Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Dpms?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2012, 03:52 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 991 Times on 499 Posts
Likes Given: 2547

Default Dpms?

Looking to get my wife her first Rifle...she's more for aesthetics...i'm trying to teach her the ways in function over form...but it's going to be a long battle.

So far, she hasn't seen a Colt she likes yet... *shaking my head*

She's come across a few she likes, and some of them are DPMS. I have no experience with that company...anyone have any feedback to offer?

They seem "Cheaper" than most...not necessarily a bad thing, just sets off my skepticism a bit.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-09-2012, 04:07 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5272 Times on 2748 Posts
Likes Given: 333

Cheap is a good word for it.

I got a dpms for my wife to get her started. She picked it out because it looked fun... A basic panther m4. Not a great rifle or even a good one. Functional for range use is a good way to look at it. About 2 years later i got her a bcm midlength lightweight and she expressed a desire for a season pass at the range.

I dont know your money situation but any rifle she likes will get her shooting and you can use that as an excuse to get another one later.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

People Like This 
Old 09-09-2012, 04:12 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
Cheap is a good word for it.

I got a dpms for my wife to get her started. She picked it out because it looked fun... A basic panther m4. Not a great rifle or even a good one. Functional for range use is a good way to look at it. About 2 years later i got her a bcm midlength lightweight and she expressed a desire for a season pass at the range.

I dont know your money situation but any rifle she likes will get her shooting and you can use that as an excuse to get another one later.
I'm trying to keep it $1,000 or less...

The thing is, she goes shooting all the time with me...but as she put it, while stomping her foot on the ground "This is MY RIFLE, there will be none like it and this will be MINE!!!"

She's all about how it looks and cares nothing for function...she keeps proclaiming she'll get it duracoated pink (I think i created a monster with her Christmas present Glock....sigh)

i'll check out the BCM ...

so far she's liking a stainless barrel...she's IN LOVE with this one specifically

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/36_793/products_id/61635/DPMS+PANTHER+Semi-Automatic+223+Remington5.56+NATO+30%2B1+Cap

Last edited by PrimePorkchop; 09-09-2012 at 04:15 AM.

Old 09-09-2012, 10:45 AM   #4

Liked 1963 Times on 1164 Posts
Likes Given: 423

DPMS has continued to improve their product line or at least offer improved models that feature some of the options that AR owners want. Like chrome lined barrels, staked gas keys, etc. they actually make some very nice stainless match barrels that are cryo treated and stress relieved. I have seen one of their service rifle uppers with one of these barrels shoot a 6 inch group at 500 yards when I was marking targets in the pits. I asked the shooter on my lane what he was using and he told me it was a Dpms upper with White Oak sights but that the sights were the only upgrade he had done. So I can attest to their ability to build an accurate rifle.

If your wife isn't going to put her AR through hard use the DPMS should be a fine foundation to build on. If you want to get her into shooting for the long haul, you are better off letting her get what she wants.

I built an AR for my wife exactly the way she wanted. Then she didn't really like the stock she had first picked. But we found one she likes better and it is all good now. It let her see why I end up replacing items in an AR until I get it just the way I want it. Hers is built on Stag lower and upper receivers be ause she liked the deer on the side of the lower. I asked her if she wanted a custom color and she said she thought they just looked best in black.

Enjoy the project with your wife. It really will let her feel included if you let her make the decisions on her gun. But do explain what her options are and what the advantages or disadvantages can be of one choice over another. Then let her pick.

Last edited by SSGN_Doc; 09-09-2012 at 11:59 PM.
People Like This 
Old 09-09-2012, 12:42 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post
Elms has continued to improve their product line or at least offer improved models that feature some of the options that AR owners want. Like chrome lined barrels, staked gas keys, etc. they actually make some very nice stainless match barrels that are cryo treated and stress relieved. I have seen one of their service rifle uppers with one of these barrels shoot a 6 inch group at 500 yards when I was marking targets in the pits. I asked the shooter on my lane what he was using and he told me it was a Dpms upper with White Oak sights but that the sights were the only upgrade he had done. So I can attest to their ability to build an accurate rifle.

If your wife isn't going to put her AR through hard use the DPMS should be a fine foundation to build on. If you want to get her into shooting for the long haul, you are better off letting her get what she wants.

I built an AR for my wife exactly the way she wanted. Then she didn't really like the stock she had first picked. But we found one she likes better and it is all good now. It let her see why I end up replacing items in an AR until I get it just the way I want it. Hers is built on Stag lower and upper receivers be ause she liked the deer on the side of the lower. I asked her if she wanted a custom color and she said she thought they just looked best in black.

Enjoy the project with your wife. It really will let her feel included if you let her make the decisions on her gun. But do explain what her options are and what the advantages or disadvantages can be of one choice over another. Then let her pick.

Letting her get what she wants is best way to do it. She can always accessorize later by swapping parts around

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 09-09-2012, 01:20 PM   #6

Good points guys thank you both. As long as DPMS isn't going to fall apart on us... I feel comfortable letting her start there

Old 09-09-2012, 05:07 PM   #7

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

For the price, DPMS is a fine rifle with good quality. Mine is accurate and 100% reliable and my cousin has one also. If you plan on shooting a few hundred rounds per month is will last a long time. If you plan on shooting thousands of rounds per month you may want to upgrade in price/quality.

PrimePorkchop Likes This 
Old 09-09-2012, 07:27 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

it works fine for range use. just dont expect it to be a BCM or Colt or something and you wont be disappointed. if you really want that added reliability swap out the BCG add a good gieselle two stage and replace the commercial buffer tube with a milspec when she decides on a better stock. unless she has really long arms the standard A2 stock as in the picture is a little long for most women to get a decent length of pull without being in a bad firing position. most women do better with an adjustable stock. if she wants the A2 stock thats fine. just upgrade her later to a carbine tube and adjustable when she figures it out.

tghe original parts from our panther M4 are sitting in the safe as backup spares.

Old 09-09-2012, 11:28 PM   #9

Liked 941 Times on 666 Posts
Likes Given: 929

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimePorkchop View Post
I'm trying to keep it $1,000 or less...

I'm sorry but I just don't see it. Why spend up to $1K on a DPMS when there are so many better brands out there in that price range. PSA for one. In fact they just had a nice Labor Day sale but I guess it's over now. I would be very annoyed knowing I spent 1K on a DPMS unless it was .308.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 09-09-2012, 11:59 PM   #10

Liked 181 Times on 102 Posts
Likes Given: 407

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimePorkchop View Post
Good points guys thank you both. As long as DPMS isn't going to fall apart on us... I feel comfortable letting her start there
What about a Stag?
$830 will get you a Stag and a lifetime warranty on the barrel.

https://www.impactguns.com/stag-arms-ar-15-16in-with-carry-handle-and-front-post-1-898559001001.aspx

Last edited by Rarity; 09-10-2012 at 12:03 AM.
dog2000tj Likes This