Does honing your trigger damage it?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Does honing your trigger damage it?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2013, 04:38 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts

Default Does honing your trigger damage it?

I just finished up with the 15 minute trigger ;upgrade; if you will . I was surprised that such a small amount of compound could ,on only a few cycles of the hammer smooth out the gritty pull . Well my question is will honing your sears harm them ? Of course it could harm it if you were too aggressive and filed away the hardend steel i I get that. Also what about the topic of bobbing your hammer ? Any input ?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-03-2013, 07:13 AM   #2

Liked 1069 Times on 752 Posts
Likes Given: 1073

No one can say for sure, it depends on how careful you were. Time will tell though. Why do you want to bob the hammer? Did you cut the hammer spring too? Sounds to me like a good way to end up with an unreliable rifle.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 01-03-2013, 04:18 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2983 Times on 1554 Posts
Likes Given: 275

I would not bob the hammer. It will do NOTHING to improve your trigger pull. There is/was however a factory bobbed hammer set up offered by Colt. The light weight hammer weighed 1/3 less and came with a hammer spring that was 1/2 the tension. The reduced trigger tension resulted in much nicer trigger feel. A lighter hammer requires less spring tension to acheive the same impact.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 01-03-2013, 06:48 PM   #4

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin
No one can say for sure, it depends on how careful you were. Time will tell though. Why do you want to bob the hammer? Did you cut the hammer spring too? Sounds to me like a good way to end up with an unreliable rifle.
Yes I cut the hammer spring .25 but it was an extra one I had laying around . I have I say it made a difference . As far as bobbing the hammer I was puzzled myself why people would bob it. To make it lighter and faster ? Don't know but can't see putting a hacksaw or grinder to my hammer . Ouch I shot five rounds out of the rifle with no problems I guess we will see . Ill let y'all know if any failures come up with my home trigger job .

Old 01-03-2013, 07:13 PM   #5

Liked 1069 Times on 752 Posts
Likes Given: 1073

I'd put the good hammer spring in.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

locutus Likes This 
Old 01-04-2013, 05:55 AM   #6

One thing you can do to improve trigger pull is to get an anti-walk pin for the trigger and install the spring beneath the trigger pin. It is important in a stock trigger that all surfaces mate squarely. Taking too much off of the trigger will indeed lower the life of the trigger because it is only surface hardened. I simply polish them with a piece of 1500 grit paper and a piece of hard leather until they are mirror finished. Can't do any better than that and it removes very little of the surface.