Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > DPMS AR-15s

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2012, 05:14 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Mikejk,

Perhaps my use of proper English an grammar was misused.

Nowhere in the post did I recommend buying a DPMS. I simply stated a fact that the AR format is one that a person can easily change an add options at will. I did not endorse any product. Without being a braggart I can easily purchase whatever I desire without anyone's approval or permission.

I would like someone to respond to my question about seeing a receiver failure.

I hope this clears things up for you. Have a good day.

Old 05-08-2012, 05:50 PM   #22

Liked 733 Times on 544 Posts
Likes Given: 702

Receivers do break, usually they don't but they can. Here's Vulcan that definitely has a bad rap. Also sometimes the forging is fine but drilling is bad.

The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together.
You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 05-08-2012, 06:37 PM   #23

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quentin, thanks for the photos.

Manufacturing defects aside. I was wondering if anyone has seen a failure either in competition or in battle of a receiver. Under what some in this forum refer to as a run and gun situation.

That to me would be the answer to the quality question.

Thanks

Old 05-08-2012, 07:22 PM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4723 Times on 2696 Posts
Likes Given: 3752

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
I can not take the opinion of someone who would eat a Twinkie seriously.
I resemble that remark!

Old 05-08-2012, 07:51 PM   #25

Liked 47 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
I can not take the opinion of someone who would eat a Twinkie seriously.
As an American, I must, by constitutional decree, question the citizenship of anyone that refuses to demean a national treasure. Long after the zombies have run over this ball of dirt, survivors will be finding twinkies and celebrating. Now...ID please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by losack View Post
Mikejk,

Nowhere in the post did I recommend buying a DPMS. I simply stated a fact that the AR format is one that a person can easily change an add options at will. I did not endorse any product. Without being a braggart I can easily purchase whatever I desire without anyone's approval or permission.

All parts eventually wear out, as we all know. It's just some companies have higher failure rates than others, and, even though an Oly may be flawless for most people, there are always those that seem to get a POS for an AR from them, and go on a mad rant.
There's other manufacturers that suffer the same fate. And those that it is a rare occurrence with. Now...either they're building better rifles on average, or they have a room full of people who are computer geniuses that flitter from site to site scrubbing negative comments, or, they simply put out higher quality.

What part of 'shall not be infringed' confuses people?

Old 05-08-2012, 09:01 PM   #26
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 4518 Times on 2375 Posts
Likes Given: 259

Quote:
Quentin, thanks for the photos.

Manufacturing defects aside. I was wondering if anyone has seen a failure either in competition or in battle of a receiver. Under what some in this forum refer to as a run and gun situation.

That to me would be the answer to the quality question.

Thanks
ive seen lower receivers break when a couple of soldiers goofing around practicing buttstroking trees... Colt M16A2.

what happens more though is poor out of spec parts for the receiver or incorrectly drilled holes ovaling out pin holes from extended use with incorect parts. this happens a lot with lower end AR15 like dpms.

the issues happen when someone goes and replaces the stock parts with milspec and they may not quite fit right. those folks then get the idea when their out of spec reciever walks the pins out.

waaaallllaaaaa you get a products like kns anti-walk pins. a properly made lower with properly made pieces will function perfectly fine stock. however it takes a lot of rounds and i mean a LOT for any receiver to oval out the pin holes.

as for cracking or breaking thats just defect or defective material. any receiver even lower end ones like dpms just arent going to fail under normal civilian use

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 05-09-2012, 01:26 AM   #27

Liked 40 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Mikejk,

Proper use of the English language "an" grammar? You have to admit that is a little funny

Old 05-09-2012, 03:08 AM   #28

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Predictive spelling on the I-phone.

No hard feelings Mike! I can take the ribbing.

What's strange is here in America it's great that we can even have these kinds of debates and we really don't appreciate the basic freedoms we have in this country.

Praise God that we are so blessed to be from where we are, where we live, with what we have. I'm just glad that I can get in a vehicle, afford the gas, drive to numerous gun shops and purchase any different number of firearms. Then come home and enjoy unrestricted uncensored discussions about a variety of topics and enjoy the debate.

I still haven't heard of an actual melt down of an AR receiver during usage. Whether full auto or semi-auto. Does anyone know how many if any American foundries make AR receivers. Those are the ones we should all be buying!

I just bought a CMMG lower to build the price was decent and my LGS only had it and a S&W which had the exact same specs. In my search for just a lower parts kit midway was the only one that had anything in stock. So I went and bought a DPMS LPK.

I'll let you all know if it melts! Have a great evening people! Pray for our country and our service men abroad!

Old 05-09-2012, 03:26 AM   #29

Liked 40 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Non here either. You should be gtg.

Last edited by MikeJK; 05-09-2012 at 03:52 AM.

Old 09-23-2012, 11:45 PM   #30

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

ok so for a first time shooter like myself, im looking at getting a DPMS panther Arms AP4 carbine but really only plan to use it at the range maybe 3-4 times a month (if allowed by the wife). So the AP4 would be alright for me right or should i look more into my 2nd choice. I dont pan on doing any running and gunning unless the zombies come...lol