DPMS AR or Del-Ton AR - Page 16
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > DPMS AR or Del-Ton AR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2012, 06:27 PM   #151
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator45
Most expensive doesn't always mean the best.
Yeah but my point was that it gave me a piece of mind that my kid was safe. Yes safety seats are all made to the same safety standard. But I felt better about the more expensive one knowing (I did do some research) that it was made to a higher standard than the state/government puts fourth. Do you think the cheaper one is made to a higher stranded than they have to?

Just like with some gun manufacturers.

Old 03-01-2012, 06:52 PM   #152

Liked 62 Times on 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator45
Most expensive doesn't always mean the best.
True, but it seldom if ever means the worst, either.

Old 03-01-2012, 09:06 PM   #153

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfraga1978

Yeah but my point was that it gave me a piece of mind that my kid was safe. Yes safety seats are all made to the same safety standard. But I felt better about the more expensive one knowing (I did do some research) that it was made to a higher standard than the state/government puts fourth. Do you think the cheaper one is made to a higher stranded than they have to?

Just like with some gun manufacturers.
The car seat is the perfect comparison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 03-01-2012, 10:01 PM   #154
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1158 Times on 813 Posts
Likes Given: 1180

I also think the child's car seat was a great comparison. Also the parachute.

There are times you're smart to pay a little more to get high quality. We all are free to decide where that may be. Myself, I tend to aim a little higher when it comes to guns, electronics, tools, household repairs, etc. And I put in plenty of research before I buy. If that makes me a snob, well I don't mind the people I'm hanging out with.
US Army 1966-69, VFW Life Member, Retired Geek

Old 03-02-2012, 01:18 PM   #155

Liked 38 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 236

When I first get into something, I usually buy the least expensive to 1. see if I like it, 2. learn what are the features I will see value in.

My first snowboard and boots were the best inexpensive ones I could find. At the end of the 1st season, I knew what I liked and what to look for in my next upgrade.

Since I'm not expecting combat yet, the 1st ar15 I got was a ButchMaster ( ) C15. I like it. It's fun. But now I have a better idea , and want to build one from scratch. Well, not really scratch, but from upper and lower assemblies. Next I will probably start from scratch.

another analogy is guitars. I love Gibsons, and I love Fenders. Fenders are often much less expensive that a comparable Gibson. Unless you just HAVE TO OWN a real Les Paul or SG, the Fenders are well-made, they play good, they sound good and are excellent values for the money.

So... for me... I'm just trying to find the equivalent to a Fender in an AR15. I'm in no hurry, because I have the C15 and a Mini-14 and they are both fun to shoot.

just my $1.00 worth (inflation, you know).

ps. when my son was a baby, we also bought the best car-seat we could afford and still have some grocery money. Actually , I'm sure my parents helped out!

Pat

Old 03-02-2012, 01:23 PM   #156

Liked 38 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 236

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfraga1978 View Post
. Better quality is not a bad choice when it comes to protecting those that you love.
Yes! exactly.

Last edited by pnolans; 03-02-2012 at 01:23 PM. Reason: t

Old 03-02-2012, 01:52 PM   #157

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I like to purchase quality at first. It is a better example than the low quaity sample and will have better resale value if I decide it's not for me. If my first experience w/ the M4/AR15 platform was something like a BM Carbon or a DPMS I probably wouldn't own an AR at this time.

Quote:
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 03-03-2012, 11:12 AM   #158

Liked 113 Times on 84 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat

The car seat is the perfect comparison.
Unless the really great car seat is put in a car with bad brakes and a crappy driver.

Old 03-03-2012, 12:27 PM   #159

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudpupp

Unless the really great car seat is put in a car with bad brakes and a crappy driver.
How about an AR with an out of spec barrel, receivers, chamber, and horrible trigger?

Quote:

Old 03-03-2012, 12:38 PM   #160

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Don't forget the idea of having a good gunsmith putting together an awesome ar for you. Not one brand makes all the best parts. With some a good smith and a lot of online deal shopping for the features you want, you can have your dream ar without breaking the bank.