DPMS AR or Del-Ton AR
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > DPMS AR or Del-Ton AR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2008, 09:36 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

Default DPMS AR or Del-Ton AR

I'm currently saving money to buy an AR, even got the wife helping me. I'm eyeballing a DPMS Panther in 5.56mm, it has a 6-pos. adjustable stock, short M-4 barrel with carry handle. The guy at the gun store told me I should spend a little less and get a Del-Ton AR with a flat-top upper. DPMS=$750, Del-Ton=$699. I'm not big into scopes, I like shooting using iron sights and if I get the Del-Ton, I'll just have to buy a rear sight. Give me some opinions on which you guys would buy. Myself, I'm still leaning towards the DPMS, cause I've heard a lot of good things about them and I've never heard of Del-Ton

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-03-2008, 09:47 PM   #2

Hello there!

If I were going out tomorrow morning, intent upon buying a new rifle, and wanted to spend less than $12-$1500 bucks on an AR platform, this is the rifle I would buy -

Stag Arms

What, by the way, is a Delton?

Last edited by G21.45; 06-03-2008 at 09:54 PM.

Old 06-03-2008, 09:47 PM   #3

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Do you have any interest in building your own? I am going to be doing a write up later this week and over the weekend most likely of how to build your own AR platform from a stripped upper and lower receiver. Might be able to save you some cash and you would have the satisfaction of doing it yourself.

Just food for thought if you are interested.

In any event, I have read that Del-Ton has a deal to sell DPMS rifles and that Del-Ton's prices on their own gear is cheaper because they are sim parts. I don't know this to be true or not, but that is word around some other forums.

I handled DPMS rifles at SHOT in Feb and they seem like a well put together piece of kit. They are proud of them, I can tell you that, but for parts I don't think they compare to say CMMG or someone like that.

I personally like the flat top receiver, then I can mount my heads up EoTech, which is like shooting through open sights, but I can see it in all light conditions, so take that for what it's worth.

JD

Old 06-03-2008, 09:59 PM   #4

Not a bad idea, Dillinger!

Then, the OP should do what 1/2 a dozen of the other, 'big name' AR companies do, and buy his component parts from Stag too.

Old 06-03-2008, 10:32 PM   #5

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 58

I agree with G, get a Stag. Off the shelf they offer the best bang for the buck. Just my $.02

SGT U.S. Army Special Operations Command, Ft. Bragg, NC (2002-2006)
Operation Iraqi Freedom Veteran (2004)

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin.

Old 06-09-2008, 07:05 PM   #6

you get what you pay for, and DPMS is cheap for a reason-low quality...haven't heard of Del-Ton...i was first thinking the same for my ar-"there are some that go for like $650 man!", but i was shown rifles that were bought for 650, and those that were bought for 1100, and saw the quality for myself.

i have a Stag...i would use their uppers at the least...and a timney trigger would be a great call, but at this point, the price is already close to $750...

you might want to save you $ and spend it on quality...it doesn't have to be the best of the best, but i'm sure that after building it, you'd want to keep it for a while, right?

Old 06-28-2008, 01:25 AM   #7

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

Actually I found a Century Arms AR, 20" barrel about a mile down the road at another gun store for $599 in Clarksville, Indiana. I'm the same guy Dellinger was chating with about AR's in another thread. I originally wanted a shorter rifle such as the DPMS Panther Lite 16" with 6-pos. adjustable stock cause it's easier exiting and entering my pick-up at the range with it. I've banged the barrel of my SKS into my door, door frame, roof pillar and whatever else alot. I decided on the 20" cause the price was too good to pass up. It would be more accurate anyways.

Old 06-28-2008, 02:44 AM   #8

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I`m fae from an expert on AR`s, but I have a Rock River and love it. Function and accuracy both far better than I expected.

Catfish
Ohio

Beardog Likes This 
Old 07-04-2008, 06:31 PM   #9

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Either....

WIth either of those 2 brands, you would be doing okay. Contrary to what some think, neither of those 2 are "low quality". I own a few DPMS AR's and have never had any issue with any of them, that I didn't cause myself. By that I mean using a bad mag in them, or faulty cleaning job - things that would have made even my most expensive AR hiccup. One of them is setup with a 20" 1:8 target barrel and will consistently shoot less than 1moa with decent ammo. As for Del-Ton, I've purchased lowers and uppers, barrel kits and assemblies from them and have had ZERO issues with anything from them as well. Good folks to deal with and fair. And you'll save a few pennies, too

Slo

Old 03-06-2009, 02:41 AM   #10

Liked 24 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinleif2 View Post
you get what you pay for, and DPMS is cheap for a reason-low quality...haven't heard of Del-Ton...i was first thinking the same for my ar-"there are some that go for like $650 man!", but i was shown rifles that were bought for 650, and those that were bought for 1100, and saw the quality for myself.

i have a Stag...i would use their uppers at the least...and a timney trigger would be a great call, but at this point, the price is already close to $750...

you might want to save you $ and spend it on quality...it doesn't have to be the best of the best, but i'm sure that after building it, you'd want to keep it for a while, right?
Don't want to start a debate here. I respectfully disagree that DPMS is a "low quality" rifle.

When compared to Colt or LMT, I agree that the DPMS (and Bushmaster) don't compare - specification wise. From that perspective, particularly when comparing the materials, and processes used in manufacturing the rifle(s) and components, one could fairly judge DPMS as being not as "serious" as a Colt. According to published data, Stag falls in the middle of the range when held in comparison to Colt and LMT, respectively.

My point here is that for civilian applications and sporting purposes, The DPMS products are just fine. My DPMS rifle is well made and operates flawlessly in the casual application for which it was purchased.

I respect the opinion that is held by some that the lower end AR's would be a liability in a combat / bet your life on your weapon application. IMHO, just because the DPMS products are a value, doesn't make them low quality. I have been in combat with the Colt rifle, and have seen many instances where they have failed.

Don't count DPMS out when making this decision. I love my rifle, it's a DPMS.