Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   DPMS A3 vs Sig M400 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/dpms-a3-vs-sig-m400-50989/)

Traumabrew 11-01-2011 04:10 PM

DPMS A3 vs Sig M400
 
I am going to purchase my first AR. Looking for a good rifle for target and HD. I have come to see that there is a plethora of makers and then there is the build your own. I will build my own, eventually. However, I want to get one with a warranty and get familiar with it before building one. Makes it easier.

I have seen S&W, Bushmaster, DPMS, RRA, Sig in stores and handled them. I do not like the bushmasters too much. I like the Sig M400 and I also like the DPMS Panther A3 16". The sig is about 200 more than the DPMS.

I am trying to keep it under 1000, plus optics. The guy at the store is trying to set me up with an Eotech holosight. Any input?

Thanks

BTW - I am not new to firearms, I have a H&K .45 for carry plus my hunting weapons.

MrWray 11-01-2011 06:15 PM

I like the sig better, never been a fan of dpms. IMO the sig is well worth the extra 200

bkt 11-01-2011 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Traumabrew (Post 616831)
I am going to purchase my first AR. Looking for a good rifle for target and HD.

An AR may not be the best option for HD unless your neighbors are pretty far away. Also, if there are others in the home, an AR may not be the best. Penetration through interior and exterior walls is the concern; a 12ga might be a better bet for HD.

If you live alone in the middle of nowhere, an AR is fine.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Traumabrew (Post 616831)
I have come to see that there is a plethora of makers and then there is the build your own. I will build my own, eventually. However, I want to get one with a warranty and get familiar with it before building one. Makes it easier.

You can do whatever you want, but my first AR was one I bought in pieces and put together. It was easy enough that I came away with the thought "if you can't drop a lpk into a lower, add a stock and buffer and attach a completed upper, you probably shouldn't be handling an AR in the first place." Seriously, it's not difficult at all. And building your own gives you some flexibility you might not otherwise have. AND it will probably save you money. Just something to think about.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Traumabrew (Post 616831)
I have seen S&W, Bushmaster, DPMS, RRA, Sig in stores and handled them. I do not like the bushmasters too much. I like the Sig M400 and I also like the DPMS Panther A3 16". The sig is about 200 more than the DPMS.

Sig makes great handguns, but their AR isn't particularly wonderful and not worth the price IMO. I never had any problems with Bushmaster, DPMS or RRA. My Stag Arms has been rock solid - that's one to consider, too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Traumabrew (Post 616831)
I am trying to keep it under 1000, plus optics. The guy at the store is trying to set me up with an Eotech holosight. Any input?

I have a Bushnell holosight on mine (Bushnell makes EOTech sights) and it's great. For me, it seriously improved my grouping out past 100 yards. I don't have a scope on mine.

You should be able to do what you want - a complete AR with a decent holosight for around $1000, but assembling your own will almost certainly help keep the costs down.

ShagNasty1001 11-02-2011 02:03 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The Smith & Wesson M&P-15 sport is a great new rifle just introduced and is amazing for beginners with an AR. The only big difference is that it doesn't have a dust cover or forward assist on the side. But comparing it to the regular M&P-15, it's about $200-300 cheaper depending on where you look. I am in love with mine

Attachment 34491


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:28 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.