Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Dpms? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/dpms-72108/)

PrimePorkchop 09-09-2012 03:52 AM

Dpms?

Looking to get my wife her first Rifle...she's more for aesthetics...i'm trying to teach her the ways in function over form...but it's going to be a long battle.

So far, she hasn't seen a Colt she likes yet... *shaking my head*

She's come across a few she likes, and some of them are DPMS. I have no experience with that company...anyone have any feedback to offer?

They seem "Cheaper" than most...not necessarily a bad thing, just sets off my skepticism a bit.

JonM 09-09-2012 04:07 AM

Cheap is a good word for it.

I got a dpms for my wife to get her started. She picked it out because it looked fun... A basic panther m4. Not a great rifle or even a good one. Functional for range use is a good way to look at it. About 2 years later i got her a bcm midlength lightweight and she expressed a desire for a season pass at the range.

I dont know your money situation but any rifle she likes will get her shooting and you can use that as an excuse to get another one later.

PrimePorkchop 09-09-2012 04:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM (Post 933836)
Cheap is a good word for it.

I got a dpms for my wife to get her started. She picked it out because it looked fun... A basic panther m4. Not a great rifle or even a good one. Functional for range use is a good way to look at it. About 2 years later i got her a bcm midlength lightweight and she expressed a desire for a season pass at the range.

I dont know your money situation but any rifle she likes will get her shooting and you can use that as an excuse to get another one later.

I'm trying to keep it $1,000 or less...

The thing is, she goes shooting all the time with me...but as she put it, while stomping her foot on the ground "This is MY RIFLE, there will be none like it and this will be MINE!!!"

She's all about how it looks and cares nothing for function...she keeps proclaiming she'll get it duracoated pink (I think i created a monster with her Christmas present Glock....sigh)

i'll check out the BCM ...

so far she's liking a stainless barrel...she's IN LOVE with this one specifically

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/36_793/products_id/61635/DPMS+PANTHER+Semi-Automatic+223+Remington5.56+NATO+30%2B1+Cap

SSGN_Doc 09-09-2012 10:45 AM

DPMS has continued to improve their product line or at least offer improved models that feature some of the options that AR owners want. Like chrome lined barrels, staked gas keys, etc. they actually make some very nice stainless match barrels that are cryo treated and stress relieved. I have seen one of their service rifle uppers with one of these barrels shoot a 6 inch group at 500 yards when I was marking targets in the pits. I asked the shooter on my lane what he was using and he told me it was a Dpms upper with White Oak sights but that the sights were the only upgrade he had done. So I can attest to their ability to build an accurate rifle.

If your wife isn't going to put her AR through hard use the DPMS should be a fine foundation to build on. If you want to get her into shooting for the long haul, you are better off letting her get what she wants.

I built an AR for my wife exactly the way she wanted. Then she didn't really like the stock she had first picked. But we found one she likes better and it is all good now. It let her see why I end up replacing items in an AR until I get it just the way I want it. Hers is built on Stag lower and upper receivers be ause she liked the deer on the side of the lower. I asked her if she wanted a custom color and she said she thought they just looked best in black.

Enjoy the project with your wife. It really will let her feel included if you let her make the decisions on her gun. But do explain what her options are and what the advantages or disadvantages can be of one choice over another. Then let her pick.

JonM 09-09-2012 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc (Post 933999)
Elms has continued to improve their product line or at least offer improved models that feature some of the options that AR owners want. Like chrome lined barrels, staked gas keys, etc. they actually make some very nice stainless match barrels that are cryo treated and stress relieved. I have seen one of their service rifle uppers with one of these barrels shoot a 6 inch group at 500 yards when I was marking targets in the pits. I asked the shooter on my lane what he was using and he told me it was a Dpms upper with White Oak sights but that the sights were the only upgrade he had done. So I can attest to their ability to build an accurate rifle.

If your wife isn't going to put her AR through hard use the DPMS should be a fine foundation to build on. If you want to get her into shooting for the long haul, you are better off letting her get what she wants.

I built an AR for my wife exactly the way she wanted. Then she didn't really like the stock she had first picked. But we found one she likes better and it is all good now. It let her see why I end up replacing items in an AR until I get it just the way I want it. Hers is built on Stag lower and upper receivers be ause she liked the deer on the side of the lower. I asked her if she wanted a custom color and she said she thought they just looked best in black.

Enjoy the project with your wife. It really will let her feel included if you let her make the decisions on her gun. But do explain what her options are and what the advantages or disadvantages can be of one choice over another. Then let her pick.

Letting her get what she wants is best way to do it. She can always accessorize later by swapping parts around

PrimePorkchop 09-09-2012 01:20 PM

Good points guys thank you both. As long as DPMS isn't going to fall apart on us... I feel comfortable letting her start there

1911Jeeper 09-09-2012 05:07 PM

For the price, DPMS is a fine rifle with good quality. Mine is accurate and 100% reliable and my cousin has one also. If you plan on shooting a few hundred rounds per month is will last a long time. If you plan on shooting thousands of rounds per month you may want to upgrade in price/quality.

JonM 09-09-2012 07:27 PM

it works fine for range use. just dont expect it to be a BCM or Colt or something and you wont be disappointed. if you really want that added reliability swap out the BCG add a good gieselle two stage and replace the commercial buffer tube with a milspec when she decides on a better stock. unless she has really long arms the standard A2 stock as in the picture is a little long for most women to get a decent length of pull without being in a bad firing position. most women do better with an adjustable stock. if she wants the A2 stock thats fine. just upgrade her later to a carbine tube and adjustable when she figures it out.

tghe original parts from our panther M4 are sitting in the safe as backup spares.

Quentin 09-09-2012 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PrimePorkchop (Post 933843)
I'm trying to keep it $1,000 or less...

I'm sorry but I just don't see it. Why spend up to $1K on a DPMS when there are so many better brands out there in that price range. PSA for one. In fact they just had a nice Labor Day sale but I guess it's over now. I would be very annoyed knowing I spent 1K on a DPMS unless it was .308.

Rarity 09-09-2012 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PrimePorkchop (Post 934066)
Good points guys thank you both. As long as DPMS isn't going to fall apart on us... I feel comfortable letting her start there

What about a Stag? :p
$830 will get you a Stag and a lifetime warranty on the barrel.

https://www.impactguns.com/stag-arms-ar-15-16in-with-carry-handle-and-front-post-1-898559001001.aspx