Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Dpms Ar-10 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/dpms-ar-10-a-10549/)

lightemup 02-03-2009 02:29 PM

Dpms Ar-10

Hey everyone...I'm new here and have a simple question. My experience has been with M-16s and ARs but I now have a new AR-10. I want to replace the standard A2 stock with a 6 position but not sure if it would require a heaftier 6 position stock than whats on the M4s. I'm pretty sure that the buffer spring is heavier on the AR-10s.

Dillinger 02-03-2009 03:02 PM

First, Welcome to the Forum. Glad to have you aboard.

Second, I moved this thread to the more apt AR-15 discussion forum as it fits a little better in over here. No harm done...

Now, as to your question - this is a gray area that comes up a lot, and quite frankly there are two sides of the equation.

Side A: Yes, you should have the large spring and buffer assembly because there is increased loading on said parts under recoil.

Side B: No, you can mix and match your buffer springs, as evidenced by some folks running 9mm recoil springs in their AR-15's.

Personally, I don't mess with what was designed in this case. The good folks who came up with the design, felt a larger spring and buffer was required. If they felt they could get away with out it, why wouldn't they have done so to save on production costs for the weapon?

My vote would be to order the correct size collapsible stock that you want, and it should come with an included spring and buffer.

JD

lightemup 02-03-2009 03:08 PM

Thanks for the info...I guess i was wondering if the ar10 buffer spring would fit and function in the M4 6po stock. I'd rather get one made FOR the ar10 but its hard to find them for under $150...

Dillinger 02-03-2009 03:12 PM

Well, that being the case, you could just get the measurements of your buffer tube and order one that has the same ID. Then you can give it a try and see for yourself. If the AR-15 one does the job, no harm immediately done.

But again, I personally would err on the side of going with the original engineering design for less wear and tear.

Really, when you think about it, all a lighter spring is going to do is allow more felt recoil and risk possible, and let me stress, POSSIBLE, damage to your BCG under faster than normal travel rates ( due to less spring tension ).

I am sure it will work and run, probably, just fine with a lighter spring. Some may even prefer it - but it's not for me personally....

JD

pantherBDC 07-07-2012 05:59 PM

I'm no expert--but I have both AR15 and AR 10--and unless your manufacturer expressly warrants the buffer group to be interchangeable--I definitely WOULD NOT use an AR 15 stock buffer group on a 308/7.62--my guess is that the risk would be way too great of getting out of battery, misfeed etc.

PHILatDCMFirearmsSC 07-07-2012 06:03 PM

as long as you have the correct buffer spring the tube and stock itself shouldnt make a big difference.the spring is what really matters in this case. the tube size is the same only the spring is heavier

MikeJK 07-07-2012 06:13 PM

02-03-2009. The OP only posted twice and never again.

AgentTikki 07-07-2012 06:50 PM

Rise of the Living Dead Thread