You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion >

DPMS AR-15s

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2012, 12:00 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 491 Times on 338 Posts

....yuck...

Old 09-24-2012, 01:07 PM   #32

Liked 369 Times on 290 Posts
Likes Given: 624

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
Receivers do break, usually they don't but they can. Here's Vulcan that definitely has a bad rap. Also sometimes the forging is fine but drilling is bad.

DPMS AR-15s - AR-15 Discussion

DPMS AR-15s - AR-15 Discussion
Q,
I noticed something on the broke lower, maybe you can explain to me. The hole for the auto sear: was that an AR15 or a Gov't M16? The reason I ask is that I have heard of this type of failure from a poorly done full auto conversion, and if that is the case, it may not be Vulcan's fault this time. I don't like Vulcan/Blackthorne/whatever any more than you do, but this may be the case this time.

Old 09-24-2012, 01:24 PM   #33

Liked 157 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 119

The weak link in an AR-15 receiver is where the photo shows. In the bolt it is where the cam pin is drilled. This is true regardless of who makes them. The best manufacturer on the planet cannot add stock to a weak area, and have it fit the weapon.

Old 09-24-2012, 01:34 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by billt View Post
The weak link in an AR-15 receiver is where the photo shows. In the bolt it is where the cam pin is drilled. This is true regardless of who makes them. The best manufacturer on the planet cannot add stock to a weak area, and have it fit the weapon.
I am still kinda beleiving the owner may have botched up a full auto conversion, and milled away too much material.

Old 09-24-2012, 01:46 PM   #35

Liked 157 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 119

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsted2a View Post
I am still kinda beleiving the owner may have botched up a full auto conversion, and milled away too much material.
If any gun is screwed with by an individual, then the manufacturer is automatically off the hook.

Old 09-24-2012, 02:00 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by billt View Post
If any gun is screwed with by an individual, then the manufacturer is automatically off the hook.
Yeah, I haven't heard of any Vulcan military rifles in any units. Special Ops (Seals, Green Berets, etc.) uses HK 416 or an LWRC variant. FN currently has the contract for regular military M16's. So the only other (legal) option is if they got a PD contract somewhere. The stamping is blurry on the pic, but if I had to take a guess, I would say the original stamp says SAFE and FIRE. It doesn't look like a polymer lower either.

Old 09-27-2012, 08:43 PM   #37

thanks very much to everyone for all the info. i still don't have an AR-15 in my collection yet and when and if i do get one i will most likely get a DPMS chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor.

Old 09-28-2012, 04:40 AM   #38
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1734 Times on 1138 Posts
Likes Given: 1709

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsted2a View Post
Yeah, I haven't heard of any Vulcan military rifles in any units. Special Ops (Seals, Green Berets, etc.) uses HK 416 or an LWRC variant. FN currently has the contract for regular military M16's. So the only other (legal) option is if they got a PD contract somewhere. The stamping is blurry on the pic, but if I had to take a guess, I would say the original stamp says SAFE and FIRE. It doesn't look like a polymer lower either.
Sorry, 2a, I don't know the story on either of the pictured lowers. Just that they broke. I agree they both look like alloy not polymer. I had not noticed the hole for the auto sear before. I may be wrong but think they are two different lowers. If so we don't know if the one with the auto sear hole is factory or not since we can't see the other side.
US Army 1966-69, VFW Life Member, Retired Geek

Last edited by Quentin; 09-28-2012 at 04:45 AM.

Old 09-28-2012, 12:49 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
Sorry, 2a, I don't know the story on either of the pictured lowers. Just that they broke. I agree they both look like alloy not polymer. I had not noticed the hole for the auto sear before. I may be wrong but think they are two different lowers. If so we don't know if the one with the auto sear hole is factory or not since we can't see the other side.
In that case, I am going to run with the theory that it was probably operator incompetence/abuse in a full auto conversion on at least one. Despite their website claim to the contrary, I can't see any government agency purchasing full auto guns from them with their track record, unless it was some Barney Fife type guy in a small hick town PD doing something underhanded to get one to play with at his dept.