Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   DPMS (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/dpms-63455/)

andlar 04-27-2012 05:02 PM

DPMS
 
Hats everybody's thought on dpms panther arms? I recently received a light 16. Seems pretty accurate with a 1x magnification aim point at 200yrds...only problem i have found is have to keep very well oiled for rapid fire or it jams..plus anybody know why u can't use steel casing rounds?

locutus 04-28-2012 02:55 PM

I only have one DPMS.

It's the LR-308-AP4.

(Basically, the M-4 version of their 7.62X51)

It's a truly superb rifle, MOA accurate with ball ammo, utterly reliable, and onlt 3/4 lb heavier than the 5.56X45 version.

Some folks here have had less than satisfactory experience with DPMS. Consider their opinions as well as mine before deciding. My limited personal experience with DPMS has been very good.

mountainman13 04-28-2012 03:20 PM

Is it .223 or 5.56? If its not rated for 5.56 the increased pressures of mil-surp ammo could potentially cause catastrophic failure.

orangello 04-28-2012 03:26 PM

One of my shooting buddies has a DPMS panther in 5.56. It has served his plinking needs just fine, but it doesn't like wolf/steel-cased ammo either. From the DPMS complaints i've read, it appears that when people who into Colts and Daniel Defense other higher end/big name AR's, it appears that the more "entry level" rifles like DPMS pale by comparison a bit in the polish/fit & finish department. That is just my opinion; i may misunderstand the anti-DPMS comments.

locutus 04-29-2012 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mountainman13 (Post 784512)
Is it .223 or 5.56? If its not rated for 5.56 the increased pressures of mil-surp ammo could potentially cause catastrophic failure.

It's 7.62X51

dragunovsks 04-29-2012 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orangello
One of my shooting buddies has a DPMS panther in 5.56. It has served his plinking needs just fine, but it doesn't like wolf/steel-cased ammo either. From the DPMS complaints i've read, it appears that when people who into Colts and Daniel Defense other higher end/big name AR's, it appears that the more "entry level" rifles like DPMS pale by comparison a bit in the polish/fit & finish department. That is just my opinion; i may misunderstand the anti-DPMS comments.

Ive heard that too about the DPMS rifles...my century arms A2 will digest anything in the mag, steel or brass cases.

rifleman1 04-29-2012 06:23 PM

i have a dpms a15 and i shoot both brass and steel ammo and have yet to have a problem.

Todd_ 04-29-2012 07:41 PM

DPMS is sort of like playing the lottery. Their quality control just isn't that great, so there is a chance you will get a rifle that functions great, is very accurate, and can eat any ammo.

But there is also a pretty sizable chance that you will get one that has manufacturing defects or loose tolerances that can cause problems such as repeated FTF or FTE malfunctions, poor finish, upper/lower slop, or a number of other issues.

I'm not well versed on the DPMS line atm, I forgot most of the things I learned about them when I did the research for my first rifle, but I believe they also use some lower quality components. How much worse will 4140 steel be than 4150, I can't say, but it is a softer steel.

Both things listen above are the reasons why people bash DPMS so much. It's totally possible to get a good rifle from them that functions well and performs great, but it's the chance that you won't that turns so many off... And the chance is far greater with DPMS than with the higher end companies like BCM or Daniel Defense.

And before anyone goes off on my statements as being just "word of mouth" and not fact, those are just PERSONAL observations. They produce a lot of rifles, so there is a higher chance for us to see bad rifles from them due to the higher quantity on the market, but the complaints definitely don't seem proportional... It seems you will read about 50 issues with DPMS for every one from Colt/DD/BCM/Noveske and even Spikes and PSA combined.

Gatoragn 04-29-2012 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rifleman1 (Post 785549)
i have a dpms a15 and i shoot both brass and steel ammo and have yet to have a problem.

I concur with this statement, my DPMS shoots both brass and steel case ammo without any problems.

JTJ 04-29-2012 09:17 PM

Mine shoots both.


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:33 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.