Done!
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Done!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2012, 04:49 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Done!

Well, I finally finished my build! That lower sat all finished waiting for the upper to come in for over a month. Not to mention that I bought parts and the lower over a 3 month period. Here is the list:

PSA lower
RRA LPK
VLTOR IMOD stock
PSA striped upper
YHM 1:7 barrel 16"
YHM free float, rifle length diamond rail
Leatherwood CMR 1-4 optic with Burris PEPR mount.

This is my first, I was planning to order a complete upper but my LGS talked me into building. He was great and let me use all of his tools and guided me through the upper build. If anyone is in Tampa, fl area hit me up, he is new and his prices are fantastic. Best part is he is not some GI Joe cowboy pr!ck like so many other gunshop owners can be (at least around here)!

I hope the pics post, haven't done this either on the phone. Range report after the weekend, I have a lot of ammo to put together!

Ryan...RLTW!

image-2144767247.jpg   image-713867385.jpg  

Mala Malis Facimus

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-10-2012, 04:52 AM   #2

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Good looking rifle, well done! Only downfall is that thing is way too clean

"If guns kill people then does that mean the spoon is the reason Rosie O'Donnell is fat"

"Guns don't kill people.......People kill people"

Old 02-10-2012, 02:20 PM   #3

Liked 42 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 2

.....and they are never really "done."

XD-40 service, XD-9sc, member GeorgiaCarry.Org, National Rifle Association, Gun Owners of America, North American Hunting Club, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation

Old 02-10-2012, 02:30 PM   #4

Not really into flashlights and lasers and such. Had my fun with that stuff in the military. Not planning to kick any doors in the near future (unfortunately). I am going to mount a sling so it is easier to carry on the 4wheeler. This was built for close range hog and deer hunting in Florida and Georgia.

Next step is to research premium bullets and come up with an accurate load.

Ryan...RLTW!

Mala Malis Facimus

Old 02-10-2012, 05:38 PM   #5

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMP1394-RLTW View Post
Not really into flashlights and lasers and such. Had my fun with that stuff in the military. Not planning to kick any doors in the near future (unfortunately). I am going to mount a sling so it is easier to carry on the 4wheeler. This was built for close range hog and deer hunting in Florida and Georgia.

Next step is to research premium bullets and come up with an accurate load.

Ryan...RLTW!
I meant you need go shoot that sucker and get it dirty

"If guns kill people then does that mean the spoon is the reason Rosie O'Donnell is fat"

Old 02-11-2012, 12:50 AM   #6

Oops, I hear ya! I have been trimming brass all night. Hopefully I will be all loaded with at lease 100 rounds by tomorrow at the latest. I will post pics of the targets as far as grouping goes.

The trigger seems really heavy. Smooth, but still heavy, I would bet 7-8 lbs. will this lighten up or do I need to change springs?

Ryan...RLTW!

Mala Malis Facimus

Old 02-12-2012, 01:55 AM   #7

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMP1394-RLTW View Post
Oops, I hear ya! I have been trimming brass all night. Hopefully I will be all loaded with at lease 100 rounds by tomorrow at the latest. I will post pics of the targets as far as grouping goes.

The trigger seems really heavy. Smooth, but still heavy, I would bet 7-8 lbs. will this lighten up or do I need to change springs?

Ryan...RLTW!
The only thing that changed on my stock, milspec trigger after 1000 + rounds was it got just a little bit smoother with the same heavy pull but i adapted to it and learned to like it. Of course ended up picking up a Geissele SSA two stage trigger for my next build and absolutely love it so far. As soon as i finish my new rifle, the milspec trigger will go back into my SHTF rifle
(would much rather have a heavy trigger so as to guarantee the gun only goes off if i want it to while under stress-i'm guessing this is why the military came up with that specification in the first place)and the Geissele into my new rifle. That's just my preference though YMMV.

Old 02-12-2012, 06:27 AM   #8

Very nice!

Need some great gear or ammunition for your gun? Check it out: http://www.strikehardgear.com/

Old 02-13-2012, 03:36 AM   #9

I was able to get out and shoot today. This rifle performed flawless! It wasn't a very good test since I didn't get to run much ammo through it. I started with zeroing at 25, 50, & finally 100 yds.

Once I got it dialed in with some hand loads I made for my dad, I started with the attached target ( fired at 25 yds). I made 3 ea bullets of progressing load increasing in 1/2 grain increments starting with 23 gr (H335 was the powder). This is a new powder for me so I really didn't know how it would perform. At the bottom of the target, I loaded some Barnes 62gr xbullets with 24.5 gr of H335. As you can see it shoots much better than I can. I was happy with the results an incredibly happy with the rifle.

I think that the 23 gr load grouping was a fluke but I was in a hurry and couldn't load any more sample rounds before I left for the range. I need to duplicate this test again with more ammo to be sure before I start cranking out the ammo.

I fired these groups using the mag as a support. I really need to get a rest one of these days.

Thanks for ready and I welcome your comments (good or bad). I was planning to buy a colt defender as my next purchase (probably not until next year). But after this build I am really thinking about a light weight carbine to resemble my M4 from the military. Less the select fire option and 14.5" barrel of course.

By the way, all this bushmaster bashing going on, my m4 was a bushmaster. I was in a special operations unit an we had a mix of Colts and bushmasters. I put thousands upon thousands of rounds through it over 4 years and never once had a single hiccup!

Thanks for reading gentlemen!

Ryan...RLTW!

image-2462517440.jpg   image-1811755768.jpg  

Mala Malis Facimus

Old 02-13-2012, 04:21 AM   #10

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Nothing beats the first shots out of your freshly built AR, can't wait to feel it again . Those are some pretty good groups bud, you should be proud of that right there, enjoy your new firearm Good shooting