Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Dpms? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/dpms-44279/)

freefall 06-24-2011 03:12 AM

Dpms?

So. Once again I appear begging advice on an AR. Local shop has DPMS Oracles for $699. Seems like a good deal, is it a good rifle? Spostmans Guide is selling a complete Sportical rifle kit less stripped lower for $549 plus shipping. I can get a stripped lower locally for $110. So I could save $40 less shipping and put it together myself but I'd still have a basically DPMS.
The thing is, I'm not sure I'm sold on the whole AR platform (heresy, I know) I'm just an old guy with no military experience and find them a bit uncomfortable. So if I decide to sell it I think a factory rifle would find a readier resale market than the first one I built. Anyways, thanks for your input. (Unless you're a butt.)

CHLChris 06-24-2011 04:10 AM

I was listing the brands of my guns the other day with a friend just for fun until I got to my AR...which has half a dozen brands of things, at least.

You may be right about a single name-brand AR being easier to resale, but only if that name is Colt or Smith & Wesson. Any knowledgeable AR buyer would be just fine with a list of parts. At least I would be. Personally, I'd rather buy a rifle of parts than an off-the-shelf marketed rifle.

Why do you want an AR? What needs do you have that would be fulfilled by an AR?

freefall 06-24-2011 04:18 AM

Just seems to be a hole in my assortment. The most common round and platform in our country. You know. Otherwise I'm pretty comfortable with a Marlin 30-30.

CHLChris 06-24-2011 04:23 AM

Would building an AR lower, and throwing on an upper kit, be fun for you? I found the process really fun!

If not, then buying something off the rack can't have too many downsides, IMO.

But, you might notice I'm staying away from brand suggestions. I have no advice on your actual question.

freefall 06-24-2011 04:32 AM

I think it would be fun and more important interesting. If I find I like the platform and bother to learn what constitutes a good set of parts I intend to do it someday. Now I'm just thinking about trying out the platform and not getting burned too badly if I decide to opt out.

russ 06-24-2011 04:46 AM

Nothing wrong with DPMS IMHO. However $699 is only $10 under MSRP, so not really a smoking deal. You could do better if you shop around. Del-Ton has good deals on rifle kits and you should be able to find a lower for under $100. If you don't want to roll your own, the $699 price is not terrible, it's just not smoking either.

SANTA-CRUZ-ARMORY 06-24-2011 04:57 AM

There are lots of good deals out there right now. You just need to shop around. Shoot me a PM or an email if you have any questions.

freefall 06-24-2011 04:58 AM

Seems pretty good for Alaska.:cool: Chimos had a S&W for $699 a month ago, I was dubious of their quality.

Quentin 06-24-2011 05:18 AM

freefall, either of your suggestions is a bargain basement AR and nothing more. Certainly not exciting, I sure wouldn't want them. So I don't know how much you'd get for either if selling used, if you don't like the platform after all. Your buyer would have to be a novice I'd say for you to get a good return on your investment. There probably would be other used ARs more attractive to potential buyers.

As many of us here will suggest, building is a lot of fun plus I bet you'll be much more pleased with the overall result. But I would get better parts and maybe come in around $800-900, which really isn't so bad since you can spread the cost over a few months. But it's your decision and I guess it comes down to how much you're willing to gamble filling that hole in your collection.

Really it's time to figure out what your uses are then start researching what will work best for you. I'm an older guy also and carried the M16 in Vietnam so when I decided to build my first AR in 2008, I thought I'd go retro. But after much research and parts shortages due to the election I ended up going with an up to date design in 2009. Then I did it all over again in 2010. Lots of fun and I'd never buy an AR off the shelf, no way. Both came in around $800-900 and are much better than anything off the shelf in my town. I wouldn't sell either one of them.

I'd recommend taking your time and reading through some of the build threads here. You'll be glad you did!

mjkeat 06-24-2011 01:55 PM

A DPMS will bring sh*t for resale.

As far as building one most will shy away from a home built AR especially guys who know the platform or use their AR hard.

I just picked up a little gem on another sites equipment exchange for a smoking deal, $450. The upper was easily worth $700+. The muzzle device alone was worth $155. Its basically NIB w/ only 300 rounds through it. I could easily sell it for much more than I paid.

For $300 I can get a very high quality lower to slap the upper on. Netting me a $750 professional quality rifle w/ tremendous resale. Not only that but guys would line up to purchase it if I decided to part w/ it.

My point is you can pick up some great deals on slightly used, QUALITY equipment. Look around and take your time. Do not short change yourself just because its your first. Did you try and find the ugliest girl to have sex w/ because you were a virgin? ;)