Doublestar any good? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion >

Doublestar any good?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2009, 03:33 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Gus - Check out this thread.

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f53/wts-ea-ar15-lowers-12023/

I'll help you build one if you want to do it right and with your own hands....

JD
I like the props Jeepcreep gave 'em. JD, if it's not too much trouble, could you make a list of all the components I would need.? So far I can think of:
1. Lower
2. Upper/stock
3. Trigger assembly
4. Barrel
5. Bolt/bolt carrier
6. Pin kit
I'm more concerned with my ability to pick quality parts than anything else. Are all of the components drop in?

If Obama is the answer, then the question must have been stupid.

Last edited by supergus; 03-20-2009 at 03:42 PM.

Old 03-20-2009, 03:44 PM   #12

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3486 Times on 1612 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by supergus View Post
I like the props Jeepcreep gave 'em. JD, if it's not too much trouble, could you make a list of all the components I would need.? So far I can think of:
1. Lower
2. Upper/stock
3. Trigger assembly
4. Barrel
5. Bolt/bolt carrier
6. Pin kit
I'm more concerned with my ability to pick quality parts than anything else.
1. Lower - Any lower will do as long as it's not cast. You want a milled receiver, not some piece of Chinese cast pot metal. All lowers are pretty much the same except for Colt ( where's Canebreak?? ) who made a bunch with large pin Take Down and Pivot Pins, so you need a Colt upper to go with a Colt Lower...

2. Upper - Can buy any upper receiver, or you can buy a complete upper and slap it on. For a first timer, buying a complete upper is easier, but junho came in with NO KNOWLEDGE of the platform and built his from the ground up on his own and it works just fine. If you can get a matching upper and lower, that is great, but it's not neccesary in this day and age of CNC machining and tighter tolerances...

2a. Stock - Depends on what you want. A standard A2 fixed stock is solid and cheap. A CTR collapsible is a great piece of kit that gives you 6 positions for multiple activities, but costs quite a bit more. There are about 60 options inbetween the two, all of which you can install quite easily...

3. Trigger assembly - Depends on what you want the gun to do. If you want a longer range shooter, then a two stage is prefered. IF you want a CQB gun, a single stage trigger will do you just fine. Lots of options, we can discuss needs and availability on this one later on...

4. Barrel - Dpends on what you want to build. Definitely the hardest to get parts right now. No one is just selling AR barrels, they are selling complete uppers, or complete guns. However, there are sources for barrels can be had that have less wait time than 5 months...

5. Bolt/bolt carrier - Don't believe the hype. You DO NOT need a Ti bolt and carrier. Nor do you need a $500 Lobster claw built bolt extractor on a custom CNC turned bolt. Standard bolt and carrier is good, there are a couple of others that are a bit better, but again, it depends on the type of activity you want to go for. There are lots of options out there for Bolt and Carrier....

6. Pin kit - I think you mean Lower Parts Kit. Any Lower Parts kit will work, but a kit from Brownells will have everything you need, and the only thing I would change would be the handle. I really like the MIAD grips, but they are a bit more expensive.

You're a Jeep Guy, you can't possibly WANT to buy someone else's work, it's in your damn DNA to put sh!t together yourself... LOL

JD

Old 03-20-2009, 04:04 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post

You're a Jeep Guy, you can't possibly WANT to buy someone else's work, it's in your damn DNA to put sh!t together yourself... LOL

JD
Ain't that the truth! To be honest, had I known a complete gun would've taken so long I would have built one from the get go. You've got me feeling better about things; I'm headed to the gun shop and if he can't give me a definite ETA, I'm gonna start shopping for parts. Be forwarned though JD, you may be slammed with PM's from me over the next couple of months.

If Obama is the answer, then the question must have been stupid.

Old 03-20-2009, 04:11 PM   #14

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3486 Times on 1612 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by supergus View Post
Ain't that the truth! To be honest, had I known a complete gun would've taken so long I would have built one from the get go. You've got me feeling better about things; I'm headed to the gun shop and if he can't give me a definite ETA, I'm gonna start shopping for parts. Be forwarned though JD, you may be slammed with PM's from me over the next couple of months.

That's funny how you assume that I am already NOT inundated with PM's about AR builds... LOL

Seriously, the lower, will be a piece of cake for you. And then you will be asking me why I didn't push you into building one earlier... LOL

JD