Does anyone use G96 all in one gun treatment?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Does anyone use G96 all in one gun treatment?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2011, 12:07 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Does anyone use G96 all in one gun treatment?

I have just recently bought an R25 and a AR15. I've always used G96 all in one gun treatment on my 12guage and 30/30 pumps. I've watched all kinds of youtube videos on breaking down and cleaning my new AR's. Yet as I'm having no issue with that, I am simply not as familiar with its needs. I've never been in the military nor has any of my family so I figured I'd ask my question here.

I've found a bunch of different advice on Google searches. From using high temp grease to break down and oiling kits. Can I use my G96 as an all in one cleaner and lubricant on my AR's? It's website says it meet military standards, yet is almost never sold in stores.

On another note.....do I need to clean the gas tube?

Thanks

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Edmund Burke

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-16-2011, 10:47 PM   #2
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2555 Times on 1249 Posts
Likes Given: 1285

Cody,

First of all I do not believe in the concept that it is an all in one product. Solvent is Solvent and Lubricant is a Lubricant! Solvent is for dissolving carbon and residue. And lubricant is for lubricating weapons. You can use no finer product than G-96 for your AR. It is an excellent lubricant and in fact it is all Rock River Arms Inc. uses on their rifles prior to leaving the armory. I have also used it for several years for some demanding demonstration and testing. It is a very good product. You can not go wrong with using it as you have in the past.

Old 04-19-2011, 10:47 PM   #3

Thanks for the info. Could you tell me if I need to clean the gas tube on the AR?

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Edmund Burke

Old 04-20-2011, 05:17 AM   #4

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

I will second the high praise for G96.

Cleaning the gas tube is recommended every 500 rds, or so. Though I've exceeded that number by a factor of several and had no issues.

I clean mine by spraying Kroil into the tube and letting soak overnight. Then running the long pipe stem cleaners through it, and blasting it with carb cleaner or gun scrubber.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 04-22-2011, 05:22 PM   #5

Thank you.

Edmund Burke

Old 04-22-2011, 05:36 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I find it useful as a lubricant when removing surface rust. I also use it for a quick spray and wipe down after I clean a gun rather than RemOil. (which I used to use)

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams