seats are all made to the same safety standard. But I felt better about the more expensive one knowing (I did do some research) that it was made to a higher standard than the state/government puts fourth. Do you think the cheaper one is made to a higher stranded than they have to?

Just like with some gun manufacturers.
The car seat is the perfect comparison.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 03-01-2012, 10:01 PM   #154

Liked 1004 Times on 705 Posts
Likes Given: 1004

I also think the child's car seat was a great comparison. Also the parachute.

There are times you're smart to pay a little more to get high quality. We all are free to decide where that may be. Myself, I tend to aim a little higher when it comes to guns, electronics, tools, household repairs, etc. And I put in plenty of research before I buy. If that makes me a snob, well I don't mind the people I'm hanging out with.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 03-02-2012, 01:18 PM   #155

Liked 38 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 235

When I first get into something, I usually buy the least expensive to 1. see if I like it, 2. learn what are the features I will see value in.

My first snowboard and boots were the best inexpensive ones I could find. At the end of the 1st season, I knew what I liked and what to look for in my next upgrade.

Since I'm not expecting combat yet, the 1st ar15 I got was a ButchMaster ( ) C15. I like it. It's fun. But now I have a better idea , and want to build one from scratch. Well, not really scratch, but from upper and lower assemblies. Next I will probably start from scratch.

another analogy is guitars. I love Gibsons, and I love Fenders. Fenders are often much less expensive that a comparable Gibson. Unless you just HAVE TO OWN a real Les Paul or SG, the Fenders are well-made, they play good, they sound good and are excellent values for the money.

So... for me... I'm just trying to find the equivalent to a Fender in an AR15. I'm in no hurry, because I have the C15 and a Mini-14 and they are both fun to shoot.

just my $1.00 worth (inflation, you know).

ps. when my son was a baby, we also bought the best car-seat we could afford and still have some grocery money. Actually , I'm sure my parents helped out!

Pat

Old 03-02-2012, 01:23 PM   #156

Liked 38 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 235

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfraga1978 View Post
. Better quality is not a bad choice when it comes to protecting those that you love.
Yes! exactly.

Last edited by pnolans; 03-02-2012 at 01:23 PM. Reason: t

Old 03-02-2012, 01:52 PM   #157

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I like to purchase quality at first. It is a better example than the low quaity sample and will have better resale value if I decide it's not for me. If my first experience w/ the M4/AR15 platform was something like a BM Carbon or a DPMS I probably wouldn't own an AR at this time.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 03-03-2012, 11:12 AM   #158

Liked 113 Times on 84 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat

The car seat is the perfect comparison.
Unless the really great car seat is put in a car with bad brakes and a crappy driver.

Old 03-03-2012, 12:27 PM   #159

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudpupp

Unless the really great car seat is put in a car with bad brakes and a crappy driver.
How about an AR with an out of spec barrel, receivers, chamber, and horrible trigger?

-John Ruskin

Quote:

Old 03-03-2012, 12:38 PM   #160

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Don't forget the idea of having a good gunsmith putting together an awesome ar for you. Not one brand makes all the best parts. With some a good smith and a lot of online deal shopping for the features you want, you can have your dream ar without breaking the bank.