Doublestar any good?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Doublestar any good?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2009, 08:37 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Doublestar any good?

Guys,
I've been waiting for a DPMS Bull Twenty 20" for 5 months and I'm getting impatient. A local gun shop has a Doublestar Super Match 24" rifle in stock for $1,200 + tax/fees. Anybody have any experience with or knowledge of Doublestar's quality? Please respond quickly; I'm headed there tomorrow if it seems to be a good deal. Thanks.

In God We Trust. (Everyone else, hands where I can see 'em)

If Obama is the answer, then the question must have been stupid.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-19-2009, 08:55 PM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by supergus View Post
Guys,
I've been waiting for a DPMS Bull Twenty 20" for 5 months and I'm getting impatient. A local gun shop has a Doublestar Super Match 24" rifle in stock for $1,200 + tax/fees. Anybody have any experience with or knowledge of Doublestar's quality? Please respond quickly; I'm headed there tomorrow if it seems to be a good deal. Thanks.
Full build? I would pass on that, especially at that price Gus. That's gouging right there.

For a receiver, upper & lower, they can be made to work just fine, but that is a lot of money for what isn't a lot of quality parts.

For what it's worth - if you can get a run down of the parts they used, it might be worth the dough, but I would expect a good internal parts kit, a real good barrel and some swag to go with it ( mags, a drag/carry bag / something...)

JD

Old 03-19-2009, 10:59 PM   #3

How about a Bushmaster 20" for $1,200? Both have free floating hand guards,two stage match trigger. Last year I would never have paid over 1k for a heavy barrel AR style, but obviously supply and demand has done it's job; and I don't have a problem with that. But I want to get the best quality I can. I also don't think I'm ready to build one from the ground up. I think I need to have an AR and learn my way around one before I build one.

Old 03-19-2009, 11:14 PM   #4

Liked 3737 Times on 1825 Posts
Likes Given: 13270

Why so impatient? Is the DPMS ordered or are you just waiting for one to show up at the shop?

I got my DPMS AR10 for that price plus $40 for the transfer. It may be a bit much but it was in stock so I had no wait. As for the AR-15 we who came to the table late are paying more but it doesn't have to be that much more. I am in the ballpark of $950 on both my 5.56 and .458. Although I'll be waiting until June/July before parts start coming in.

I'd listen to Dillinger - be patient, shop around online, get the parts yourself, assemble it and if you don't feel comfortable then take it to a shop to get checked. Good luck.

Old 03-19-2009, 11:43 PM   #5

Quote:
How about a Bushmaster 20" for $1,200? Both have free floating hand guards,two stage match trigger. Last year I would never have paid over 1k for a heavy barrel AR style, but obviously supply and demand has done it's job; and I don't have a problem with that. But I want to get the best quality I can. I also don't think I'm ready to build one from the ground up. I think I need to have an AR and learn my way around one before I build one.
Bushmaster built? Or Bushmaster parts assembled by someone else?

2 stage match trigger is good. Free floated hand guard is good, but who makes it? Who makes the barrel? Optics? BUIS?

JD

Old 03-20-2009, 12:33 AM   #6

Gus - Check out this thread.

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f53/wts-ea-ar15-lowers-12023/

I'll help you build one if you want to do it right and with your own hands....

JD

Old 03-20-2009, 01:55 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog2000tj View Post
Why so impatient? Is the DPMS ordered or are you just waiting for one to show up at the shop?

I got my DPMS AR10 for that price plus $40 for the transfer. It may be a bit much but it was in stock so I had no wait. As for the AR-15 we who came to the table late are paying more but it doesn't have to be that much more. I am in the ballpark of $950 on both my 5.56 and .458. Although I'll be waiting until June/July before parts start coming in.

I'd listen to Dillinger - be patient, shop around online, get the parts yourself, assemble it and if you don't feel comfortable then take it to a shop to get checked. Good luck.
Why so impatient? Are you kiddin'?! I ordered it 5 months ago from my gun shop. But even then DPMS was getting backlogged. The gun shop just ordered "x" amount of bull barrel 20" guns. I emailed DPMS a month or so ago and they said they were 90,000 guns backlogged. My gun shop just gets phone calls from distributors who say " we have x number of whatever...do you want 'em?" The gun shop says "send me what you have" So it could be a week or it could be two more months. Since the gun isn't ordered in my name(it's first come first serve), if any AWB goes through I won't be grandfathered in so I really want it soon. I know the price will be more than the original quote ($970) most likely over 1k, why not buy one now and have it in my itchy little fingers tomorrow? And I really don't trust myself to buy the correct, high quality parts to build one
JD, it is Bushmaster built from the factory: flat top, aluminum free floating handguard,20" heavy barrel, no sights, but I have a scope/rings.

Old 03-20-2009, 02:20 AM   #8

Quote:
And I really don't trust myself to buy the correct, high quality parts to build one
Okay, 1) - That is what I am here for. We're friends? No? You think I would steer you wrong?

Quote:
JD, it is Bushmaster built from the factory: flat top, aluminum free floating handguard,20" heavy barrel, no sights, but I have a scope/rings.
You're good to go if it's straight from Bushmaster. It's over-priced, but the market is what it is right now. If you are comfortable with it, you should be fine.

BUT

Check these two things for me:

1) what is the rifling in the barrel? What twist rate?

2) What is the chamber cut for? Civilian .223 and Military 5.56 are different chambers. You want the 5.56 Nato for SHTF scenarios...

JD

Old 03-20-2009, 03:11 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Okay, 1) - That is what I am here for. We're friends? No? You think I would steer you wrong?

You're good to go if it's straight from Bushmaster. It's over-priced, but the market is what it is right now. If you are comfortable with it, you should be fine.

BUT

Check these two things for me:

1) what is the rifling in the barrel? What twist rate?

2) What is the chamber cut for? Civilian .223 and Military 5.56 are different chambers. You want the 5.56 Nato for SHTF scenarios...

JD
JD,
1) yep, friends we are
2) I trust your opinion and input.
Here is the Bushmaster:
Bushmaster - Product Catalog - Hunting Rifles

Old 03-20-2009, 03:03 PM   #10

Quote:
JD,
1) yep, friends we are
2) I trust your opinion and input.
Here is the Bushmaster:
Bushmaster - Product Catalog - Hunting Rifles
It's not perfect for SHTF end of the world application, but it's plenty fine for most applications you would come across Gus. At $1200, I still think it's a bit high, but that is what the market will bear right now.

It will shoot the lighter NATO rounds ( 55 grain ) and the 1:8 twist will also shoot the heavier grain stuff for hunting bullets.

Don't plan on dropping much below the 55 grain stuff though with that barrel twist

JD